Soup Recipes?

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
My daughter is making my Pumpkin Potato Soup right now. It's an oldy but a goody. This is what you'll need:

• half a butternut pumpkin, cut into chunks
  • 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 cups of chicken stock
  • 4 (or so) cups of water extra
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • salt, pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 cup sour cream (or just cream if you'd prefer)
  • splash of olive oil
  • parsley garnish
In a large pot, cook the onions in the oil on medium heat until almost transparent. Add the pumpkin and potato, stir, then lid the pot. Stir every few minutes until the pumpkin and potato are slightly browned (making sure the onion doesn't burn--add a bit of water if needed).

Stir in the garlic, then add the chicken stock and enough water to easily cover the vegetables. Now sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika and nutmeg.

Simmer with the lid on until the vegetables turn mushy. Whisk, mash or puree the soup with a hand mixer while still on the stove, stir in the sour cream, then reheat without boiling. Garnish with parsley.

Can be frozen with or without the cream. :)

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Another variation on pumpkin soup...

About 2 cups cubed pumpkin
about 4 cups coconut milk
about 1 teaspoon cumin
about 1 teaspoon salt
about 1 teaspoon pepper

I say about because, let's be honest, I don't measure. These are approximations based on the last time I made this, which was far too long ago. I have pumpkin in the fridge, but I've been wanting to make some kind of pumpkin bread. I'm now wondering if I should make soup instead.

Anyway, put everything into a pot and cook until the pumpkin is done, which is when it's all soft. Blend with a stick blender until it's nice and smooth - should be thicker than cream when done, but thin enough to be soupy. Adjust seasoning and liquid as necessary and to taste. Gee, are these lousy directions or what?

Okay, next time I make this, I'll measure, then I'll amend directions here. Maybe I will have to sacrifice that pumpkin to the soup gods.

nicolen

Registered
Reaction score
Second star to the right and straight on till morn
And on the same theme...

Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato soup

4 Tblsp olive or canola oil
2 chopped onions
3 cloves chopped garlic
1 Tblsp curry powder
2 medium butternut squash (approx 1.5 kg/3lb), cubed
1 large sweet potato (approx 500g/1 lb), cubed
1.75L/7 cups chicken stock or water
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 200 deg C/400 deg F
Toss the squash with half the oil and roast for approx 30 - 40 mins, remove from oven.
Heat rest of oil in a pot and soften onion and garlic till translucent. Add curry powder and cook for another minute or so.
Add squash and sweet potato to the pot, pour over stock and water and bring to the boil. Simmer for approx 4 mins till soft.
Puree and season to taste.
This soup is very thick, so can be thinned down with a bit of milk or cream.
Makes 6 - 8 servings.

I live on this soup during winter - lovely colour and really filling.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Dead thread rising... I'm making this for supper tonight, Puppeh. I hope it's as good as it sounds. :)

Maine Lobstah Stew (with apologies to Davids)

Ingredients:

1 one and a quarter to one and a half pound live Maine lobster
1 quart whole milk (no, not 2 percent--not ½ percent--not soy milk--not acidophilus milk...)
1 quart half-and-half
Dry sherry wine
Butter
Salt and white pepper

Preparation:

Drop a live Maine lobster headfirst into a pot of boiling salted water.

Continue cooking until either the lobster stops screaming or his shell just begins to turn red (about 10 minutes--no more). Remove lobster from pot and cool.

Once lobster is cool enough to handle, remove meat and set aside. Yes, there is meat inside those legs. Dig for it. You'll be glad you did.

Break up lobster carcass and put it into a pot. Add the milk and half-and-half. Simmer for at least one hour, adding more milk and half-and-half if necessary.

Strain milk stock through cheesecloth into a clean pot and bring up to temperature.

Stir in ½ to 1 ounce of dry sherry wine to taste (no, not cooking sherry--use the good stuff)

Shred lobster meat by hand and add to pot.

Once lobster is warm, dish up in individual bowls, topping each with a pat of butter and a dash of salt and white pepper.

Ingest.

Note 1: I have no idea how well this soup freezes. I've never had any leftovers.:D

Note 2: If you'd rather have bisque (for whatever reason), simply add one tablespoon of tomato paste to the soup. Dump soup into food processer and pulse 3 or 4 times. Do not over process, people. Leave some character in the soup. Also save some claw meat to sprinkle on top.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
:)

You might want to chop up a bit of green onion top to sprinkle on the finished stew. And if you like paprika, use a dash. It helps the color too.

