Not open for further replies.

Routhwick

Registered
Reaction score
Website
constantnoble.miraheze.org
Cross-posted from KBoards.
-----
I've recently received my KDP cheque, and I already have big plans for spending what I have. As I mentioned earlier, two of them will involve the help of Fiverr clients.

1) A NEW LOGO for the Dixwell Dossier: As I stated earlier on G+, this "Raccoon Balloon" (a merchandise opportunity) will consist of a raccoon's tail on the cloth (i.e. envelope) of a white balloon. Available under CC0/Kopimi (as is most of my site)—no trademarking or DRM, but usage rules shall apply. I'd prefer if they produced an SVG version for Inkscape's sake.

2) A NEW COVER for my Gadsby re-issue: And you should know I'm not that good with mine. By far, the boards have pointed me towards a promising designer by the handle of "vikncharlie"; care for her gig? I'll be fine as long as I don't go above CC-BY-SA.

As with 99designs, I'm insisting that all rights are passed over to me upon completion.

Recommendations and/or experience, anyone? And thoughts—yay or nay?

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Well, you're on the art and design board. There's a lot of people here who make a living from their design work. You won't find many of them suggesting that $5 is a reasonable fee for a logo or a book cover. Nor is 99designs a great idea - asking people to work on spec, without any guarantee of payment. Not cool.

If you look at the top of this board, you'll find a recommendations thread. Why not find a proper book cover designer and pay the going rate for quality work?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I am not sure I understand. You wish someone to draw a logo for you to be released into Creative Commons for a $5 payment?

And you wish a new cover for your novel for $5?

You seem to wish to get unique professional quality artwork which is not pirated and own all copyrights in perpetuity for less than the cost of a cup of coffee and a pastry.

This board encourages professionalism and respect for creative work. Please rethink your plans.

Alice Xavier

some goon from the internet
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alicexavier.com
The fewer people that support awful, exploitative sites like Fiverr and 99Designs, the better.

Think about it. If you need to get a leaky pipe fixed, do you post a contest for plumbers in which you make them all do work on your pipes, and then only pay the plumber whose work you like the best? Of course not. You research plumbers and hire one whose previous work you like and comes with good recommendations, and then you pay that one plumber for his work. Why should designers be treated any differently?

Find a designer whose work you like and then pay that designer real money, like you would for any other service.

CetiAlphaVI

Registered
Reaction score
I think some of the fiverr stuff is legit. I mean if someone wants to hold up a sign advertising your website and take a crappy picture of it, surely that's not worth more than 5 dollars :)

Last edited:

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
The people who are really making money on Fiverr aren't doing it $5 at a time, they're doing multiple orders or extra add-ons that make the total come out higher (still nearer $25-$50 than the several hundred you can expect to pay for high-quality cover art).

I use the site myself; it's nowhere near as exploitative as 99Designs competitive interface or Elance's obscenely low rates (ghostwriting for $100? Get real).

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Ugh, Fiverr. Urgghhh.

"Exploitive" covers it in a nutshell. While I'll agree with MumblingSage that the tier system evens it out a bit, it's a nightmare to promote on (this knowledge comes from my other half, who tried to offer small photo editing services) and it's still nowhere near as useful as art networks like Deviantart (which also has an underselling problem, but not to the same extreme).

Last edited:

SapphireGuardian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
igg.me
I'm working via Fiverr with about 15 services and I can tell you, with the exception of a few, there is no true $5 services there. The basics are $5. But for example if you want me to format a 100k ebook, that one usually ends around $50+. Fiverr is not a bad thing at all. It's a good secondary source of income, plus it's good for networking, to know new people. There are plenty professionals there. But as the others told, don't expect miracles for $5 as those are the very basics. And in the 21st century, unfortunately everything is exploitive. The question is can you turn it to your own favor or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.