Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2014, 05:21 AM   #1276
Introversion
Pie aren't squared, pie are round!

Introversion is a glorious beacon of lightIntroversion is a glorious beacon of lightIntroversion is a glorious beacon of light
Way to go, Beverly! (That's a really nice review!)

Last edited by Introversion; 03-28-2014 at 05:24 AM.
Introversion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:22 AM   #1277
lizmonster
possibly lost; not sure yet

lizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for President
Bravo, BfloGal!

In revisions: Made of Stars (until I come up with a new title) - military SF, 145,090
WIP: Blinding Faith (tentative) - SF/space opera, 4,085/120,000
lizmonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #1278
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm behind, but huge congratulations to everyone with good news. It's so wonderful to see so many doing so well!
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #1279
BfloGal
Lost in a plot hole

BfloGal is a splendid one to beholdBfloGal is a splendid one to beholdBfloGal is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Alice, Introversion, Liz, and HJ. The book comes out on Tuesday, and I'm having some anxiety moments. Mostly excited, though.

I was just thinking it was not quite six years ago that wandered over to AW for the first time, just beginning to write. What a journey!
For Whom the Bluebell Tolls (coming 1/15)

Gold, Frankincense and Murder(novella)
BfloGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:42 AM   #1280
wonderactivist
move along, nothing to see here

wonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputation
Congratulations BFlo!
Old 03-30-2014, 04:05 PM   #1281
GailD
Plotting the breakthrough...

GailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
+1 Bflo!

New blog - Write, Right and Research. Part 3 (Final) UPDATED DEC 1st. With pictures!!

GailD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #1282
BfloGal
Lost in a plot hole

BfloGal is a splendid one to beholdBfloGal is a splendid one to beholdBfloGal is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Lucie, Gail--

And another quick brag, since this is the braggatorium: I had my first signing last night, since yesterday was my book's official birthday. And despite my paranoia that nobody would come, there were actually people there. Sales went well enough that the BN person said I'd be welcomed back any time.

Pictures if anyone cares to see them: https://www.facebook.com/BarbEarly/m...0831449&type=3

Old 04-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #1283
lizmonster

lizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by BfloGal View Post
And another quick brag, since this is the braggatorium: I had my first signing last night, since yesterday was my book's official birthday. And despite my paranoia that nobody would come, there were actually people there. Sales went well enough that the BN person said I'd be welcomed back any time.
A well-earned crowd, BfloGal! Congratulations on Publication Day!

In revisions: Made of Stars (until I come up with a new title) - military SF, 145,090
Old 04-03-2014, 12:35 AM   #1284
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wow, Bflo! Fantastic! Congratulations.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:39 AM   #1285
BfloGal
Lost in a plot hole

Thanks, Liz,HJ!

Old 04-06-2014, 04:46 AM   #1286
wonderactivist

wonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputation
Congrats on the signing, BFlo! Since y'all have helped me so much through all this brain surgery stuff, I wanted to share my good news too:

1) Outside In Literary and Travel Magazine published my short memoir, "In the Company of Forever." It's huge to me because I seem to have no problem publishing mysteries or freelance articles, but the literary scene has mostly turned their noses up at my work. Now I have a literary credit besides Smith Magazine's Six-Word Memoirs.

2) My first book review for iON Oklahoma Magazine appears in the April/May issue. It's on newsstands but I'm not sure when it goes online. I've been asked to write the next one and think I'm about to be their book columnist.

3) My Six-Word Memoirs have been kickin' this week. "My Netflix is stuck in 1989," made Best of the Week and Editor's Picks plus my rather controversial six on the Supreme Court ruling made Most Commented. Still there, was number 2 now number 4.

I highly recommend Sixing as a way to tighten your prose.

4) And finally, I got a note from an international art magazine. One of their staffers saw my latest article for Art Focus Oklahoma (pp. 12-13) and wanted me to send samples to their senior editor.

Crossing my fingers!

Lucie
still shooting for 100 pub. credits by the end of the year—if the brain cooperates.

Last edited by wonderactivist; 04-06-2014 at 04:54 AM.
wonderactivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #1287
GailD

GailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Lucie!!! That's awesome!

