A hard liquor thread?

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Currently enjoying/nursing a bottle of Tanqueray Malacca Gin right now.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Lot of people like Maker's Mark. :)

I'm partial to Woodford Reserve and Elijah Craig, myself.

But it's not like I'm an expert, or anything. I just know what I like.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Lot of people like Maker's Mark. :)

I'm partial to Woodford Reserve and Elijah Craig, myself.

But it's not like I'm an expert, or anything. I just know what I like.

I'll give 'em a shot, so to speak. Thanks!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Oh, I see. I really had no idea. So would you say that Makers Mark is a pretty good one, or should I keep looking? Tough work, you know.

You know, I like Maker's Mark, but, for me, it's a bit over-rated. If you see the Four Roses Small Batch (not the Single Barell) try that. I also prefer Woodford Reserve, Eagle Rare, and Buffalo Trace over Maker's Mark.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
You know, I like Maker's Mark, but, for me, it's a bit over-rated. If you see the Four Roses Small Batch (not the Single Barell) try that. I also prefer Woodford Reserve, Eagle Rare, and Buffalo Trace over Maker's Mark.

It's gonna be one hell of a month. Thanks!

I so want to get drunk with you guys now.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
That's the great thing about drinking whiskey, particularly good whiskey, straight and neat - you're likely only to sip it and therefore less inclined to get bombed and hungover.

I think there's a special circle of hell for people who toss fine whiskey down their throats without tasting it.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
You got me checkin' myself now. No, I don't chug. A little water's ok, right, on the rocks?

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
That's the great thing about drinking whiskey, particularly good whiskey, straight and neat - you're likely only to sip it and therefore less inclined to get bombed and hungover.

I think there's a special circle of hell for people who toss fine whiskey down their throats without tasting it.

EXACTLY right. During tastings, I always tell people this is "thinkin' drinkin' and for solving the world's problems." Sip slowly and ferret out the flavors and aromas.

bookmaker: So would you say that Makers Mark is a pretty good one, or should I keep looking?
Actually, I've never tried Makers Mark. The only bourbon I recall trying was Wyoming Whiskey. But, I've heard MM is excellent.

clenick

Registered
Reaction score
I've been a tequila drinker for about a decade now. I do shots and drink water in between; I find I don't get a hangover that way. Tequila is trendy now, of course, but I don't mind that. It just means there are more tequilas on the market for me to try. I'm partial to Don Julio, but Milagro, El Mayor, and Cazadores are nice too.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score

You got me checkin' myself now. No, I don't chug. A little water's ok, right, on the rocks?

just realized you said, neat. sorry

Clifforis

Clifforis
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eoinclifford.blogspot.ie
Just going to perform my patriotic duty and big up a couple of Irish whiskies.

Red Breast is excellent, very smooth and a great introduction to whiskey.
Midleton Very Rare is spectacular, as the price would suggest. Good one to treat yourself with - any big birthday's coming up?

I've heard Green Spot is good also but haven't tried it yet.

I can also give Woodford's bourbon a supporting vote, very tasty. Have tried most of the scotch's mentioned above and thoroughly enjoyed them. Just a tip on Laphroaig's, it has a very distinctive flavour and can be an acquired taste for some.

Finally, Bombay Sapphire makes a great G&T, but use cucumber instead of lime for that extra refreshment :D

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a neat freak myself, but how one drinks their spirit is up to them. I only recommend folks try whisk(e)y neat first, then later add a couple drops of water (and perhaps a few more after that) just to try it. I've never tried whisky with ice, but it is a personal choice.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Jack Daniel's girl myself, don't care for Maker's Mark, or (shudder) Jim Beam, or any of those 'flavored' whiskeys they are promoting now. JD Tennessee Honey is one of the nastiest things I've ever tasted. IMHO

One suggestion that will be cheaper in the long run. Once in a while take yourself to the local nice watering hole and order one kind of whiskey. I'm with Snowstorm that you should try it neat, at least the first time. Better to pay for one drink of something and find out that you don't like it than buy a whole bottle and find out you don't like it.

For scotch I like Talisker, as mentioned from Skye. I loved it the first time I had it, but it can be an acquired taste like Laphroig. I save that for special occasions/people. Jack is a lot cheaper for the every day drinking.

MM

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I like gin - generally Tanqueray if I'm buying, but I'm not so fussy if someone else is.

I've been eyeing the flavoured vodkas in the liquor store, and thought they looked insipid so I decided that I'd make my own, following a recipe by Nigella, for Blackberry vodka. I did swap out the blackberries for raspberries though. It took 64 oz of Absolut Vodka, three bags of frozen berries and six weeks. I decanted it into 10 small bottles and handed them out at Christmas to friends. I'm now very sorry that I have so many friends, I kept one bottle for myself and it was a truly delicious tipple - intensely red with an incredible berry flavour. Although I've got it in the fridge I think I like it best just room temperature - that way the fragrance and taste of the raspberries doesn't compete with the cold.

I'm going to make it again - and this time I won't be sharing.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
For vodka, if you can get it, I'd recommend Boyd and Blair potato vodka. I'm not the biggest fan of vodka, but *this* I'll drink.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Since I haven't seen it mentioned, I'm going to recommend Blue Coat Gin to everyone. Nice and dry while managing to be very floral and the right amount of spicy. Best gin I've ever had. Well worth tracking down.

