Silly question when using titles for teachers in books.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
So in novels, when saying something like "The main character's English teacher...." do you capitalize English/Math/Science/History, etc. since you are technically using it as a title or do you just do "math teacher"?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
If it's a language, it will be capitalized, if not it's lowercase.

Even in "the main character's math teacher" you're using it like "the main character's dad," which is not capitalized.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Okay cool, so I have it right. For some reason I started second guessing the correct usage of it. Thanks!

EngageReaders

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, if it's proper, it's always capitalized.

An exception to writing a class name lowercase would be if the course has an unusual name. I teach a middle school class called Language & Literacies in my school which is an integration of language arts and technology. My students would refer to me as their Language & Literacies teacher. There are a lot more classes like that these days. Another example I can think of at my school is MathTech.

I think it basically boils down to whether you are referring to a particular class or a subject. If referring to a particular class, you would use uppercase (7th Grade Geography) but lowercase if referring to the subject (geography) if the word isn't always a proper noun (French class).

Love the confusing nuances of language!