My short story, 'The Branch of Thorns' will finally be in the African American Review (Johns Hopkins University press) towards the end of this month. It's my US debut.

I say 'finally' because it was accepted in August 2011. AAR is a quarterly publication and I had to wait my turn. Sheesh. It's been a loooong wait.

New blog - Write, Right and Research. Part 3 (Final) UPDATED DEC 1st. With pictures!!

Old 04-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #1288
pdichellis
Murder! You want fries with that?

pdichellis is on a distinguished road
Congratulations all around! Outstanding!

Best wishes,
Peter DiChellis

Storyline: A botched robbery leads to murder. A bag full of money is left behind. What could possibly go wrong after that?

For links to more of my published stories, visit my Wordpress site Murder and Fries.
pdichellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #1289
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
Fantastic news everyone! So good to see positive stuff coming our way
Old 04-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #1290
wonderactivist

Hooray Gail! You are truly patient. I woukd have been tearing my hair out.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:04 AM   #1291
lizmonster

Excellent news! Wonder, that's fabulous - that's an amazing list of accomplishments. And muse, wow! Congratulations on the (delayed) publication. I'm with wonder. You have the patience of a saint.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:36 AM   #1292
tarak
for certain qualities of "sane"

tarak is a splendid one to beholdtarak is a splendid one to beholdtarak is a splendid one to behold
Lucie - that's wonderful! Congrats on your success!

GailD - wow - that's some wait. Congratulations!
Old 04-07-2014, 03:50 AM   #1293
sheadakota
part of the human equation

sheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You Guys all rock!!

Fallen
Through the Glass - June 7th -
The Coyote's Song- September 2010
Socrate's Child- January 2011
Keeper of the Dream- June 6 2011
Center of the Storm-
Broken - summer 2015

My Website

Fallen is a taut, hard driving, edge of your seat thiller.
Michael Wiley, author of The Last Striptease
sheadakota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #1294
GailD

Thanks, kind peeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderactivist View Post
Hooray Gail! You are truly patient. I woukd have been tearing my hair out.
It's amazing what you can do with a comb-over.

No. I do not look like Donald Trump now.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #1295
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Lucie, that's fantastic!

Gail, wonderful. AAR wins some kind of award for slow.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #1296
Calla Lily
Formerly known as callalily61
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Congrats, Lucie and Gail!
Old 04-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #1297
jeseymour
practical experience, FTW

jeseymour is a shiny, shiny jeweljeseymour is a shiny, shiny jewel
Congrats to everyone.
Stress Fractures - Kevin Markinson, injured escaping from prison, taken hostage with a teenage boy and surrounded by law enforcement, discovers that everybody has a breaking point.
jeseymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #1298
Introversion
Pie aren't squared, pie are round!

Introversion is a glorious beacon of lightIntroversion is a glorious beacon of lightIntroversion is a glorious beacon of light
Congrats, Lucie & BfloGal! Well-earned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailD View Post
I say 'finally' because it was accepted in August 2011. AAR is a quarterly publication and I had to wait my turn. Sheesh. It's been a loooong wait.
Eeep! I'll say! Wow, you are indeed the Queen of Patience! Congrats, and here's to quicker turnarounds in the future!
Introversion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #1299
Maxx B
practical experience, FTW

Maxx B has a spectacular auraMaxx B has a spectacular aura
Congrats folks, I should read this thread more often, it makes me want to get off my butt and crack on with my WIP.

Again well done.
WIP - My novel NINE, just passed the first milestone 10,000 words. . . .
Maxx B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:55 AM   #1300
wonderactivist

My first-ever book column is up in iON Oklahoma Magazine, an OKC-area publication. While it's mainly mainstream books, I'm proud to have established that I will always include at least one book with an Okie connection. Feel free to send recommendations for my "Summer Reads" column—from the Big 6, Small Presses or Indies. They have to be new books, 2014, and on the shelves in OKC, even if just in one indie shop.

(pages 43-45)
http://issuu.com/donswift/docs/apr-may_ionokmag_web

Hooray!