Replying to rejection letter?

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I recently received a rejection letter with a detailed response about what they liked about the story, what didn't work, and how I could make it better. I really appreciate the response and that they didn't just send a form rejection. My initial reaction was to write back a quick thanks. I was wondering if this would be okay or if you're just supposed to take the rejection and move on and not bother them with another e-mail? Is there really a right or wrong here, or an "industry standard", or should I just go ahead and write back the quick thanks, since that's what I'm most inclined to do?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would send a very short note thanking them for their time and advice. Keep it brief and professional (no gushing! :).

It's a toss-up, but I don't think you should include anything about you resubmitting it to them ("I will resubmit the story after considering the changes you suggested and editing the story . . . "). Just let it be a thank you. If and when you do revise the story and resubmit it to them, then you can mention their suggested changes.

Last edited:

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm just going to send a quick thank you.

Relayer

Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with a thank you note.

I've done this more than once. Then keep them on your list for your next project, copy their response and include it in the future query to remind them of their "glowing" rejection letter.

Just don't be a pest, but sometimes persistence pays off.
Good luck.

Relayer

Registered
Reaction score
Just replied with a thank you to rej on a full to see if she wants to see a rewrite she suggested. Then I'll do the rewrite and re-reply again. Persistence or pestering? Don't see what I have to lose.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It costs nothing to be polite and practice common courtesy, even in the face of rejection. You never know if or when your paths may cross again. One should never underestimate the power of a pleasant memory, even if it's nothing more than a courteous thank you.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My thoughts: First, remember it's still a rejection, so don't read more into more than it actually is.

A thank you for a regular rejection is annoying. It clogs up their email for no reason they'd want and makes it look like you don't know how it goes.

A thank you for the rare rejection where the editor went way out of her/his way to help you- and just a couple of quick comments doesn't count- is okay and nice but don't slip in anything else (gushing, bragging, requesting anything or extra info. trying to form a special relationship).

Do not resubmit, or ask to resubmit, if you haven't been specifically asked to do so. If the editor wanted that, they would have asked for it.

Don't copy and paste a copy any of it if you send something else later. No big "in" there and annoying to present it as if some kind of promise was hinted at when it wasn't.

What they want is a story that knocks their socks off, that time. That's it, really. If you've ever had to sort through a never-ending inbox on an ongoing basis, you know.

Relayer

Registered
Reaction score
My thoughts: First, remember it's still a rejection, so don't read more into more than it actually is.

A thank you for a regular rejection is annoying. It clogs up their email for no reason they'd want and makes it look like you don't know how it goes.

A thank you for the rare rejection where the editor went way out of her/his way to help you- and just a couple of quick comments doesn't count- is okay and nice but don't slip in anything else (gushing, bragging, requesting anything or extra info. trying to form a special relationship).

Do not resubmit, or ask to resubmit, if you haven't been specifically asked to do so. If the editor wanted that, they would have asked for it.

Don't copy and paste a copy any of it if you send something else later. No big "in" there and annoying to present it as if some kind of promise was hinted at when it wasn't.

What they want is a story that knocks their socks off, that time. That's it, really. If you've ever had to sort through a never-ending inbox on an ongoing basis, you know.

Good points.

I posted my rej on daily rejection thread to ask for opinions like yours to my specific situation - I didn't want to hijack someone else's thread or start a thread on a topic that there was clearly an allotted thread already.

Here's the Link to that post.
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8827596&postcount=11113

I have replied to agents who "hinted" about rewrites without asking and they have reread. I felt my rej had a strong enough implication and I was going to have the ms critiqued by a pro anyway, plus I did agree with her suggestions - much to my chagrin.

But yes, we writers do read into everything - hence why I was asking for opinion which I haven't received on that thread as of yet.

Last edited: