A "How ya goin'?" from Van Dieman's Land

Euphoric Mania

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings. :)

I am an American born, California-bred chick who has been living in Australia (Tasmania) since 2010. I happened to find this group by chance when looking up a question for a bit of writing, and thought it might be fun to join.

Most of my writing consists of fan-fiction... which some will no doubt think is a bit of a cop out, but I enjoy it. I have a few of my own little pieces, very short, and am also currently working on a few other ideas.

I am a flaky writer at best (as far as writing things down, anyway), but I love it and have been creating stories since I could string words together into coherent sentences.

I enjoy fantasy/sci-fi the most, but have taken an interest in post-apoc stuff and educational lit recently too. I have many hobbies and activities that influence my writing, and I'm always looking for experiences to write about.

Pleased to meet you.

-Eup

Howard Beale

Mad as Hell!
Registered
Reaction score
I am an American born, California-bred chick who has been living in Australia (Tasmania) since 2010.

I only discovered yesterday that Tasmania is an island, I never knew!

Anyway, welcome to you. There is tremendous wisdom to be found within this ancient well, so drink deep.

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elldimensional.wordpress.com
Welcome! Fan fiction is how I became serious about writing. It's a great way to start, in my opinion, and ten years later I periodically entertain the idea to do it again. I think it's fun because there's no stress about publishing and the characters are there for the molding. Best of luck with your writing!

sb118 James

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.starbase118.net

Most of my writing consists of fan-fiction... which some will no doubt think is a bit of a cop out, but I enjoy it. I have a few of my own little pieces, very short, and am also currently working on a few other ideas.

-Eup

Hi and welcome! I'm pleased to meet you. :)

I have only just joined this community myself and was taking a look to see who else is new around here. I'm actually glad to see that you're into fan fiction as I am into that too, and role playing.

I am also primarily interested in fantasy/sci-fi and a bit of horror. :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Publius

Hummin', comin', atcha . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to meet you Euphoric Mania. Welcome to the forum.

Euphoric Mania

Registered
Reaction score
Hi and welcome! I'm pleased to meet you. :)

I have only just joined this community myself and was taking a look to see who else is new around here. I'm actually glad to see that you're into fan fiction as I am into that too, and role playing.

I am also primarily interested in fantasy/sci-fi and a bit of horror. :)

Ah yes! I've done a fair bit of role playing myself. From about 2003 to about oh... what 2007? 2008? Then I suffered a massive creativity crash 'n' burn after three very hard years of employment (two jobs, six days a week... I only knew what day of the week it was because I only had one day off and I was always desperate for it to arrive!) This not only affected my writing, but also my art (I enjoy drawing), and even cooking became a chore (I am technically a certified baker, but haven't used my skill set since I moved down here).

My favorite part of role playing was the character and world building. I have/had so much fun with that, and my character collection is nearing 200 I think. (Mind you, most haven't seen the light of day in years, so I dunno if I'd be able to play them well anymore, seeing as my personality has shifted over those years as well).

annapalooza

Learning about time management
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I too was a fanfictioner (intermittently still am?). There's always strong opinions on the matter here, but I think the quote is "those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" so have at it. :D
I've also got a hankering for sci-fi and fantasy! And I have a perpetual fear of all the things in Australia that can kill you, so congratulations on surviving so far!

Euphoric Mania

Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, most of the things that can kill you have more common sense than humans do, and you hardly ever see them, lol. In four years here, I've seen one Tiger snake. I've seen a few spiders, but I either squash them or see them outside and just leave them alone. I've been bitten once by a jack jumper, and that was because he was biting the paw of my friends dog, and I accidentally brushed the ant onto me when I was trying to figure out what was wrong with the dog. And even that was only about 30 minutes of discomfort.

It's not nearly as bad as folks think. :p

annapalooza

Learning about time management
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I believe you, but I just have the most paranoid fear of spiders that ever was or ever will be. So if a spider bigger than a dollar showed up somewhere, even in the corner of my view, I'd probably just up and drop dead. But I'm glad to hear it's not too bad for you though! :D