Running out of ideas in a series.

Fairies wear bOOts:)

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I know when you go to publish the first book in a series, you get put on a contract for how many books you are going to write, say a three book contract if it is a trilogy.

I was just wondering, is it possible to get out of this contract if you hit a wall and run out of ideas in a series? I know sometimes they give you more time, but is it possible to actually get out of it?

I say this because I am worried about my own series. I'm an outliner, and have the first two books pretty well figured out. I know how the story ends, I know I need four books to get there, but I don't have a vast amount of 'filler' for the last two books. I'm worried I'm going to run out of ideas.

If it's not possible to get out of the contact, is it possible to only make it a two book contract when you know there is going to be four books? How would that work?

Thanks. (Worried writer).

JAYDA STONE A Split-Souls Legend

Last edited:

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
No, I'm just finished my first novel and haven't even submitted it yet. I know, it's a little early to worry about this, but I don't want to run out of ideas and be I'm stuck in a four book contract, so I'm looking into things beforehand.

Last edited:

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
So why would you sign a four book contract when you only have content for two?

That's only one of the problems I see. The others are:

- You have a conflict of interests between you and your work. You want four books, but what is sounds and reads like the story had only enough content for two. IMHO, "filler" should never be in a book; everything serves a direct purpose to the story without being used to fill pages. I suggest, you pack in all your ideas into two books, or perhaps three.

- I would never approach a publisher who are interested in my series without the utmost confidence I can pull of the other books. A contained series would have to have at least a detailed outline--that I have confidence I can pull off--or rough drafts, and a continuous series would have to have a structure, evolving themes, and the ability to branch--also with several books drafted so I have quite a lot of time to work on the rest.

- Publishers are getting weary. They might ask about a series, might take in a book or two to test the waters, but there's no guarantee that they will take in the entire series--especially without the author's highest confidence in completing it (this is when you're truthful with your agent/editor. No use in lying). Unless your writing and story is great, it's a good chance they won't offer a contract for the entire series off the bat.

You just finished the first book of the series, right? I suggest you write the second and see what takes off from it. I never truly know the next book in the series well enough to judge until I complete the one before it. Continue with the third to see the forth--if you make it that far, or don't heed my earlier suggestion.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You shouldn't need "filler" for any of your books.

It sounds to me as though you have written a book which has the potential for a sequel, not the first book out of a four-part series.

Until your book is signed up you don't know if you'll get any more than a one-book contract.

I wouldn't start writing the sequel just yet. Once this first one is polished and ready to go submit it as a standalone with series potential, and set to work writing a new book in a new world so that if this first one doesn't sell you're not stuck with a sequel you have no hope of selling.

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, so the problem is that the way I have it outlined, I KNOW I need four books to get to the ending.

But your telling me sometimes, if they know it's a series, they won't give you a four (or how many there are) book contract? That would be the kind of deal I am looking for. I just want to take it one book at a time.

Last edited:

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
But you're telling me sometimes, if they know it's a series, they won't give you a four (or how many there are) book contract?
Yes. They won't just buy up the series because you said, "Pretty please" and fluttered your eyes. The publisher would have to buy all those books if they would sign for a four book deal at the same time. Otherwise they can do a single book at a time, but they'd like the next one as fast as possible if the first or previous book sells well.

That would be the kind of deal I am looking for. I just want to take it one book at a time.
You can deal with each book on a book-to-book basis. Fine. A new contract would have to be put up with each and every book (or more at a time). And then they'll give you a deadline to meet.

So the problem is that the way I have it outlined, I KNOW I need four books to get to the ending.

But does the story NEED four books? Reading the OP of this thread, doesn't sound like it, but you just WANT it to have four books.

To what Old Hack said, she's going for more a the business route--which I've always been on the fence about. Writing a couple "first" books of a series (as stand-alones mind you) can help you debut and snag an agent/editor. If the agent/editor doesn't like the first pitched book, you can toss them another, and another, and another until your resources have run out. It's a very smart idea if you're determined to debut and have a lot of series ideas.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
the way I have it outlined, I KNOW I need four books to get to the ending.

I know how the story ends, I know I need four books to get there, but I don't have a vast amount of 'filler' for the last two books. I'm worried I'm going to run out of ideas.

I'm deeply confused how you can know your series needs four books but you don't have much material for books three and four.

How large/how detailed are your outlines just now? Have you tried writing more detailed outlines
e.g. a line describing each chapter or a few pages describing each step of the story in line with a seven-point three act structure/the Monomyth structure/[insert your structure here]?

Last edited:

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't see why you're worrying here--you haven't been offered a contract, and until you are, write!

I have to agree with EMaree, some of your posts contradict themselves. You need four books but only have material for two--sounds to me that you only need two books.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, so the problem is that the way I have it outlined, I KNOW I need four books to get to the ending.

If you have your outline structured for four books, but only have enough material for two, then you need to rethink your outline. Just because you want certain points in your outline to be the ending of a book two, three and four does not mean your story needs four books. You may have to turn some of those outline points into mini-resolutions within one or two books.

