Pants (Trousers), For Ladies

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I got to thinking last night, about how rarely historical fiction mentions women wearing pants or trousers in the 19th century. And yet, if you know your fashion history, it's clear women did wear pants--indeed, quite often.

On an everyday basis, they wore drawers, which were open or split-crotch, to make using the bathroom easier. Drawers have been around since the late Renaissance, but weren't very popular until the flimsy dresses of the Regency appeared (1890s-1820s) and women needed an additional layer for warmth and modesty. They soon became a popular necessity. Sometimes drawers were combined with a chemise, becoming a one-piece garment known as "combinations" (aka a Union suit).

Less commonly known, ladies wore trousers beneath their riding habits. These weren't meant to show, but provided protection, comfort, and modesty while riding. This was especially important because you weren't supposed to wear petticoats with a riding habit. Too much fabric flapping around the horse could be dangerous, so riding skirts did not include hoops or bustles or very full skirts. Just enough fullness to preserve the lady's modesty while riding sidesaddle.

Women also wore trousers while ice skating. Skirts could be shortened to mid-calf length or just below the knee, and worn with matching loose trousers. Nothing snug or formfitting, kind of like modern straight-leg jeans, or even harem pants. They were optional, of course. You could go skating in an ankle-length dress, instead. But if I were a lady of the times, I would much prefer the freedom of movement afforded by a shorter skirt and pants while ice skating. Not to mention the additional warmth--and lack of drafts!

In the mid-century, "Bloomers" became well-known as a revolutionary ladies' costume, worn by radicals and dress reformists. It was comprised of either long, straight trousers worn under a "short" skirt, or full trousers that could be tucked into boots, also worn with a knee-length skirt. A lady's modesty and elegance was completely maintained, yet she had more freedom to move. (Note that bloomers are not a lady's undergarment!)

For this reason, bloomers were adopted for sportswear several decades later. In the 1880s and 1890s, bloomers appeared as part of bicycling costumes, gymnastic costumes, and so forth.

Lest we forget swimwear, ladies always wore trousers while publicly swimming or bathing. Pants could be ankle-length, or below the knee with dark stockings to hide her calves. The fullness of the skirt varied according to the fashion of the day, but hoops and bustles were left off, so they wouldn't weigh the lady down, or be ruined by water (i.e.: rust).

So, the next time you write about a Victorian lady, don't forget that she's no stranger to trousers!

Are there any other commonly-held historical misconceptions that you would like brought to justice?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Actually, the reason to leave hoops and bustles out of swimsuits seems to have had little to do with fear of weighing women down.

Women's swimsuits routinely had lead weights sewn into the hems of the skirts so that there was no chance they would raise up immodestly in the water.

The problem was clearly not weight; perhaps it was because hoops in water could actually be less modest than no hoops.

Also, although women wore trousers under riding habits, they were not trousers you could actually walk in for any length of time. They were simply leg coverings curved to fit the shape of women's legs as they curled over the side-saddle. The left leg and the right were not even shaped the same. Think of them as more of a fabric sculpture the shape of women's bent legs curled under them than a working garment that moved with the body.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I forgot about the weights in the bathing suit hems--and I'd just read about that the other day, too. Still, a hoop skirt is rather unwieldy, I can't imagine trying to swim in one! And the water would undoubtedly cause the hoops to rust.

Huh, I've never seen riding trousers like you describe. The ones I saw looked just like normal trousers, fitted to the waist and hips, with tapered legs. Normal, almost modern-looking. After all, a woman had to walk from the house to the stables, and she had to be able to mount easily, without frightening the horse. Is it possible the ones you saw were made by someone with an extreme sense of modesty? I'd love to see a picture, if you remember where you saw them!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The first time I saw the notions list on a sewing pattern included dress weights, I was agog. An older woman at the cutting counter told me they hadn't sold them for years, but you could use a nickel instead.

Maryn, whose dress was worth at least five cents, no matter what

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
I forgot about the weights in the bathing suit hems--and I'd just read about that the other day, too. Still, a hoop skirt is rather unwieldy, I can't imagine trying to swim in one! And the water would undoubtedly cause the hoops to rust.

Bear in mind that few sunbathers ventured too far into the sea back then. Maybe up to their waists. And even this was done while holding onto safety ropes tethered to the shore. It took a while for people to trust the ocean. The main draw of beaches back then was the cool ocean air, which was considered a health tonic (despite the horrendous pollution).

But yeah, modesty was strictly enforced. In some places, like Coney Island, the police would fine or arrest women whose hem-lines were a little too high.