And on the bourbon front, if I'm paying Maker's prices, I'm paying extra for Maker's 46. Otherwise, I'll agree that Four Roses small batch is the way to go for an all purpose bourbon. Mmm, now I wish it were summer so I could justify making juleps.

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
Just going to perform my patriotic duty and big up a couple of Irish whiskies.

Red Breast is excellent, very smooth and a great introduction to whiskey.
Midleton Very Rare is spectacular, as the price would suggest. Good one to treat yourself with - any big birthday's coming up?

I've heard Green Spot is good also but haven't tried it yet.

I can also give Woodford's bourbon a supporting vote, very tasty. Have tried most of the scotch's mentioned above and thoroughly enjoyed them. Just a tip on Laphroaig's, it has a very distinctive flavour and can be an acquired taste for some.

Finally, Bombay Sapphire makes a great G&T, but use cucumber instead of lime for that extra refreshment :D

Midleton is the best whiskey I've ever had. And that's saying something. :)

eta -- If you think about it, as expensive as it is, it's still not much more than the equivalent amount of middle-shelf stuff if you order it at a bar. Stay at home with a Ferrari or rent a Yugo? :D

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a very big drinker of hard liquor . . . well, I'm bigger than I'd like to be, but that is unconnected to the issue of hard liquor . . . and that's just a clarification. I can't abide vodka, tequila, gin, mixed drinks of any kind.

EXCEPT: I am a bit of a connoisseur of single-malt scotch whiskeys, consumed in small quantities neat, or with a wee bit of ice. This, from having lived in the U.K. and done extensive travel with friends in Scotland. Of those, I espouse the use of Laphroaig or Talisker at the top of the list, but there are some other fine ones, notably Oban, Cragganmore, Highland Park, Lagavulin.

caw

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm a bourbon man by choice. My fave used to be Wild Turkey, but I started to tire of having the same thing so started branching out. Master Of Malt is a great website for getting hold of unusual or slightly rarer drinks, with good descriptions of what you're going to taste. Current I'm on Elijah Craig 12yr old. Maker's Mark isn't bad. I found Old Grandad (great name for a proper sipping whiskey) quite pleasant.

I do also drink scotch, and much prefer single malt over blended. I prefer the softer styles,such as Glenkinchie, Dalwhinnie, and Glenmorangie, over the peaty mouthfuls.

I prefer my bourbon on the rocks, which most connoisseurs would sniff at, but I like the different flavours it brings out. Scotch should be with either water or a very small amount of ice.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a single malt Scotch man - and a Scotsman, ( entering my 40th year as a drinker having started at 16.)

I mostly favor island malts over the more traditional Speyside ones.

Long time favorites are Talisker from Skye, Highland Park from Orkney and Isle of Jura from Jura.

I'm also a big real ale fan... but that's a topic for another thread :)
I had my first Highland Park a couple of weeks ago. It's quite nice. I prefer the Islays but I love the variety of the single malts.

Amen. The good stuff is to be savored, not slammed.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
My husband's the whisky drinker. He usually prefers Glenlivet or Glenfiddich. He's not a fan of overly smokey/peaty Scotches.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My husband's the whisky drinker. He usually prefers Glenlivet or Glenfiddich. He's not a fan of overly smokey/peaty Scotches.
That's what I was about to say.
I went to bartending school 11 years ago. I more remember drink recipes but we did talk about good quality liquor. WHat I remember about whiskey was Glenlivet.
Vodka- KetleOne
Gin - I liked Bombay Saphire

Bourbon is generally a whiskey made from corn. :)

I believe all spirits made from grain are considered whiskey.

Vodka is whiskey that has had all the flavor distilled out of it. ;) (and in this case, potato counts as a grain, if you go by the US Gov definition)
I don't think that's the case. Though I suppose if the US Govt considers potato a grain....
but whiskey is :
Whisky or whiskey[1] is a type of distilled alcoholic beverage made from fermented grain mash. Different grains are used for different varieties, including barley, malted barley, rye, malted rye, wheat, buckwheat and corn. Whisky is typically aged in wooden casks, made generally of charred white oak.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky

Vodka is from potatoes or rice and is clear
Vodka (Polish: wódka, Russian: водка) is a distilled beverage composed primarily of water and ethanol, sometimes with traces of impurities and flavorings. Vodka is made by the distillation of fermented substances such as grains, potatoes, or sometimes fruits or sugar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vodka

I mean yeah, they are both grain alcohol, or can be, but vodka isn't just clear whiskey. They are two distinct things.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've always liked high end, damnably expensive single malt scotch for sipping, but something like Jameson for pouring in my coffee.

But I discovered high end tequila a few tears ago, and I'm hooked. It's comparable in price to top shelf single malt scotch, but I like it even more. I can't afford the really expensive stuff, but for regular drinking, Patron Silver is only around sixty dollars per bottle, and for special occasions, Patron "Gran Platinum" comes in at two hundred or so per bottle.

I had no idea tequila could be this good. It makes me wish I could afford the really expensive stuff, or at least find a place where I could buy a shot of it.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I had no idea tequila could be this good. It makes me wish I could afford the really expensive stuff, or at least find a place where I could buy a shot of it.

This is the danger of nice drinks. The actually good stuff is always expensive.