Bookkus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bookkus.com
We state in our contract that we have the first rights to the next book in a series instead of dedicating ourselves to unwritten books.

I think I get your point about needing 4 books. One of our authors is in the same boat having two books written one in the works and a fourth for resolution. Just write is probably the best idea or start thinking of what happens. You probably have time to publish the first and then work with the next ones to gain a following while you are selling.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking about this thread and realised we've not answered your original question, Fairies, so I'm going to start again.

Hi. I know when you go to publish the first book in a series, you get put on a contract for how many books you are going to write, say a three book contract if it is a trilogy.

I was just wondering, is it possible to get out of this contract if you hit a wall and run out of ideas in a series? I know sometimes they give you more time, but is it possible to actually get out of it?

It is usually possible to get out of your contract but if you have to get out of it because you can't supply the book(s) you're contracted to, you'll not enjoy getting out of that contract.

You'll have to pay back the advance you were paid and might have to pay termination fees, which can be substantial. It's neither easy nor painless. If you can't be reasonably sure that you can write the books you're being offered a contract for, it's best not to sign the contract.

I say this because I am worried about my own series. I'm an outliner, and have the first two books pretty well figured out. I know how the story ends, I know I need four books to get there, but I don't have a vast amount of 'filler' for the last two books. I'm worried I'm going to run out of ideas.

If you've outlined the series, and it's clear to you now that you don't have enough for the last two books without adding filler, then you don't have a four-book series. You might want to write a four-book series, but you don't have an outline for that right now, and if you add "filler" then you still won't have four books. You'll have the same as you've got now, but with stuff that any good editor is going to cut.

If it's not possible to get out of the contact, is it possible to only make it a two book contract when you know there is going to be four books? How would that work?

Two-book contracts are probably more common than four-book contracts.

If it was likely that there would be more books in the series than the two under contract, the contract would include a clause which gave your publisher the right of first refusal on subsequent works in the series. That wouldn't oblige them to take those books if you wrote them: it would just mean you'd have to let them see them before offering them to any other publishers (not that any other publishers would be likely to take books three or four of a series when another publisher had already published books one and two, but still).

No. You KNOW you've outlined something which says you need four books to get to the ending; but you also know you've not got enough content for those four books, so unless something big changes you aren't going to end up with four books.

But your telling me sometimes, if they know it's a series, they won't give you a four (or how many there are) book contract? That would be the kind of deal I am looking for. I just want to take it one book at a time.

You're more likely to be offered a one or two book contract as a new and untried writer, with the publisher having a right of first refusal on subsequent books.

I think you should concentrate on writing your first book now, if it's not already written, then write a new and better book, unrelated to that first one, and only start writing book two in your first series when you have sold book one.

This isn't a business decision, as was suggested upstream: it's good writing advice. Writing in a new world will stretch your talents and techniques and improve your writing in ways that writing a sequel will not.

If you have your outline structured for four books, but only have enough material for two, then you need to rethink your outline. Just because you want certain points in your outline to be the ending of a book two, three and four does not mean your story needs four books. You may have to turn some of those outline points into mini-resolutions within one or two books.

Yep.

We state in our contract that we have the first rights to the next book in a series instead of dedicating ourselves to unwritten books.

This doesn't make sense: if you have rights to the next book in a series, then you ARE "dedicating [y]ourselves to unwritten books".

And if you state in your contract that you have first rights to the next book, then I am not impressed by your contract. Good publishers take a right of first refusal to related books: but those clauses are very specific and don't demand that they just get to take those books, no matter what.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm deeply confused how you can know your series needs four books but you don't have much material for books three and four.

How large/how detailed are your outlines just now? Have you tried writing more detailed outlines
e.g. a line describing each chapter or a few pages describing each step of the story in line with a seven-point three act structure/the Monomyth structure/[insert your structure here]?

I'm confused about that too...but then again, I knew that the first book I wrote would be the first in a trilogy. I knew how the overarching plot would work throughout the course of three books, but I didn't know the nitty-gritty details that would push the plot from one page to the next, if that makes any sense.

I'm not worried about it, because I have outlined each book and from previous experience, I know that once I start writing the book, I'll get to know the characters better, side characters will show up, and situations will occur which will offer complications to the original plot and serve to enrich it. Maybe this might happen as you write? I wouldn't sign a 4-book deal without being confident about that though...

I think you should concentrate on writing your first book now, if it's not already written, then write a new and better book, unrelated to that first one, and only start writing book two in your first series when you have sold book one.

This isn't a business decision, as was suggested upstream: it's good writing advice. Writing in a new world will stretch your talents and techniques and improve your writing in ways that writing a sequel will not.

I agree with this. I think it's both good business and writing advice, tbh.

Business-wise: it's a risk to write the sequels when the first book hasn't even sold yet. You're putting all your eggs in one basket, and if your goal is to get published, your best bet is to move on to a whole different book.

