My vote for Best TV Shows of all time

ladyillana

Registered
Reaction score
Doctor Who is the best one
Absolutely!
Dr. Who is my top choice for best TV show ever, even back to the classic series. It is so story and character driven it made up for the hokey special effects during the classic era!
I also consider Twilight Zone and Sherlock (Moffat/Gattis) to be some of the best TV I've ever watched.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
There were so many.

Growing up, I guess I was spoiled. There were a lot to choose from and all were good at particular points in my life. As a kid, The Flintstones and the original Jonny Quest. That, and the original Superman series.

As I got older, Barney Miller, MASH, and The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Tops on the list was the original Star Trek. Watching The Doomsday Machine as I type this. It had everything, mainly good writing and acting although they could never make planets. But they were trailblazers in their own way and set the tone for other shows to piggyback off of.

Those are my top picks.

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The OP's list was way too recent for my liking, though some great shows on there. I've been a TV junkie since the 70s, yet I would still place Sopranos as the top drama on my list and Modern Family the top sitcom.

Other "recent" shows that would be in the conversation for me include Lost, Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, 24, Justified, CSI (the Gil seasons), and Mad Men (still have yet to watch Shield and the Wire). But the 90s have so many I would also want to include starting with X-Files, West Wing, NYPD Blue in drama along with at least one of the Star Trek spin-offs, as well as Seinfeld and Fresh Prince in sitcoms.

Crap, I could do this all day with my favorites from the 80s, 70s, and re-runs from the 60s. Everything from Cheers to Miami Vice, Dark Shadows to Star Trek, Lost in Space to I love Lucy. I don't think I could ever whittle it to just a top-ten. Just the Top 2 are solid for me.

I'd try to sneak Survivor in there somehow as the only reality show I really enjoy.