"Look Inside" feature --only on Kindle editions?

Zeddo

Talk to the hat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allanjemerson
I notice the option to see the first few chapters of books on Amazon is available only when there's a Kindle edition offered. Hardcopy or paperback editions don't have the feature. I think the "look inside" feature is crucial--I wouldn't buy a book online unless I could sample the writing.

Is there any way a writer can make this feature available for books that don't have a Kindle edition?

I recall reading in some thread that there's an extra charge for the "look inside" feature. Does anyone how much it is?
Also, are there any other booksites that have a similar feature? (I don't see it on Barnes & Noble, for example)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's not true that print editions don't have the "look inside" feature, and that this is only possible with Kindle editions. For example, here's Nicola Morgan's excellent "Write To Be Published" in paperback, complete with "look inside" label.

It used to be that interested readers could download a sample of a Kindle book: I think the book's publisher could set how much of the book would be available for sample. Now it seems that one has the "look inside" option instead which always used to only be available for print editions.

With print editions, I think the publisher has to download scans of the opening pages in order to enable this feature.

I realise I've not answered all of your questions but I hope I've cleared up a few things.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
It's still possible to get a sample sent to your Kindle by Amazon -- this is as well as the Look Inside feature. At least, this is possible on the UK site. I can't check on Amazon.com as I'm told I have to buy through the UK, but I assume it's the same there.

Zeddo

Talk to the hat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allanjemerson
Thanks for the info.

Here's an example of a non-Kindle book without the "look inside" feature.

Here's another.

aruna, I don't see anything that would allow a sample. This is Amazon.com, so perhaps they don't have the feature you have in the UK.

Old Hack, I'm negotiating a contract which may be for hardcopy only, so I'm trying to figure out if would be reasonable to try to include a clause guaranteeing the "look inside" feature if the book is offered on Amazon.

Thanks for your comments.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
This is an example of a paperback (PoD) novel on .com that allows Look Inside. I can't check if it allows a Kindle sample on .com, but on amazon uk it does -- as well as Look Inside. The "send a sample" button is right below the Buy Now with 1 Click box.

Zeddo

Talk to the hat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allanjemerson
Interesting. I see the "look inside" feature and "send sample" button on Amazon.UK, but for the same book on Amazon.com there's just the "look inside" feature.

Still wondering why some non-kindle offerings on .com don't have the preview feature.