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

A side note about bloomers: Apparently, most of the women crossing the plains in covered wagons did not like to wear them. Why? Because when the women had to "do their business" on the plains with no other privacy, another woman could spread her skirts to shield her from view.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Bear in mind that few sunbathers ventured too far into the sea back then. Maybe up to their waists. And even this was done while holding onto safety ropes tethered to the shore. It took a while for people to trust the ocean. The main draw of beaches back then was the cool ocean air, which was considered a health tonic (despite the horrendous pollution).
True. A visit to the shore required a whole new wardrobe for ladies. Women had special dresses for walking along the beach: "sea-side costumes" or "watering place" dresses, along with yachting outfits. Sea-side dresses were of lighter fabrics, with shorter hems and simpler embellishments. And ladies were not supposed to wear straw hats, which would soon be ruined by the damp salt air.

A couple years ago, I wrote an article for a historical costuming trade journal, detailing all the different occasions that a woman dressed for, and what she could and couldn't wear. Required a great deal of research into Victorian etiquette books and fashion manuals. (They didn't leave a lot of information behind on how to dress for each occasion--presumably it was passed by word of mouth, to try and prevent social wannabes from learning the rules and dressing properly.) Among other things, I learned the true difference between an evening gown and a dinner dress, and between an opera gown and a theater dress. And what fabrics ought not to be worn to church. Really fascinating stuff!

A side note about bloomers: Apparently, most of the women crossing the plains in covered wagons did not like to wear them. Why? Because when the women had to "do their business" on the plains with no other privacy, another woman could spread her skirts to shield her from view.

You mean bloomers in the "dress reform" sense, and not as underwear? Yes, I could definitely see that. While it would be more comfortable to travel wearing bloomers instead of a skirt, you would have to pull everything down to use the bathroom, which would take time and be inconvenient. And like you mentioned, no privacy. If you wore a skirt, you could dig a hole and squat, with your skirts and petticoats covering everything. Or other ladies could gather round to conceal you while you did what was necessary.

I really admire (and feel bad for) those pioneer women. They had to leave everything behind, including friends and family, suffer unimaginable hardships on the trail, with the promise of a grueling life once they arrived in the west. Must have taken a great deal of courage.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Huh, I've never seen riding trousers like you describe. The ones I saw looked just like normal trousers, fitted to the waist and hips, with tapered legs. Normal, almost modern-looking. After all, a woman had to walk from the house to the stables, and she had to be able to mount easily, without frightening the horse. Is it possible the ones you saw were made by someone with an extreme sense of modesty? I'd love to see a picture, if you remember where you saw them!

It was in a reprinted tailors' manual from the mid-late nineteenth century, I think. Lots of patterns (but you need to understand tailoring to make them work), and, if I'm remembering the right book, a certain amount of gossip and weak snide humor at the expense of women (along the line of "One can never cut a woman's bust too large, or make her waist small enough to please her" sort of thing).

The pattern for ladies' riding trousers as I recall it had asymmetric legs cut bent, rather the way dress sleeves were cut at the time.

You probably could walk in them for a little bit, but not comfortably for very long.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
It was in a reprinted tailors' manual from the mid-late nineteenth century, I think.

Those old books can be treasures! I have an original dressmaker's manual from 1911, which is my favorite go-to book for sewing. It has techniques and sewing methods that later books simply don't mention. Learned a few things from it that I've never seen taught anywhere else.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And what fabrics ought not to be worn to church. Really fascinating stuff!

You mean bloomers in the "dress reform" sense, and not as underwear? Yes, I could definitely see that. While it would be more comfortable to travel wearing bloomers instead of a skirt, you would have to pull everything down to use the bathroom, which would take time and be inconvenient. And like you mentioned, no privacy. If you wore a skirt, you could dig a hole and squat, with your skirts and petticoats covering everything. Or other ladies could gather round to conceal you while you did what was necessary.

I really admire (and feel bad for) those pioneer women. They had to leave everything behind, including friends and family, suffer unimaginable hardships on the trail, with the promise of a grueling life once they arrived in the west. Must have taken a great deal of courage.

I'd dearly love to know which fabrics weren't suitable for church. I've got several scenes set there in my current wip.

Yes, I did mean in the dress reform sense. And yeah, it makes a lot of sense.

About those pioneers: My husband has forebears who made the trip. In one case, they shipped a document box around the horn, but went by wagon themselves. In another case, his great-great-great-grandmother was making bread when some Native Americans road into camp. She traded them some bread for two beaded items. (We've still got them.)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'd dearly love to know which fabrics weren't suitable for church. I've got several scenes set there in my current wip.

