How long should a novel synopsis be?

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
So, as per the guidelines of the publisher I'm getting ready to submit to, I'm working on a synopsis from start to finish. This is the first time I've done such a thing though and I'm a little concerned. So far I've boiled down about half the story and I'm at four pages, single-spaced. I'll easily double that before I'm done and I'm wondering if I'm going into too much detail for a synopsis.

So, the question, how long, and how in-depth should a book synopsis be for submissions?

I suppose i'm also wondering if it should be single or double-spaced, as the guidelines don't specify formatting for the synopsis, but I figured that's easy enough to chance once it's all written out.

So, any ideas?

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
I have no direct experience, but it seems anything over two pages has a slim chance of being read, strictly from a standpoint of how many submissions they get. I have not read any of the threads on the subject though.

Do their guidelines give any hints? As in first three chapters and synopsis. Chapters are to see if they grab the reader, synopsis would seem to be a way for them to see if there is a plot all the way through.

Just my opinion, based on uncertain logic.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
a full synopsis that takes the plot from beginning to end

That's what they say on their website, and nothing else on the subject really.

I mean. I could break it down to one sentence, one paragraph, easily enough. What I'm doing currently is breaking down the chapters, listing the plot points without going into too much detail. Or at least I think I'm not.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If they don't specify what length they want this synopsis to be, then give them a page, two at the very most, single-spaced.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I've read a ton of submission guidelines lately and the general synopsis preference seems to be 1-2 pages (single spaced with an extra space between paragraphs). There are a few who say 2-5 pages, but those are few and far between. IMO, keep it at or under 2 pages and you should be fine.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Step back and make it big-picture rather than detailed. Ignore subplots and subtleties for the time being.

One method that helps me is to look at each scene, or each chapter, and summarize in one sentence what happens in it. ("Darren follows Betty, is shocked to find her operating a still in her suburban back yard, confronts her, and gets slapped for his trouble.") Add a sentence at the beginning explaining who these people are, and voila, you have the first draft of a synopsis.

Maryn, who hates writing them but can do it

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
The ones I've sent to my novel publisher have been averaging around 5 pages (about 2000 words) usually. (I'm verbose!) The editor so far hasn't told me to make them shorter. But obviously all publishers are different. If it said "brief" synopsis I'd definitely try to keep it to under two pages or under 1000 words. Publisher guidelines never seem to be very specific on synopses. You could always email the submissions email address asking how long a synopsis they prefer.

Be careful with breaking it down chapter by chapter as that can make it turn into just a list of events "and then this and then that and then the other." Breaking down what's the key points in each chapter is a good starting point, but after that try to write it as more of a narrative, telling the story, not just detailing the plot. (Remember for a synopsis, reverse the "show don't tell" advice.) Don't miss out emotion and motivation and conflict.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The synopsis comes in long, short and very short forms. If they do not specific I would give them the long form (2-3 pages) as a file and the very short form in the query letter.