Once Upon a Time

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I caught it last night (ABC) at 7pm (Sundays).

I was pleasantly surprised. Loved seeing Cameron from House and Margene from Big Love. I know the first show was "set up" but I was pretty captured through the whole pilot.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
It wasn't as bad as I feared it would be. Like you, I try not to judge too much based on a pilot, but I'll definitely tune in again. Not sure how this can go much past a season or two. It would be comforting to know it is only planned for one or two seasons and that they have a resolution in mind.

It made me smile that Snow White and Prince Charming were both pretty average-looking.

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was very taken with this show. I hope those in charge can keep it up.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I was very taken with this show. I hope those in charge can keep it up.

I agree. And I hope it doesn't suffer a creative "revolving door" like Heroes did.

Will see how next week looks!

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm intrigued enough to keep watching.

We'll see what happens. It brought in a 12.5 rating (huge!) But, next week will be the big test. How much will that number drop?

Atarrin

Registered
Reaction score
My wife enjoyed it more than I did, but it still exceeded my expectations. The premise sounds an awful lot like Fables, but who am I to judge...

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
I'd heard a while back that FABLES was being developed for TV, so when I heard about OUAT I checked with an expert (the guy at my local comic shop). Yes, they were in talks with ABC, but things didn't pan out. Though clearly ABC liked the general concept ...

Something else occurred to me as well. FABLES is published by DC Comics/Vertigo. ABC is owned by Disney, which also owns Marvel Comics. Maybe they considered adapting FABLES as a conflict of interest.

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
Seeing it's on Sunday at 8 on ABC I don't think they can do something that interesting. Fables is messed up in an awesome way that network tv isn't made for. Grimm might fit the bill but what were they thinking putting it on at the same time as Fringe? My DVR will assplode!

I liked OUAT enough to give it a couple of episodes.

Steve Coate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coaterack.blogspot.com
Just watched the pilot last night. Thank you DVR. Didn't recognize any of the actors/actresses, but liked the show enough to keep watching. Especially enjoyed how they ended the episode with the clock and the kid's expression. It made me smile.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I liked the little kid. Most kids are so annoying these days (in film and television).

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
I agree about the boy. Watched and potential enjoyment was ruined by my usual complaint about most actors currently performing on TV -- they do not speak clearly, run words together, swallow words, or whisper. And I know I have no hearing problems because I can understand British actors and those in old films on Turner Classics, even a rapid fire conversation between Cagney and O'Brien. Does no one teach speaking through the diaphragm in the USA instead of throat and nose?

Last edited:

Diane Amy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Just finished watching. Also, thank you DVR. Loved it and have it set to record all new episodes. Hopefully, I won't have to cancel that.

Have not heard of Fables and thought the premise of this show was unique... especially considering that it is not reality TV!

I found it fun to see the concepts of various fairy tale characters as portrayed in their frozen real life.

Loved seeing Cameron from House...

Thank you so much for helping me identify the actress. She looked so familiar but I couldn't place her.

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, donroc. It's good to know it's not just me. I thought my hearing was going. I missed several things the boy said.

Enunciate, people. Enunciate.

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I liked the boy, but I also liked his mother (which I guess I'm supposed to since she's the main character). She seems like the first character that reminded myself of myself in a while (as in, I could relate to her. There seems to have been a fascination with really out there brilliant characters nowadays and that's all good but not like me). I'm probably going to even watch the next episode (gasp).

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
And I know I have no hearing problems because I can understand British actors and those in old films on Turner Classics, even a rapid fire conversation between Cagney and O'Brien. Does no one teach speaking through the diaphragm in the USA instead of throat and nose?
Right you are. I love the rapid patter in old movies. If I were casting One, Two, Three now, I don't know who could do Cagney's part.

(Yes I do; Steve Buscemi.)

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Okay, can someone please explain to me how time has supposedly frozen in Storybrooke -- and yet there are days and nights, clearly showing a passage of time -- and Henry grew from a three-week old baby to a ten-year-old boy? What am I missing? Even if it was 28 years of the same day, that wouldn't work with Henry growing from a newborn to a tween boy.

Or am I supposed to say, "It's a fairy tale, just roll with it," and leave it at that? ;)

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I guess for me I'm not sure why people are so obsessed with verisimilitude in their fantasies these days. If you work hard enough, you can pretty much poke holes in most fantastical setups (why didn't they just fly the eagles to Mordor???).

All the creators of this show are trying to do is create the setup that you have fairytale characters in a small town. They need to find a reason why they can't leave, so that they are all in one place because it's fun to guess who is which character, and they need to find a reason that the characters aren't much older because who wants to watch a TV show about old people (thinks Hollywood) - and also because they are doing parallel stories with the characters in the fantastical land, you want to be able to compare the characters then and now.

It's just all an excuse to have a small town with fairytale characters is all. And that's good enough for me. Right now, the show is far more entertaining than I expected it would be, and I'll be turning in next week :) .

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I guess for me I'm not sure why people are so obsessed with verisimilitude in their fantasies these days. If you work hard enough, you can pretty much poke holes in most fantastical setups (why didn't they just fly the eagles to Mordor???).

I'm not obsessed. It did, however, pull me out of the story numerous times when I watched the premiere.

**shrug**

That being said, I'm going to roll with it and sit back and watch the second episode. And, hopefully, enjoy it. :)

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong--I actually love this show. But I agree with dragonjax that the time thing is rather a large plothole. Maybe somehow they'll explain it.