Writing-wise: I learnt so much more when I wrote my second book, because it was in an entirely different genre and had a completely different voice. It forced me to break out of my comfort zone and in writing it, I saw all the mistakes I made with my first book. After I finished my second book, I went back to the first book and edited it using the tools I'd gained from the second book, and it's much, much better as a result. Again, if your goal is to get published, I think moving on to a different book is your best bet. I would only write the sequel if I were writing purely for enjoyment, just for myself to read, and didn't much care about improving as a writer.

Sparkling dust.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone, especially Old Hack for answering the full question. I have a feeling by what everyone is telling me that I should simply tell the publishers that I'm not sure how many books it is going to take, since I don't seem to really know. If I took this approach, I understand they aren't obligated have to publish subsequent books?

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone, especially Old Hack for answering the full question. I have a feeling by what everyone is telling me that I should simply tell the publishers that I'm not sure how many books it is going to take, since I don't seem to really know. If I took this approach, I understand they aren't obligated have to publish subsequent books?

If the first one doesn't sell, they won't publish the subsequent ones anyhow, (I don't think you can force them to lose money) and if the first one does do well, why wouldn't they want to publish more?

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com

There's no one-size-fits-all publishing process, but here's the trade publishing process I'm most familiar with: If a publisher accepts your book, they usually ask for a detailed outline of your planned sequels. Sometimes they only want to hear about Book 2, sometimes they want to hear about all planned future books for the series.

If you intend to pitch a four-book series you'd need a detailed outline of four books. If you only have an outline up to book two, you could only pitch a two-books series. With good sales this deal could be extended out to more books afterwards, but you'd still need outlines of the books you plan to write.

Last edited:

Ephiny0

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahbyrne.org
From what I've read (interviews etc) many agents don't like you to pitch a trilogy or series to them in the first instance. It might work better if you can pitch the first book as something that can stand alone, but with potential for a series. Surely it's possible to bring the story to some kind of satisfying conclusion at the end of book 1, even if it's not the absolute final ending you have in mind for the end of the series? This is what I'm doing with mine, anyway.

I don't think 'running out of ideas' is necessarily a problem. In my experience, the more you write and explore a world, the more ideas you generate. It's more a problem that you don't even know yet if your first book is going to sell, it seems a bit premature to be thinking about contracts for four books at this stage.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand the concept of running out of ideas. I'm continually flooded with ideas to the point where I get overwhelmed, and baffled about which to choose.

Australian River

Registered
Reaction score

Thanks. (Worried writer).

To me it just seems like you need to spend time with your story. I wrote what I thought would be a single novel. Then when it was done, I couldn't get the idea out of my head, and I got the idea for 2 more. I thought the 3rd book didn't have a strong enough story line, so I ended up with 4. The more time I spend with the story in my head, the more ideas come to me.

thelittleprince

Registered
Reaction score
As others have said, you need to be careful about pinning your hopes on sequels. I wrote a sequel of sorts to my first book after the first one was accepted (but a good year before it's release). My publisher really liked it, but said they wanted to give the first book a chance to prove itself before they took the second on. Which I'm fine with - it's in my contract that the publisher has rights to any sequels.

Have the sequels in your head, but don't stress about it too much. You have a long road ahead of you in trying to get one book accepted, let alone four!

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
This is a super helpful thread that answered several questions for me (which were not the same as the OP's but related). Thanks everyone for sharing all these thoughts about writing a series!

If I could hijack for a moment, I have a related follow-up question for anyone who has experience with a series...

Right now I'm querying an ms that could be the start of a series, so I've included the good old "series potential" line in my query. I have some loose ideas for another couple of books, but I haven't done anything with them or fleshed them out into a blurb or outline, since I haven't sold the first yet.

If I'm fortunate enough to get an offer, I'm wondering if should I be prepared to talk to the offering agent about my ideas for future books? The concepts are still pretty loose, and I would need to work on them to be able to talk about them in an intelligent way. I'm wondering at what point I need to worry about that?

I have 2 full requests out to agents right now, so I want to make sure I'm preparing in the right way.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
This is a super helpful thread that answered several questions for me (which were not the same as the OP's but related). Thanks everyone for sharing all these thoughts about writing a series!

If I could hijack for a moment, I have a related follow-up question for anyone who has experience with a series...

Right now I'm querying an ms that could be the start of a series, so I've included the good old "series potential" line in my query. I have some loose ideas for another couple of books, but I haven't done anything with them or fleshed them out into a blurb or outline, since I haven't sold the first yet.

If I'm fortunate enough to get an offer, I'm wondering if should I be prepared to talk to the offering agent about my ideas for future books? The concepts are still pretty loose, and I would need to work on them to be able to talk about them in an intelligent way. I'm wondering at what point I need to worry about that?

I have 2 full requests out to agents right now, so I want to make sure I'm preparing in the right way.

Likely before you get an offer you'll have a conversation with the agent, i.e. "the call." Likely, also, the agent will ask you about the "series potential." If not, you can bring this up yourself for discussion. ;)

Here are some links:

http://www.agentquery.com/writer_or.aspx

http://www.victoriastrauss.com/2014/02/26/questions-to-ask-your-prospective-literary-agent/

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score