Basically, anything that rustled or made noise, such as silk taffeta or crepe de chine. The concern is that if a lady shifts, the noise her dress makes might render the speaker's voice inaudible to those sitting nearby. And I admit, I have encountered this problem myself a time or two, when I wore the wrong dress to church. I kept frozen the whole time, hoping I wouldn't disturb anyone sitting next to me, and wincing every time I needed to reach for something.

If you'd like to read my article, PM me and I'll send you a copy. You might find my source materials of interest, too.

My favorite source, though not relevant to this discussion, is a book on pregnancy and childbirth from the 1870s. It was utterly fascinating! Especially the measures doctors took to preserve the lady's dignity and modesty during childbirth. You don't see those kinds of considerations today, that's for sure.

TallyHo

Registered
Reaction score
Your post is a bit misleading. Most of what you describe would be called undergarments. And yes, it's no secret women did wear layers of various undergarments underneath their exterior skirts.

If you're trying to suggest women did regularly wear trousers/pants (as we think of them these days) while walking down a public street, just remember in many places they would have been arrested!

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Your post is a bit misleading. Most of what you describe would be called undergarments. And yes, it's no secret women did wear layers of various undergarments underneath their exterior skirts.

If you're trying to suggest women did regularly wear trousers/pants (as we think of them these days) while walking down a public street, just remember in many places they would have been arrested!

How is my post misleading? Except for drawers and riding trousers, the garments I described are most assuredly outerwear.

Yes, Victorian women did wear trousers in public. Not every day, except for those who subscribed to the dress reform movement, but certainly for ice skating, swimming, and so forth. However, unlike modern women, Victorian ladies usually wore their trousers with skirts over them. These skirts were often knee-length or shorter, so their trousers definitely showed, but the skirts allowed them to still appear modest and feminine.

If you want proof, I'll link to some fashion plates and photographs that depict the kind of clothing I'm talking about. Most of these illustrations were published in newspapers and ladies' magazines, so they would not be garments likely to get you arrested. (Bloomers were controversial, probably because they were meant to replace dresses altogether. But trousers worn for practical purposes, such as riding, swimming, cycling, gymnastics, and so forth, were socially acceptable and I have found evidence of them from the 1830s onward.)

Take a look:

* Cycling Costume (1897)
* Cycling Costume (probably 1890s)
* Cycling Costume (1895)
* Bathing Costumes (1860s)
* Bathing Dresses (1864)
* Ice Skating Costume (probably early 1870s)
* Hunting/Riding Outfit and Gymnastics Costume (1835 & 1858)

Some women even had positions in the military and were given special uniforms consisting of long trousers and a short skirt, as illustrated by this fashion plate:

* Female Uniforms (1850s)

Fascinating, isn't it? :)

Sticks

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for this- it is indeed fascinating.

Regarding the last picture- I remember I first heard of vivandieres or cantinieres a few years ago when I saw the opera La fille du regiment. I always meant to read more about these women. They must have had very challenging, interesting lives.

Here's a couple of more pictures of vivandieres in trousers:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/52/Fenton_-_vivandiere.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivandière#mediaviewer/File:French_cantiniere,_1853.JPG

TallyHo

Registered
Reaction score
None of your illustrations are what we normally call "pants," at least as defined by Americans. They're certainly not the same as the pants/trousers worn by men of the same time period. Some of the pictures look more like tights with a half skirt above them.

Anyway, I've known about these undergarments and bathing outfits for, I suppose, my whole life as my mother had stacks of books on Victorian clothing. These were certainly not normal clothes worn in regular circumstances, and if anything, the sporting and bathing clothes would have been worn (if at all) by the small minority that constitutes the rich and more affluent middle class people, on special holiday trips.

In many places both in the US and the UK, any woman who'd attempted to wear something akin to a man's trousers and walked down the public street would have been arrested! The US Senate, for example, banned women from wearing pants on the senate floor until 1993!

Cathryn

Registered
Reaction score
My mother was not allowed to wear slacks in 1950 because my father said so and the church approved. I'm sure social, civil, religious restrictions applied everywhere then too.
Ladies did have at one time aprons and bustles to cover the parting of the legs if the lower leg was to be exposed.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
My mother was not allowed to wear slacks in 1950 because my father said so and the church approved. I'm sure social, civil, religious restrictions applied everywhere then too.
Ladies did have at one time aprons and bustles to cover the parting of the legs if the lower leg was to be exposed.

