The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammyig

Vampire Connoisseur
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

We started the Christmas baking yesterday. We make the things we can freeze early so we don't kill ourselves Christmas week. Today is coconut macaroon and cranberry orange bread day.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Generally avoiding Xmas as long as possible. Living with a hoarder, the only places to put decorations is on piles of junk, which is just not festive. Family is dead or on the other side of the country. All my RL friends live in other states. I'm trying to come up with a good excuse not to attend Xmas Day obligations but so far I don't have one, and D's fixated on picking up a tree today even thought we have no space.

So yeah...."bah humbug" again.

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats OL!!!:)

Sammy - YUM!

Hiya purgies and happy Sunday! Happy Hanukah to those who celebrate!

Made this SNICKERS FUDGE yesterday for a holiday party we went to last night. Ridiculously yummy. A bit of work compared to regular fudge, but worth the effort. It was a hit.

Okay, off to get our Christmas tree. I am so behind on all things holiday this year.

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
Yay lesa

I am in for visiting a chick that needs a talkin to :D sign me up!

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
Congrats, Lisa. I didn't see it in PL but will keep my eyes open.

Jenn, I don't dare click on that link. I'm determined to keep my weight stable if not improved during the holidays. DO YOU PEOPLE KNOW HOW HARD THAT IS TO ACCOMPLISH WITH YOUR FOOD POSTS?

;)

(((KT))) I don't share a home with hoarders, but I prefer clean lines to clutter. Let's just say I'm alone in my sensibilities.

It's gorgeous here. -22 Celsius, hoar frost on all the trees, but finally sunny.

Guys, I've moved to the laptop for most of my work. Installed Chrome and am using the selective website blocker, so I have access to Dropbox but am blocked from Twitter, AW, etc. But I can't uninstall IE because it's intrinsic to some of Windows XPs workings. Does anyone know of a *selective* IE blocker? (Where you can block certain sites but not others?)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
:hooray: Lisa! :snoopy:

Made oatmeal-raisin cookies today, but the serious Christmas cookie baking will take place next weekend. On Wed, when I have the day off, is the Great Cookie Pop Extravaganza. They don't look difficult, but I've never made them before, so they'll take a bit longer the first time.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Crap. Finally got an Amazon review and it's from my mom. Way to make me look pathetic while being cluelessly supportive. This will encourage absolutely no one to buy and discourage others.

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
Uh-oh, kellion. I'm laughing and cringing on your behalf. Sweet gesture, but argh!!! Supposedly Amazon removes reviews of people with the same last name, so I doubt it will linger.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Kell, you aren't alone. My sister did that for WR, but I had her take it down. And like haupe says, since amaz0n has cracked down on reviews, it probably won't stay

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
And sheesh, Cricket, you're up late!

We went to a holiday party in Redondo Beach which is a solid hour away with traffic. Musician friends who we don't see a lot for this very reason! The music ended at 11:00 but we stayed to catch up, even though we vowed to leave by 11:30. We left at 1:30--oy.

Crap. Finally got an Amazon review and it's from my mom. Way to make me look pathetic while being cluelessly supportive. This will encourage absolutely no one to buy and discourage others.

Uh-oh, kellion. I'm laughing and cringing on your behalf. Sweet gesture, but argh!!! Supposedly Amazon removes reviews of people with the same last name, so I doubt it will linger.

{{{Kel}}} Ditto what Haupe said. Your mom has a different last name, right? So only someone who knows her would know it's your mom. Unless...she mentioned she was related? I'll go look. You could ask her to take it down...?

I'm going back to the gym today...I think. Must get back on track. Wash car, general stuff. Oh, and I'm making Jul!@ Ch!lds recipe for french onion soup, sans beef broth....could be interesting!

ETA: I looked at the review, Kel. Yep, what the others said--her name matches yours, so it will be taken down.

Last edited:

LGwenn

Rollin' Boulders, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya Purgs!

OL! YAY!!!

um... You can put me on Team Smackaho! I come armed and I'm scary looking besides. :D

Hugs for all the harried Decembers.

:D Jamaica was awesome. I'm 100% off the meds ( which has me a little twingy ... but it's better this way. I can think!)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Lela! glad you made it back and are off meds and that Jamaica was wonderful.

Pics? *looks around* Hmm?

Two hours ago: Personalized R on a horror short with an invitation to sub other works. That's two of those now. Grr.

Five minutes ago: Subbed that puppy out again. Sub and conquer, baby!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lisa, that's wonderful news--not the cold, the other, silly. Take a steamy bath in your boutique hotel. The only rule is that reading material must be paperback, just in case.

KTaylor, I don't think it had clicked until now that you're with a hoarder. Do you foresee treatment in D's future? I do enjoy my stuff, and we're packed pretty tightly, but it's manageable. I'm not sure I could deal with someone whose need to keep things is at a substantially higher level. I hope you've at least carved out a space that's clear and spartan where he is not allowed to put anything at all.

Haupe, maintaining my current weight is my goal over the holidays, too. We don't go to a lot of parties or anything, but between the kids coming here and nostalgia for the holidays of our childhoods, plus more wine and less inhibition, it's so easy to buy or make treats, to serve different main courses, to overindulge, to tell yourself it's only once a year, yada-yada-yada.

Mr. Maryn has determined that the drooping kitchen cabinet is beyond his repair abilities, so I get to deal with finding someone who can. We walked today--each time we go I fear it will be the last outdoor walk, and I don't like the treadmill. Today we took a wrong turn and had to backtrack in order to get out of a fenced area, so ending up walking over six miles. (I was good with it, but by the end I really had to pee!) Later I hit the farmer's market, which closes for the season soon. Got some autumn honey, but the jam lady wasn't there. Damn. She makes the very best I've ever had.

I'm still on a sort of hiatus from writing, actually considering stopping again. (Which I've done once before.) I don't seem to approach it with the skill or dedication many others bring to the table, my skin remains thinner than it should, nobody seems to want to read what I like to write, and maybe I should just be doing other things which bring me pleasure instead, you know? I mean, I like to sew, and I'm fairly good at it. Maybe I should sew and watch old movies instead of write and try to sell it.

Maryn, not upset or anything, so no worries

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
(((Maryn))) for the cabinet, if you won't take it for the writing.

Lela, YAY!

I did ask my mom to take down the review, so now I will get to be publicly humiliated by the review and ALSO subject to her deep injury that I didn't appreciate her support. So I lose all around.

Hooray.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hooray, Lela!

So, one of the downsides of being a writer. Friends asking you for a small favour...can I read their short stories and poems.

Erm...no.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That happens to me too, fire. I almost always say I'm under deadline and can't take on anthing till further notice.

That works for me, because it's pretty much the truth.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
lisa!!! lela!! congrats!!!

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CALEB!!! All the year long, sir!:partyguy::partyguy::partyguy::partyguy::partyguy::partyguy:

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
lisa!!! gong xi gong xi!!!

kell, aww, it isn't so bad.
amazon reviews don't make or break
imo. esp if positive, even if from mom.

i honestly think no one in
my fam has read my novels! ha!