DecNoKickButtMo anyone?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! So, with how busy I was, I didn't do NaNo this year, but it's December now and I'm looking to get some things done. So... Is anyone going to join me here in making goals and doing things in December?

At this point, I honestly don't know what my goals will be - writing, editing, reading, not sure - which is why I've called this DecNoKickButtMo. The idea is that whatever your goals are, you'll kick butt! :D

Anyone with me?

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hrm. :)

I generally don't like setting goals anymore because I usually fail to reach them, but...

I really want to finish my book before the year ends.

I figure I have about 85,000 salvageable (editable) words and 15,000 that need to be scrapped and rewritten (because I got frantic and rushed the end and produced a mess of bloody parvo diarrhea instead of a turd to polish).

So I ditched that and wrote 1000 today.

Which is better than I've done in a long while. :)

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Hooray! So that's a 15k goal for Buz. :D (Yes, you've officially signed up now. ;))

Well, I'll *try* to make some goals!

1. I almost-promised a Friend that I'd finish critiquing her novel before Christmas. So I've got about... 30k words to crit left. So do that.

2. Read, hmm, 4 books? I'm not sure about how many to aim for, but I want to get a bunch read.

I may add more goals later... I'm tossing up between the "Query-Go-Round" for TEC, or edits for DOW, or both, or neither.

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
December Goals
- MS1 - waiting on responses from agents, so not much I can do
- MS2 - entering PitchWars (Dec 2) & possibly PitchMAS (Dec 15)
- WIP - initial re-write (filling plot holes, fixing inconsistencies)
- short stories - write and submit at least 5 short stories

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Nice thread title, Cliff. :tongue I debated whether or not to start a December thread yesterday, but 1.) I didn't want to discourage any last-minute NaNoers (the time I would've made the thread was still NaNo time in my timezone), and 2.) I like your thread title better anyways. ;)

November was busy for me and I ended up with three 10k days to finish on time. :tongue And then I found out that I'm going to California over spring break for a service learning trip. :D And then I got six piercings at the same time to help raise money for homeless kitties and puppies (two piercings in each of my ear lobes, one in my cartilage, and one in my eyebrow... I was surprisingly indifferent to getting them all done at the same time for someone who is terrified of needles...). And then I decided randomly at 1am yesterday morning that I want to be a business minor. So I applied at 1am yesterday morning. And then I was accepted six and a half hours later. :tongue So I'm an English major with a business minor now.

Now that I'm (hopefully) done rambling, I should come up with December goals... Hm... I will need time to think about this... I was too busy NaNoing to think about December... >.>

~Amber~

Persei

Let it go
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to print out the draft of my SciFi novel that I wrote for NaNo, revise it and try not to cry!

I'm so excited!

Not.

Mid-November I was already like "It sucks. It sucks so bad". But hey, at least I have something to revise and edit.

Alexandra Little

What a desolation.
Registered
Reaction score
My goal for Monday December 9th - submit novel to agents. (*insert loud, high-pitched scream of excitement and angst here*)

General December goal: revise second WIP

BMajor

Probably judging you.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in! Got a lot of editing to do.. I'd like to have a draft that resembles a nice piece of work by the end of the month. That means revising the 50,000+ I currently have and adding like.. 25k to make it the length I want it.

Baby steps! But I'm in :)

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I reeeally want to finish my WIP. Sadly, it's 25,000 words away. Not likely in the best of times, let alone Christmas and the fact that I'm typing with one hand now.

I'm going to give myself a 15,000 word goal for the month. :e2drown:

Ona Mission

A Bit Squirrelly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
onanewmission.wordpress.com
I have no real idea how much more I have to write of my NaNo novel, but I know I'm nowhere near the end. So, December goal is to finish the story. IF I finish by mid-month, I might begin editing by the end of the month. But if it takes me a bit longer to finish, I'll wait until January to edit. Either way, hoping to have several drafts finished and polishing underway - maybe even queries out - before spring hits.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Hooray for more people joining in! :D

I'm thinking I might make my goal #3 to be: Do 1 thing every day that advances a random goal, and not always the same goal.

That's nice and vague, but allows me to try to do more on a variety of projects. Yay!

ETA: I should clarify that the "random thing" each day can't be either reading or editing Friend's novel, because they're the main goals.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I will join in too, although I'm not sure if I have a specific goal in mind. I'm just trying to finish up my current WIPs. They've all got a good dent in them and really shouldn't be much longer to write, but I don't think I'm going to have the time that is required to finish them this month.

