Bread should be broken

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else think that bread tastes a lot better when it's broken? That is, ripped apart with your bare hands, rather than cut by a knife?

Sliced bread is nice for sandwiches and all... But if you want to experience the bread itself... it must be broken. What do you think?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dunno. If you like fluffy bread, sometimes it gets crushed in the act of rending. Then there's all the crumbs to deal with.

Best to leave bread-piecing to the experts. They have degrees and stuff.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Dunno. If you like fluffy bread, sometimes it gets crushed in the act of rending.

I find the fluffiness is usually preserved better with breaking than cutting. Even if you end up pressing the fluff down, the texture seems to more satisfying that way, than if you cut it.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I think it depends on the bread, of which there is a huge variety. But, in general, I like coarse-textured seedy bread rather than smooth soft bread, and unless I was making a sandwich or toast, I'd just break it in my fingers and eat bites that way.

Then there's Navajo fry-bread, which is the kind of bread the angels make in heaven . . .

caw

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The bread I bake best does okay on slicing, but breaking is also nice. Since it's a rich enough bread not to demand butter or sweetening, broken is great. Well, except for portion control. But for other breads which need something spread on them for maximum enjoyment, breaking doesn't work so well.

Maryn, baking very little these days

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
Depends on the type of bread. At least for me. Dense sandwich-style breads can be better sliced, baguettes or most rolls best broken. My standard, four-loaves-a-week sandwich bread is way to dense to really eat in chunks (but slices beautifully thin for homemade bread).

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Agree with Mooky, it depends on the bread.

At the moment, though, I'm smelling fresh cinnamon rolls baked by my Man Child. I may not even bother with my hands, face first. :D

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it depends on the bread too...

Crusty breads like Boule and baguette I prefer to break because the crunch of the crust underneath my fingers adds to the experience.

With something like focaccia, I prefer it cut, and then straight into the maw.

With modern Asian breads (like Tous les Jours or Bread Talk), I find that in general they're so soft I can't really slice or break them. I either pick tufts of bread off gently (if I'm sharing with someone else) or stuff the whole bread in mah mouf. They're so soft it's like biting into a cloud of bready deliciousness. Mmm.

...I'm so hungry now. Stupid thread.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'm basing most of my thoughts on Zuni bread, which we bake in an outdoor adobe oven. It's similar to sourdough bread, but not sour, and more fluffy.

But for other breads which need something spread on them for maximum enjoyment, breaking doesn't work so well.

That's not true, IMO. I love spreading butter on Zuni bread, and I found I much prefer it when broken, even if it's a bit more awkward to spread the butter.

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I spent three months making biscuits a couple of times a week to get them just they way I wanted them. A lot can go wrong. Over-kneading is a likely culprit if they're hockey pucks. Using baking soda in addition to powder to offset the acid from buttermilk is important.

Relative to pulling apart, though, I don't use a rolling pin. Just flatten out on the counter, fold over 4 times and flatten out again and cut. That's how you get those defined layers that let you pull them perfectly in half after they've baked up. The strata's already there.

Man I love biscuits.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
There's a Paula Deen recipe for biscuits that uses butter and it's quite simple. So it's from a few years ago. Delicious!

As for pulling bread apart, I have to agree. When it's pulled it seems fluffier somehow. BUT one time a relative made monkey bread that is made to be pulled apart. Someone at the table sneezed and reached for the bread. No one said anything. And then the thought of all those unwashed hands all over the bread, pulling it apart....

Best bet for fluffy bread: biscuits made right.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I spent three months making biscuits a couple of times a week to get them just they way I wanted them. A lot can go wrong. Over-kneading is a likely culprit if they're hockey pucks. Using baking soda in addition to powder to offset the acid from buttermilk is important.

Will pass this info along. Thnx for the tip :)
(hockey pucks = perfect description)

bookworm92

Registered
Reaction score
Most breads from India (eg. chapathis and paratas) have to be broken (more like torn) for eating. Maybe it's cause they are flat breads.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I guess I'm just too genteel. Tearing apart bread seems so Neanderthal. Might as well just get rid of all the silverware and tear at everything with our hands and teeth.

Sorry. Count me among the knife wielding set -- with pinky extended.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I guess I'm just too genteel. Tearing apart bread seems so Neanderthal. Might as well just get rid of all the silverware and tear at everything with our hands and teeth.

:ROFL:

For me it's more my slight bit of being germophobic. In fact, when we have company over,
I make dinner rolls or slice the bread before time.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Depends on the bread. Also depends on what, if anything, is being spread on it. If you want an even coating of butter or jam, sliced breads are better. If you're eating it plain or dipping in olive oil, nooks and crannies are better.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com

Count me as a Neanderthal then. :) I tend to find most foods more enjoyable eaten with the hands. Ribs, bread, burgers.... The list is endless.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
What about hashi? (Chopsticks?)

Cool. "Chopsticks." Only civilized way to eat, IMO.
A bit at a time. Unlike other in other parts of the world where forks and spoons are used.
Why not used a blasted bulldozer to shovel it in while you're at it !

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Cool. "Chopsticks." Only civilized way to eat, IMO.
A bit at a time. Unlike other in other parts of the world where forks and spoons are used.
Why not used a blasted bulldozer to shovel it in while you're at it !

...how often have you seen people who regularly use chopsticks actually eat?

The bulldozer approach is quite common with chopsticks, actually.

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website

The foodie/hipster dainty chopstick thing makes me laugh like hell. Rice was not meant to be picked up with two sticks. It can be shoveled pretty well, though.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score

My best friends were Japanese. Ex-girlfriend too. But three isn't exactly enough to base a sweeping generalization upon. Mostly I was just having fun and declaring my love for eastern culture. Probably a more mature way of doing that ;-) (Apologies for any offense.)

...meant to be eaten one grain at a time, with 10 second intervals between. Invite me over some day and I will demonstrate the technique. The meal will take several hours to consume so be sure to set aside a good portion of time.