Best Movie You Never Want to See Again?

The Scip

...walks this way.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescip.blogspot.com
12 Years A Slave - for the same reasons a lot of people are saying Schindler's List. Powerful, great movie, but not something I would wan to see again. I use Schilders List in a course I teach on popular culture and how to view a film critically because there are so many elements and layers to that particular movie. I have seen it many times if any of you do go back an watch it it is worth a second viewing. Spielberg did an incredible job. Every shot brings more meaning.

Pikko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pikkoshouse.com
Blindness with Julianne Moore. Not the "best," but I thought it was well done. Still, the rape in the film was not something I ever need to see again.

And I'll second whoever said American History X. I still grab my mouth and whimper just thinking about it.

J.Emerson

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I agree with American History X as well. That movie was compelling but very uncomfortable.

T J Deen

A Necessary Evil
Registered
Reaction score
Grave of the Fireflies.

I agree with you on Grave of the Fireflies. A lot of people will never know just how moving and overwhelmingly upsetting this movie is to watch.

I also recommend Requiem for a Dream and the American version of Oldboy.

I watched Requiem while visiting a friend's house for the holidays and after the movie ended and the credits rolled and I was left there thinking 'what the hell did I just see?', my friend's mother came down stairs to let us know her grandmother had just passed away in her sleep upstairs which added to impact.

And Oldboy was the first movie (ever) to make me stand up and yell "Nooo!" at the TV. I actually feel bad for young couples that might have been on their first date together and chose that movie not fully knowing what it was about.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Pan's Labyrinth. It was an excellent movie. I never, never, never want to see it again.

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Downfall. The story of Hitler's downfall near the end of the war and his subsequent suicide.

bmacenlightened

Registered
Reaction score
District 9 for both the movie itself and also how related it was to a time in South Africa's history. I have never left a theater that angry about a movie I liked.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Million Dollar Baby becomes very rough at a certain point.

12 Years a Slave, I've managed to avoid so far.

21 Grams, the Sean Penn, Benicio Del Toro, Naomi Watts thing is one I'd probably never watch again. It's a great movie, great cast, very interesting subject matter, but just so dark. There is no one happy in this movie, and all with good reason.

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Another vote for Grave of the Fireflies, which is haunting and truly depressing.

I'll also add The Missing Picture, which my wife and I just watched. It was made by a Cambodian man who lived through the Khmer Rouge era, using exquisitely made clay figures and scenes (along with some amazing footage from the era). Profoundly depressing, but really excellent.

BookmarkUnicorn

does believe in fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Schindler's List. And I've seen it three times. Once in middle school and twice in high school. Never ever again.

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
This is a television movie, but the sentiment applies. HBO's The Normal Heart was brilliant, and utterly heartbreaking. I cried so much I ended up with a headache.

I also have to give another vote to Requiem for a Dream. That movie was good, but all kinds of messed up.

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
Ech, Requiem is another one I don't want to see again ever. I had the same initial reaction as you T J. lol
Imagine how much more disturbing Requiem would have been had it been played straight a la Kids -- no silly camera effects or DA's trademark "hip-hop montages" (as DA calls them). That stuff deflated the impact the movie could have otherwise had on me: it was disturbing, but not as disturbing as it should have been in my opinion.

Last edited:

SinisterCola

The Caffeine Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Requiem For A Dream is up there in a movie that I think is great, but it's so emotionally draining I have to build up the strength to watch it. The one time I did watch it, I practically didn't speak for a few days.

This really applies to both the book and the movie, but 1984 is up there too.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Requiem For A Dream: the most harrowing depiction of drug addiction ever seen on screen. Visually sumptuous and depressing as hell.

United 93: True stories don't always have happy endings.

Irreversible: Dizzying, disorienting, a man's head is crushed with a fire extinguisher and a nearly 10 minute rape scene in an unbroken shot makes this unpleasant viewing.

Audition: from IMDB: A widower takes an offer to screen girls at a special audition, arranged for him by a friend to find him a new wife. The one he fancies is not who she appears to be after all.

(that ain't the half of it...)

12 Years A Slave: Upon viewing it, I could not breathe and did not speak for a half-hour after it was over. Grim, unrelenting, merciless and great. And it might be 12 years before I see it again.

Man Bites Dog: A cheerful and philosophical hitman and a film crew that records his murders of men, old women and whomever else is annoying him. Ugly, mean, bitterly funny and a discomforting experience.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It's a fantastic movie which I will never, ever, ever be able to watch again.

Of course, what movies are upsetting has a lot to do with your real life experiences and fears. I can turn off my emotions and watch Schindler's List as a piece of art because I've never seen or experienced anything like it in real life and don't expect I ever will. I can't say the same for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Dead Poet's Society

Castaway

Forrest Gump

Sorry. I don't want to see movies like that. I was tricked into watching them. I'd rather see action or comedy. Sci fi and scary movies are okay too, but I have reservations about paying to cry.

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
Cannibal Holocaust: Brilliant yet gross

Salo: 120 days of Sodom: Enough said!

Graveyard of the Fireflies: Too sad :(

Goodbye Uncle Tom: A great documentation about slavery in the Americas. I could not watch the rape scenes of the various black men and women. Also a little white girl pulls a black boy with a leash. Black actors and actresses made to do unspeakable acts on film. One black actress looks into the camera during the rape scene. It was like watching her soul die on camera :(

Begotten: Just gross :(

Titticut Follies: Extreme cruelty towards the mental ill. There was an young Russian man who had to bang his head against the wall in order to get respect :(

Aftermath: Dead woman's body gets defiled by perverted mortuary worker.

In a glass cage: Pedo Nazi+ teenage killer+ Spain's Franco era= Beautiful yet sad and disturbing film.

Kissed: Female mortuary worker makes love to dead bodies :(

Trampa Mortal: Mexican playboy+ severe BDSM scenes+ tons of blood= Beautiful film but it was just too sexually disturbing. Scene where Asian woman and black woman are being walked around on leashes are just disturbing. It is WTF type of a film. Too sexual for its on good.

All of these films are beautifully shot and deserve respect but they are just to heavy for me.

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Saving Private Ryan. A masterpiece. It should have won the Oscar. (But lost to Shakespeare in Love.) And I've only seen it once. I just can't bring myself to see it again. Too difficult emotionally.

I feel the same way about the series finale for Babylon 5. I just ... can't. Sometimes a thing is so beautiful that you might ruin its perfection by watching again.

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I second Threads. Whenever anyone asks what the scariest movie I've ever seen is, it's Threads. That last 5 seconds, man.