Lobstah+Stew.JPG

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'll post a review later... the onion tails sound like a capital idea, too. Is this your own recipe?
Yep. Developed after living in Maine for a year and sampling many, many variations. It seemed to me that lobster stew needed 1) to be simple, 2) to feature the lobster, 3) to be rich and disgustingly sinful, and 4) to feature the lobster. I've seen a number of recipes that use reduced lobster stock (from the original boil) and others that fry up the cooked lobster chunks and add the milk/cream to that. There's probably another one that makes stock with the shells but I haven't found it yet. It just seems to me that it gives the stock soup base a little more flavor.

Oh. If you happen to have any frozen shrimp shells saved, you can add that to the simmering milk stock too.

I hope you and Ol' Boy enjoy it. Just make sure you don't overcook the lobster. That's the key.

Last edited:

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Haggis... it was... it was heaven. We had a big loaf of delicious, crusty Italian artisan bread - and butter - and wine... I'm so full I can hardly move. I've been sitting here in the comfy chair for an hour and a half just recovering.

Bravo. If I ever update the family cookbook, I wanna include you and that recipe!

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Outstanding! I'm so glad you brought the crusty bread. It's the perfect accompaniment. :)

Next time we'll try the seafood linguine.

b83aabc2-9a5d-4c41-a3ab-cf001450f69b.jpg

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
Here's a soup I've been eating lately. It's cheap to make.

About 1 quart of chicken stock
1/2 lb of Italian sausage. If the links are cheaper, go with that.
1 can of diced tomatoes. Somebody gave me a few cans that had onion in them. I went with it.
1 bag of chopped greens. I was getting these on a drastically reduced markdown sale for less than half price, so I went with it. Otherwise, you can use a bunch of chopped kale or other various greens.

Fry up the sausage if it's not in link form.
Add chicken stock
Add tomatoes
Cook until it boils.
Add greens.
Cook for a minute or so, then eat.

I recently made 3 dozen of the ugliest ravioli you've ever seen. I throw a handful of them in the pot just to use them up.

Crusty bread is good with this.

roundtable

Registered
Reaction score
Re: the lobster chowder. It should freeze very well.

When I spent a week out on Bailey Island, the homeowner who rented us his house came from a long line of lobstermen. At the time, they were having an amazing lobster season, so lobster was $2.99 off the boats and something we were stocking up on to bring home. He's the one who told me cooked lobster freezes incredibly well as long as you put it in milk, half and half, or cream and then freeze it that way. Comes out tender as butter when you reheat it.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Re: the lobster chowder. It should freeze very well.

When I spent a week out on Bailey Island, the homeowner who rented us his house came from a long line of lobstermen. At the time, they were having an amazing lobster season, so lobster was $2.99 off the boats and something we were stocking up on to bring home. He's the one who told me cooked lobster freezes incredibly well as long as you put it in milk, half and half, or cream and then freeze it that way. Comes out tender as butter when you reheat it.
Thanks, roundtable. Good to know.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I made the previously posted soup again, only this time with a few modifications.

First, celery and onion was chopped and put in with the sausage as I browned it.

Second, I added about 2 tablespoons of italian seasoning.

Third, I added about a 1/2 tablespoon of dried red pepper flakes.

Fourth, I added a small can of tomato paste.

Fifth, no ravioli.

I'm really liking how it turned out.

007a5778-a6d0-4e63-84c6-bbfb63f9e784_zps9f638697.jpg

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
That looks delicious Ted. Sometimes when I cook Italian tomato based soups I'll simmer the rind of some parmesan cheese in with the broth or if I don't have one, I'll sprinkle some parmesan cheese on just before serving, I bet it would be lovely with your soup.

Rebe14

Registered
Reaction score
I love soup. I make it all the time. My favorite is pureed. So a blender and strainer are my best friends.

Baked Potato

5-6 russet potatoes
3 stalks of leeks (white and light green only) medium dice
1 stalk celery (optional) medium dice
2 cloves garlic
2 16 oz chicken stock or broth (you can use water with 2-3 chicken bouillon cubes)
1-2 cups milk

1. Peel and cut the potatoes into medium size pieces. Place potato cubes in chicken broth and turn on high. Boil until soft.
2. Saute leeks, onion, and celery until translucent on medium heat. Do not brown.
3. Add leeks, onion, and celery to boiling potatoes.
4. Puree until smooth, strain if needed.

When I make it, I also have about 3 - 4 little bowls of 'baked potato' toppings. Cheese. Chives. Bacon. Sour Cream. Makes it really yummy.

:) I have a few others and if anyone is curious about the others PM me and I'll type them out for you. :)

The others: Broccoli, Butternut Squash, Chicken Tortilla, and Chicken and Dumpling.

Rebe

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I make a lot of soup as a meal soups, and love a thick puree. The stick blender is my best friend, no need for pouring and straining. :)