X-Men: Days of Future Past

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
But it was 2-issues of awesome! Rachel Summers / Phoenix is SO much better a catalyst than Kitty Pryde (and the psi-powers actually fit her character TYVM ... stupid movie, mix-n-matching powers at random)

With the addition of Apocalypse, and the push for female-centric storylines, I have a dim hope that Cable will be added to the next film, opening the way for Rachel to appear at some point. The franchise has already butchered The Dark Phoenix Saga; I'd love to see them redeem themselves with the Summers' family history/future.

Kidlet from an alternate timeline goes back in time, takes possession of infant half-brother by Mama's clone, then goes forward in time, starts a cult and raises him alongside body-swapped mom and dad to go back in time and off the baddest villains in the universe. There's enough for a whole other trilogy right there.

(And so help me, if they screw up Mr. Sinister...)

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Never liked Apocalypse. He always seemed like a lame-ass version of Thanos and Darkseid while being considerably more boring than both.

But that's in the future. Maybe it'll be good.

I got a comment on my blog about X-Men: Days of Future Past that pointed out a movie full of award-winning actresses (Lawrence, Berry, Page and Paquin) should have been given more to do.

Though I found the movie to be rather entertaining, myself, I couldn’t get over how strange it was to cast 4 award winning actresses if only one of them was going to be a character.

I responded:

I couldn’t agree with you more, Alex. The fact that the movie swapped out Ellen Page’s Kitty Pryde (and gave her a power she never had before) for Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine was an insult to anyone who enjoys strong female characters who aren’t just eye candy or plot devices to be rescued by the male hero. Giving Halle Berry, Jennifer Lawrence and Anna Paquin virtually nothing of interest to say or do, is a cinematic crime.

Ever hear of The Bechdel Test created by cartoonist Alison Bechdel and how it applies to movies? The test has three rules:

1. It has to have at least two women in it,
2. who talk to each other
3. about something besides a man

X:Men: Days of Future Past completely fails The Bechdel Test. Too bad. :(

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Take away the Time travel from Days of Future Past...and once again Magneto is right...Charles' way leads to the extermination of all mutants.
No; that was caused by Mystique assassinating Bolivar Trask. Charles was apparently busy being useless at the time, but obviously assassination was never his way. (Though he's a real dick in a lot of the comics.)

Note: They couldn't've had it be Kitty Pryde who goes back in time, because (in the continuity of these movies) she wasn't born until about 1993. Changing her power set didn't bother me, because the comics have never exactly been consistent about that stuff.

Oddly enough, the one thing I found irritating was that "magic bullet" stuff (in regard to President Kennedy's assassination). Obviously it's just an element within the crazy fictional world of the X-Men, and maybe it's done with a wink, but it bugs me whenever I hear that bit of real-life bullshit reinforced in a fictional work.

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
Note: They couldn't've had it be Kitty Pryde who goes back in time, because (in the continuity of these movies) she wasn't born until about 1993. Changing her power set didn't bother me, because the comics have never exactly been consistent about that stuff.

Except it still could have easily been Kitty. They changed her power set to make her able to send Logan's mind back. They could have just as easily come up with a new or used an existing mutant to physically send her back in time. They introduced so many mutants in this they could have used one who can time travel. Or change her powers so that she can phase herself through time. They changed so much from the comic storyline that there was no reason to stick to only sending the mind back. Send Kitty physically back and then, if you really want to use Wolverine, have her search him out and convince him to help.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Manuel Royal said:

Except it still could have easily been Kitty. They changed her power set to make her able to send Logan's mind back. They could have just as easily come up with a new or used an existing mutant to physically send her back in time. They introduced so many mutants in this they could have used one who can time travel. Or change her powers so that she can phase herself through time. They changed so much from the comic storyline that there was no reason to stick to only sending the mind back. Send Kitty physically back and then, if you really want to use Wolverine, have her search him out and convince him to help.

*cough, cough*

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8887271&postcount=10

SampleGuy

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I think it is better than X-Men The Last Stand. But it made me wonder where the Sentients were through the first trilogy.

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I liked the reintroduction of all of the dead characters, but really there was no alluding to how Charles maintained his body, Magneto getting his full powers back, or why Kitty Pryde, who can run through walls, can do some mind meld thing to send people back in time.

Too many holes and not enough thought into character development. I enjoyed the entertainment, but it gave me too many questions on why things happened the way they did.