All Things Middle Grade

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
:hooray: C :hooray: O :hooray: N :hooray: G :hooray: R :hooray: A :hooray: T :hooray: S :hooray: Sary! That's awesome! :)

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PVish, that's interesting, because I've heard from several other agents that under 30K is a bit short for MG these days. And plenty of books are selling at over 45K.

Yep. Kristin Nelson, for example, says:

If you are on the low side (like under 50,000 words for YA or under 40,000 words for MG), you might not have developed your story enough.

The main point of that particular blog entry is that word count is unimportant -- it's the story that counts. However, she apparently believes anything under 40,000 words is a bit short for MG. I disagree with her about that, but her opinion is worth noting, since she is a well-respected agent.

:)Smish

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

A few AWers(Timp) and I have joined some other MG authors on a new blog, Project Mayhem, to talk about publishing, writing, and everything kidlit related. I'm giving away a signed hardcover of my book, WILDFIRE RUN, so check it out if you are interested. Today's post is about some of the things I've learned trying to get published. Here'e the link

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I just found this thread a few days ago and finally read all 20 pages. A big thanks to timp67 for starting it and to all who have contributed to it. Once again, I've been inspired to resume work on my middle grade novel, Play Ball, which I first began writing 7 years ago.

I use the excuse of running my small landscape design-build business to avoid writing, especially when my muse abandons me or I get yet another rejection. The closest I got to landing an agent was when one told me she loved the first half, then around 92k words, but the second half, which involves the MC moving in with his aunt in another state, the story was not nearly as strong. The agent requested a rewrite, then another before finally passing. :(

For those who have recently found agents or have been published, CONGRATULATIONS!

For those enduring the brutal road to publication, I'd like to refer you to a quote Amarie provides in her article in the linked blog: "Never give up! Never surrender!" For those who haven't, it says a lot about your character. And to you, I say, CONGRATULATIONS!

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

A few AWers(Timp) and I have joined some other MG authors on a new blog, Project Mayhem, to talk about publishing, writing, and everything kidlit related. I'm giving away a signed hardcover of my book, WILDFIRE RUN, so check it out if you are interested. Today's post is about some of the things I've learned trying to get published. Here'e the link

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing the link. :)

I just found this thread a few days ago and finally read all 20 pages. A big thanks to timp67 for starting it and to all who have contributed to it. Once again, I've been inspired to resume work on my middle grade novel, Play Ball, which I first began writing 7 years ago.

I use the excuse of running my small landscape design-build business to avoid writing, especially when my muse abandons me or I get yet another rejection. The closest I got to landing an agent was when one told me she loved the first half, then around 92k words, but the second half, which involves the MC moving in with his aunt in another state, the story was not nearly as strong. The agent requested a rewrite, then another before finally passing. :(

For those who have recently found agents or have been published, CONGRATULATIONS!

For those enduring the brutal road to publication, I'd like to refer you to a quote Amarie provides in her article in the linked blog: "Never give up! Never surrender!" For those who haven't, it says a lot about your character. And to you, I say, CONGRATULATIONS!

Glad you're working on an MG novel, and hope you continue to hang out in our playground. :D

Angela_785

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
thebookshelfmuse.blogspot.com
Yep. Kristin Nelson, for example, says:

The main point of that particular blog entry is that word count is unimportant -- it's the story that counts. However, she apparently believes anything under 40,000 words is a bit short for MG. I disagree with her about that, but her opinion is worth noting, since she is a well-respected agent.

:)Smish

Interesting that she feels under 40K is short. I think the issue is, MG is actually such a huge reading range. Many MGs are quite advanced both in topic and reading level, while others are closer to expanded chapter books in some ways, yet with stronger more complex storylines. Me, I would hesitate to push the MG I'm writing to 40K because its definitely for the younger side.

One thing I found interesting too...this summer I won 9 MG ARCs, and I noticed a few of them have protags that are 14. This leads me to believe there's some leeway in the protag age if the style of writing and the type of storyline is cleary MG territory.

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
Glad you're here, MoonWriter! :)

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
One thing I found interesting too...this summer I won 9 MG ARCs, and I noticed a few of them have protags that are 14. This leads me to believe there's some leeway in the protag age if the style of writing and the type of storyline is cleary MG territory.
A friend of mine, a successful MG author, mentioned she thought one of the big differences between MG and YA (besides the age of the mc) was that in YA, the focus tends to be on the internal life of the MC, as in coming of age stories, or how events (whether parents divorcing or aliens invading) affect the protag.

Whereas in MG, it's more about the story, the adventure. Sure, the effect on the protag is part of it, but it's the tale itself that holds the primary spot.

An interesting thought, because I've said almost the same thing about adult literary vs genre fiction.

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard it said that MG is about characters finding their place in the family, and YA is about them finding their place in the world.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I think the time perspective is another key difference. MG kids are focused in the moment: Right now and what's going to happen next. Adults are focused behind: How did we end up in this place? Teens are focused on the future: What is my life going to become when I finally get out on my own?

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
This is insightful!

I've been noticing that the adventure MG I've been reading really is all about the ripping yarn. Which makes it funner than ome of the more ponderous self-reflective fantasy adventures for adults I've read. It's much more to the point.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I think the time perspective is another key difference. MG kids are focused in the moment: Right now and what's going to happen next. Adults are focused behind: How did we end up in this place? Teens are focused on the future: What is my life going to become when I finally get out on my own?

Well said! Too much introspective long-term musings will bump the voice into YA.

Angela_785

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
thebookshelfmuse.blogspot.com

I like this!

Great conversation on what makes MG a MG guys! Very helpful. :)

Fantasy_trader

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
My first novel is a MG sci fi and I am currently agent hunting for it.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard it said that MG is about characters finding their place in the family, and YA is about them finding their place in the world.

Yes. I think you're both essentially saying the same thing, though I'd word Timp's example to say "finding their place among family and friends", since school is such an important part of the middle-grade experience.

At that age, kids focus on what's immediate, as Judy says... which is how they fit in with their friends and family, as Timp says. You're both so brilliant. :D

ETA: Good luck with the agent hunt, Matt. Keep us posted!

Last edited:

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
Was that an R and R, Smish? :)

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
R and R=Revise and resubmit!

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
Haha! First the revise and resubmit, THEN the rest and relaxation! :)

Etsi

Registered
Reaction score
LIVVIE OWEN LIVED HERE is out in the world! It's release day!

I'm going to celebrate by staying in bed all day and doing absolutely nothing. :)
Just saw this and looked up your book. CONGRATULATIONS!

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
This gives me a bit more confidence for my first queries I am sending next week!

WOW Sary that an interesting page spread!

Just popping in to let you know (and you may already) that at SCBWI LA, boy MG is being talked about a lot. Scholastic has an editor specifically hired to look for more MG boy books. Just thought folks would like to know how hot it is right now.

Last edited:

Sary

Registered
Reaction score
Just saw this and looked up your book. CONGRATULATIONS!

Thanks!!

This gives me a bit more confidence for my first queries I am sending next week!

Good!

WOW Sary that an interesting page spread!

I know, isn't it gorgeous? The art people at Feiwel are just unbelievable. I'm in awe of the job they did on this book.

My book launch party is today! I'm very excited!

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
YIPPY!! its nice to be proud of your book artwork. Thats the only thing that worries me! did you have any say in the artwork? I wish the writers at least were given a few options.

Sary who is your agent ? :)