Submitting a children's book

Lepplady

Registered
Reaction score
Most of the place I see say to submit a children's book without any artwork, unless the author is an artist too.
Question is, how to format a children's book submission. Do I put a few lines on each page, leaving large empty spaces? Or do I write it out line for line, indicating page numbers in-line?
I don't want to shoot the project in the foot before it even has a chance because of shoddy formatting.
Thanks for any advice.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Most of the place I see say to submit a children's book without any artwork, unless the author is an artist too.
Question is, how to format a children's book submission. Do I put a few lines on each page, leaving large empty spaces? Or do I write it out line for line, indicating page numbers in-line?
I don't want to shoot the project in the foot before it even has a chance because of shoddy formatting.
Thanks for any advice.

The latter - just break it up with page numbers. No point in leaving big empty spaces, it just makes the MS a pain to page through and/or print out.

Also, don't fret too much about tanking the project because of formatting. Just make it legible and clear and you'll be fine.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Picture books follow standard manuscript format. Some authors leave an extra line to note page breaks, but it's not necessary. In fact, the editor and the rest of the design team may disagree with your planned layout. I don't think doing so hurts, but I'm not sure how much it helps unless there is something unusual or unique that makes a specific page break choice important.

Lepplady

Registered
Reaction score
The latter - just break it up with page numbers. No point in leaving big empty spaces, it just makes the MS a pain to page through and/or print out.

Also, don't fret too much about tanking the project because of formatting. Just make it legible and clear and you'll be fine.
Thank you. I was truly baffled.
:)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I never put proposed page numbers or extra lines on the manuscript.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I never put proposed page numbers or extra lines on the manuscript.

You're not obliged to put page numbers in. But it implies you've thought about how the text will work with pictures, and how the whole story is told w/r/t the format. I think doing that, and demonstrating it, is worthwhile, to be honest.

Lepplady

Registered
Reaction score
Given the absence of pictures, does any description besides the actual prose go into it? Do I describe what the picture should look like? Or do I submit only the writing and dialog as it will appear in the book?
Thanks for any advice.

Stylo

wall gazer extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I'd only describe things that are important in order to gain full understanding, but which cannot be gleaned from the text.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
You submit only the text. The rest is up to the illustrator and designer. If the story makes no sense without a note, use the briefest note you can. Don't include anything in the text that will be in the illustration unless it is imperative to the story. An example would be any color words or hairstyles.