Query Letter Help - Interested In A Magic Suitcase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyfelix2

Need an editor? Contact me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennakinzlerwriting.wordpress.com
Hi, everyone :)

So, for some reason, I could not get into the "Query Letter Hell" forum. It said that I do not have privileges to be able to post a new thread? So not sure about that.

But anyway, I would love, love, love to have some help on my query letter :) I would love to get any kind of critique possible for this query letter. Would YOU read this book? Does it sound interesting? Would it be something any agent would pick up right away and say "I NEED to get this book published!".....or not?

Thanks so much for the future advice, everyone! I enjoy being here :)
Here's my query letter:

Dear Mr. (Last Name):

The intricate powers of a simple traveling bag must remain secret, although not for long. In the wake of Reefton, New Zealand's violent desolation, eleven-year old Martha Jackson's
mother makes a choice of a lifetime in saving her children from a terrible fate. Abruptly, their destiny is sealed by a mysterious enchantment that will send them through another realm to a different age and a secure style of living. Four generations have expanded on its logic and are unable to understand its driven desire to both save and create better lives for people.

As Martha struggles to understand the true meaning of her father's legacy through this captivating entity, she learns the truth about her past, her future, and much more than she has ever dreamed of. In daring to trust her mother with the profound works of this magic suitcase, she will come to discover a place where peace finally exists for her family.

My historic fantasy novel THE MAGIC SUITCASE, complete at 81, 000 words, will appeal to adult readers who enjoy unique story tones of mystery and romance that are both surprising and heartwarming. May I send you an excerpt or the full manuscript?

I have written fiction stories for fourteen years and hold a Bachelor of Arts degree in English. My poem The End has appeared in literary magazine New Branch of the Journey. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Jenna Kinzler
My Address
My Phone Number
My Email
http://www.booksjmg06.webs.com

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya!

A mod will happily move your query for you. In the meantime, I'm just chiming in to say why you couldn't post in QLH -- when you tried, you had 49 posts, or you'd just reached 50 (which is the minimum needed to post in QLH), and it takes an hour or two for the website to realize you've hit the minimum and let you create threads inside of Share Your Work. :)

So not to worry, you didn't do anything wrong. You were just a bit more on the ball than the automatic site-bots.

In regards to your query, I'm not going to chomp down with my full razor teeth just yet, but I will say that it's too generic right now. I don't know anything that actually happens, other than something magical changes a woman's life and her family's.

You need to be way more specific. Use nouns; give me settings; give me stakes; give me emotion.

Have you read the stickies inside of Query Letter Hell? Check out some of the finalized queries, and see how darn specific they are. No generic language like "learned the truth" or "more than she ever dreamed of" -- that could apply to a thousand other stories. What applies to yours?

For example, my forthcoming query uses words like concrete cell, iron shackle and calloused fingers. I don't even have to tell you more at this point for you to have a mental picture starting in your head, do I? That's what's missing from yours -- enough concrete terms (ha, a pun!) for the reader to build a mental picture of your MC's world, her personality or what's at stake for her throughout the novel.

Good luck, and see you in the other thread. :)

~ Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.