I don't know, maybe my goal could be 500 words a day? Or maybe 1000?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm in. I have two goals:

1) To finish my NaNo 2013 novel by the end of the year. I'm guessing it needs about 25k more before it's done.

2) To get back to writing Book 3 of my series, which has been back-burnered while I NaNo'd. I don't expect to get it anywhere close to finished by the end of th eyear, but I would like to begin writing regularly on it again.

Cliff Face, thanks for suggesting this!

ETA: Three goals: I want to get more reading done, too. I have some books on my Christmas list but I need to make a dent in my To Be Read pile, too.

All this is actually within the realm of possibility. I don't have much to do in my upcoming production (I'm a stage actress) so I will have a lot of downtime backstage and I've gotten very good at writing in my dressing room.

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, more participants! :D

I have... Done nothing so far. Whoops. I'm trying to read a textbook (got 4 chapters left to go!) but haven't felt in the mood for it today. And editing that novel for Friend, well, I've decided that I'll wait till I have my new desktop up and running.

I'd rather not edit it on my laptop, especially as it's summer now, and the desktop should be here in about 9 days (a techy friend is building it for me). So on day 10 I'll spend most of that day setting it up to my liking, which will mean that I can start editing on the 13th. That gives me 12 days till Christmas to edit something like 30k words - which is pretty well doable.

I also haven't really done anything for my "random" goals, except I did just compile a list of some goals I have that could be done for the "random" goal stuff.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I'm really burnt out form November, so I'm going to keep my December goals easy.

1) Re-outline Book #1 and #2

2) Throw away all the crap writing I saved for the sake of word count in book #2 for Nano.

I think I'll save my editing for January.

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
Count me in.

Outline WIP 2 is my main December goal - I want the outline complete and this bad boy started by the end of the month.

Also throw in some short story and flash adventures - not too specific there, I know. :tongue

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
My goals are to finish the first draft of the nanowrimo novel, and two pieces of work that I put on hold for Nanowrimo - a short story and another novel.

All these pieces of work are pretty close to being completed. But, I just need to power through.

I want my deck clear for 2014 because I plan to attempt a milwordy.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
December always seems to be a month of finishing things for me. The NaNoWriMo novel for a start. I haven't touched it since 25th November, the day after I got my 50k, as I had publisher edits to do. And I probably won't touch it again until the coming weekend as now I'm writing the draft of a short. There's a submission deadline on that one and I want it drafted and out of the way, so I can give it a decent rest before I edit in, in January.

So my main goals for the month:
  • Draft the short - I've got over 3k words already and it will be no more than 10k, I think, so won't take too long.
  • Complete the NaNoWriMo novel. I think I have another 20-25k to go. I MIGHT get that before the Christmas holidays start. But maybe not. That's okay, I finished last year's NaNo novel while at my dad's house over Christmas.
  • I will get more edits from my publisher over the month too.
I definitely need to kick butt to get all of this done! :D

Last edited:

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping to finish editing a novella I started last year. I've rewritten the beginning and I'm currently on chapter five. It's sitting at 22K right now. :D

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
I have plenty of December goals, as usual. I'll be glad if I manage half of them!

- Write a 12-15k words chapter book (first draft).
- Edit the chapter book and send to publisher.
- Edit my NaNoWriMo novel chapter by chapter.
- Write first draft of MG novel (40-45k words).

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
Oooh, December goals! Yay! I think I'll participate, because maybe then I'll get stuff done... >.<

1. Ignore the NaNovel. At least until the end of the year. It needs much revision and anyway it's time to focus on other things and let that one sit until I can come back with fresh eyes. (And no, there will be no writing of the sequel anytime soon. You hear me, brain?? Other projects! They exist! Focus on them!) Ugh.

2. Major worldbuilding and outlining of the tentative current project.

3. Work on the pre-November project because I still love love love the characters and don't want it to fall away. Besides, I still have like three scenes outlined that need writing.

4. Survive finals... :cry:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I got steamrolled by that unpleasant little vixen named life in November. (-: I already started DeNoWriMo. I can get laid out by life, but fuck the little vixen...I can also get back up. So, December is the new Nanowrimo for this guy. (-:

The dude abides.