A hard liquor thread?

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
There are a lot of really good Scotches that are reasonably priced. Whiskies from Kilchoman, Ardbeg, and Arran distilleries are good examples. (Though, to be fair, you're talking US$45-60 a bottle--"expensive" being relative, of course.)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
This is the danger of nice drinks. The actually good stuff is always expensive.

It's interesting, because you can get very tasty inexpensive wine, but for liquor, in the main, you kinda get what you pay for.

I basically only like scotch I can't afford.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
My problem is I like obscure stuff. I like Beirao, a Portuguese liqueur, but I have yet to find it in the Cleveland area. I'm currently nursing a bottle a late friend of mine gave me (he lived near Cambridge, MA which has a good sized Portuguese population).

Another one I've a taste for that I've yet to find near me is Sabra, an Israeli chocolate-orange liqueur. Fortunately, we ended up buy two bottles the last time we visited my husband's parents -- but they're all the way out in St. Louis!

I have found a source for both grappa and soju near me, so there is that at least. :D

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
This is the danger of nice drinks. The actually good stuff is always expensive.

There are a lot of really good Scotches that are reasonably priced. Whiskies from Kilchoman, Ardbeg, and Arran distilleries are good examples. (Though, to be fair, you're talking US$45-60 a bottle--"expensive" being relative, of course.)

It's interesting, because you can get very tasty inexpensive wine, but for liquor, in the main, you kinda get what you pay for.

I basically only like scotch I can't afford.
Yep, yep and yep. You can get good scotches, but I can't afford $130 per bottle for Lagavulin 16. It was a stretch when it was $70ish but now? No way. I'm not going to pay $25 for a wee dram at a bar either. But like Snowstorm said, you can get some decent stuff for $50ish.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I forget Haggis, where are you? Do you have Total Wine & More? The one near me has Lagavulin 16 for $74.99.

MM

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I forget Haggis, where are you? Do you have Total Wine & More? The one near me has Lagavulin 16 for $74.99.

MM
You.Are.Kidding! I'm in Michigan and it's gone from 70 something to over $120 before sales tax, state controlled minimum liquor pricing. Of course I expect there's a lot of tax tied up in that price. Especially if you can get it for $75.

Must visit my sister in Bullhead soon.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You.Are.Kidding! I'm in Michigan and it's gone from 70 something to over $120 before sales tax, state controlled minimum liquor pricing. Of course I expect there's a lot of tax tied up in that price. Especially if you can get it for $75.

Must visit my sister in Bullhead soon.

You'll have to come down to Phoenix. There are seven stores in Phoenix and two in Tucson. Sales tax adds an additional 8%. Otherwise all the taxes are included.

MM

Wronger

Registered
Reaction score
Increasingly a decision gravity is making for me.

LMAO!

+1 Glen Morangie

I also enjoy Gentleman Jack (as opposed to the original Jack Daniels) for it's smoothness but after reading here really want to try some of the others mentioned in this thread.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
We only have high-end tequila -- my husband is half-Mexican, and after summers spent with cousins in Mexico City, he would never even consider the cheap stuff. I'm a newbie to the whole whiskey thing, but I like it a lot. I drink it neat and am just trying to find out what I like and can afford. I've gravitated to bourbon because it's a bit cheaper. Maker's Mark is good. Recently bought Knob Creek, which I don't like as much.

Haven't tried a lot of single-malt because it's largely out of my price range, though at my local watering hole I often have Auchentoshan. I don't like peaty.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer Irish whiskey, Jamesons or, if I get lucky and find a bottle - Crested Ten, which is distilled by Jamesons, but is even smoother. Clings to the side of the glass. I like my whiskey straight up, no water, no ice. Lovely.

Gin - my favourite is Gordon's. Last autumn I made blackcurrant gin and sloe gin. Both of them turned out beautifully and so easy to make. Alas, the blackcurrant gin is all gone, now I'm trying to make the sloe gin last as long as I can.

Vodka - rarely drink it, but my favourite is Stolichnaya.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
I've been nipping at small batch craft whiskey from a local distillery here in Pittsburgh:

https://www.wiglewhiskey.com/

I'm partial to their aged rye. (Also their Dutch-style gin and their spiced honey not-rum.)

Do they ship? I've been having problems finding rye that wasn't also blended with wheat (celiacs disease and yes even in whiskey it still bothers me)

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Do they ship? I've been having problems finding rye that wasn't also blended with wheat (celiacs disease and yes even in whiskey it still bothers me)

I don't know if they ship. I'll try to remember to ask next time I'm there.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score

A word to the wise: you may want to check with your state's or province's laws if it's legal to ship. In my experience, about half of the states do not allow shipping of spirits into its borders. I know it's not legal to ship into Canada from the US.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Another fan of the island single malts here. I had the last dram of my Bowmore Legend last night, which is the smell I always associate with a good single malt (although it's lighter than some of the higher end scotches, it's one of the best for value for money IMO).

Island malts are usually smokey, heavily peated, and slightly salty with a hint of iodine. Talisker, which is distilled on the shores of a huge seaweed-filled bay has a very strong iodine, almost chemical smell. It takes some getting used to, but is worth the effort.

I have a couple of Arran single malts at home. It's the newest distillery in Scotland, and a very light scotch with a more defined salty finish than most of the malts I've tried.

I can also recommend Penderyn, an award winning Welsh single malt.

For vodka, Titos is my go to, and the only vodka I'll drink straight.