I remember my mom telling me that she wasn't allowed to wear pants to school in the 1950s. And dresses had to be at least knee length, or you were sent home. They had to stand on their knees, and if their skirt didn't touch the ground, it was too short! But at the same time, pants were allowed at home, for recreational use, and for sportswear.

I'm not sure what you mean about "aprons and bustles" covering the legs. In the late Victorian era, women often wore overskirts that had a draped apron front and bustled back poofs, but they weren't intended to hide the legs. Interestingly, though, during the so-called "Natural Form" era (1878-1881) skirts got very slender, to the point where seeing the outline of a woman's legs was a risk, even if she wore a petticoat underneath her skirt. During this time, women adopted extremely narrow hoop skirts, barely big enough to take a full step in. Their only purpose was to keep fabric from clinging to their legs.

TellMeAStory

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between earnest application and gleeful
Old crone here: I too remember the 1950s no pants at school rule and kneeling to prove hemlines conformed to regulations. Also, socks had to be anklets, not knee socks. This was San Francisco, and I lived in a generally windy foggy miserable area without bus service and with a long walk to school. Little legs got COLD. [and yes, pedal pushers, jeans, etc. OK at home.]

Later, I was describing this to a contemporary who'd grown up in Montana, and she told me they'd had the same rules, except if the temperature was officially below freezing, as pr a radio announcement. Then and only then could they wear pants. One degree warmer, and it had to be skirts or dresses no matter how hard the wind was blowing.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
When I was in grade school & middle school (NY City, late 60s-early 70s) skirts were also required. They didn't have to be knee-ength then, but there was definitely a not-too-short rule (I think 6 inches above the knee was the max). By middle school the rule had relaxed slightly, to the point that on very cold & snowy days you were allowed to wear pants or leggings while in transit -- but while at school it was still all-skirts-all-the-time.

By the time I got to high school, no one cared what you wore as long as it was clothes.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Some ladies of my acquaintance who attended women's colleges in the 1950s or so said they spent most of their time in dungarees and sweatshirts. This came up as a subject of much amusement when recent films about the period showed college girls in fancy dresses and high heels.

However, an all-female academic environment was hardly typical.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I remember that era myself. What college students wore was generally their business. I didn't have to kneel in school, but I'd heard rumors that others did. By the time I reached high school, the dress code was relaxing some. Fortunately, this was San Diego, so below freezing was rare.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I grew up in the 70s and 80s, and dress codes were very relaxed in California schools at that time. Basically, we had to wear shirts and shoes and we couldn't wear bathing suits (except at the school pool, or unless it was beach day). There were some court cases at the time regarding students with punk hairdos, and they settled in favor of the students initially.

I remember when they ruled that we could wear shorts to school at my elementary school (I think I was in fifth grade at the time). They had no issue with either sex wearing shorts in Junior high or high school either.

There was a thing about "halter tops," in my junior high, as I recall. It was decided that girls couldn't wear them because boys liked to untie them in the halls. That was typical reasoning at that time. Of course, boys weren't allowed to wear halter tops either.

All that got reversed later, and strict dress codes, even uniforms, came back in the public schools. I wandered by my old junior high when I was visiting my mom a while back, and they actually have a sign up by the front gates with the dress code clearly stated (they didn't back in my day, just told us via an announcement when there was a rule about something). They even regulate the body piercings students can have (boys aren't allowed any earrings at all, and girls are only allowed single piercings). And they have all kinds of rules about skirt lengths and hairdos, how much makeup (and none at all for boys), hair colors, sports logos, and gang colors and what not (Newport Beach is not known for its gang activity, but okay).

The sexist rules surprise me in this day and age. Seems like telling one gender they can have piercings or makeup and not the other is potential lawsuit fodder.

Last edited:

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
The sexist dress code does surprise me! In this day and age, I didn't think any public institution could get away with discriminating between men and women. I remember my dad telling me about Disneyland's dress code, back when I was a kid. No beards were allowed! Not just on employees, but guests, too!

I always wanted to attend a school with uniforms. I even offered to design the uniforms for a private school I was thinking about attending, but my parents were against uniforms. I don't recall their reasoning, but they told me if the private school switched to uniforms, I wouldn't be allowed to go. No idea why! My baby sister had to attend a public school (20 years later) that had a uniform dress code, and my parents didn't make a fuss then. So I really don't know why they were so against it when I was a kid.

With the halter tops, were sewn versions allowed? I don't think I would wear one that tied, personally, because I'd be too afraid it would come undone in public. In fact, I had a halter top that hooked, and the hook kept coming undone when I was out with a friend. She had to knot the ties for me, so it wouldn't come loose again. But I've seen halters where the straps are sewn.