Come One, Come All, To DecNoEdMo!

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
I just started preliminary edits on my Nano novel. I'm on chapter three right now. My goal is to get through as many chapters as I can today because I'm taking tomorrow off.

It's my birthday. :D

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Happy birthday! :) My high school math teacher loved Calvin and Hobbes and showed us a lot of comics for some reason. :tongue

I feel silly... I woke up after Cliff did. :roll:

I've done nothing so far today! :D

~Amber~

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Two in the afternoon, actually. :D REALLLLY taking advantage of the fact that I don't have school. :tongue

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
LOL. Although I shouldn't laugh... I was like that in High School, years ago. On weekends or during 2- or 4-week breaks, or over Summer, I often stayed up till about 3am and then slept past noon. :)

I remember once I woke up at dinner time. WTF?

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! :D

Cliff Face:

And hell yeah, Calvin and Hobbes is awesome. I grew up reading the strip. I was very sad when it ended.

xXVampyrePrincessXx:

Your old math teach was awesome. :D

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I used to have an omnibus of Calvin And Hobbes. As in, there were about 6 books comprising the whole collection, I think, and the omnibus had 2 of them. Don't know what happened to it... But I remember passing many hours on a plane between Singapore and England reading it when I was a kid. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, by the way... Is the quote in that avatar actually from Calvin, or was it something you put in yourself? I haven't read the whole series, but I don't recall that particular one, but it sounds like something Calvin would say. :)

ETA: Just did another half page of plotting for my epic fantasy. Looking to work on something else now.

ETA2: Spent 45 minutes reorganising my writing folders. That counts as a writerly thing to do, right? :tongue Also found a file that I need to work on, and finish, before Christmas. It's not a huge thing to do, though.

Basically, my grandad isn't very good with computers. Understandable, as he only used his first one in his 70s! Anyway, he started typing his life story, but thought the computer wasn't big enough to store that many words. So what he did was write a page, print it out, delete it, then write another page. So when we found out, I offered to type up what he had printed already (along with telling him he could store several billion words on his computer in all likelihood).

There were about 20 pages, and I typed up maybe 7 of them at the time... But then I got busy with life stuff and forgot about it. Lately he asked about it again, so I've dug out the physical folder with the pages in it, found the Word doc today, and yeah, I plan on surprising him with it at Christmas. :)

So that'll take a few good writing sessions. I'm not a very fast typer when it comes to copying something on paper...

*adds to list of things to do in December*

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Just edited chapter 4 of WIP#1. Going to give it another read through. I didn't change as much in this chapter as I have done in the previous ones. I think that's a sign the writing is improving...

ETA: Read through chapter 4 one more time, changed a few things, and it's reading pretty well. :)

Last edited:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Cliff Face, that's such a great project to do for your grandad :)

Edited up to Chapter 6 (of roughly 31) last night. Looking forward to a proper editing marathon tonight as I'll have more free time. I'm finding it difficult to focus on line-by-lines when I know my planned changes will drastically change the story again when I do them, but I'm forcing myself to stick with it.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Mmm, I think he'll appreciate it. I'll *faceplant* if I find out he's done the same thing with what he's written in the mean time... I don't really want to have to type up another load of his life story that he's printed and deleted!

In other news, I was going to edit another chapter tonight, but decided to read a chapter of the book I'm reading first, just to give myself a break.

That turned into a 2-hour reading session, and now it's nearly bed time. I'll just read another chapter or two, then go to bed. Didn't get nearly enough done today... But this book suddenly got interesting!

Eh, tomorrow's a new day, and at least I did get something done today. :)

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
I have The Complete Calvin and Hobbes. It's three beautiful volumes in hard cover. It's very heavy, but very worth the price.

And yes, the quote is Calvin's. I was looking for something to use as an avatar for Christmas, and couldn't resist it. :D

I used to have an omnibus of Calvin And Hobbes. As in, there were about 6 books comprising the whole collection, I think, and the omnibus had 2 of them. Don't know what happened to it... But I remember passing many hours on a plane between Singapore and England reading it when I was a kid. :)

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
bd, whatever you decide to do, you can always hang out in here. It's never as active as November in the other months, but there're usually about 5 regulars who never leave here. :)

Thank you :) Hanging out here all year sounds like fun!

The project for your grandfather sounds like a great Christmas surprise, too!

And because I love Calvin & Hobbes too, and saw this on Twitter recently:
Calvin & Hobbes Search Engine

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome. :)

And yes, grandad will be nicely surprised. Actually, this allows me to do something else I was thinking of, too...

I had bought nanna a book for Christmas, and found 4 very cheap books for mum. I won't be telling them how much they cost, of course, so I was thinking to even it out I'd give one of mum's cheapo books to nanna along with her expensive one... Y'know, just to make it seem a little fairer or something?

Anyway, that left grandad with just a DVD, and I was worried he might think he was missing out. But with this project as well... Yeah, I can give him something extra for no cost. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've started my creative day by... finishing reading a novel. So not exactly progress on my own, but, well, I want to get as many books read over my break as I can. I know I won't have much time for reading once Uni's back on.

Now that the book is finished, I'll be working on my own things a little soon.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've started my creative day by... finishing reading a novel. So not exactly progress on my own, but, well, I want to get as many books read over my break as I can. I know I won't have much time for reading once Uni's back on.

Now that the book is finished, I'll be working on my own things a little soon.

Spooky. Everyone pretend I said this first because this is EXACTLY what I was doing. :tongue

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
LOL. :)

I'm really tempted to just get stuck into the next book in the series... But no. I have to do some work.

*looks at epic fantasy notes* It's a good thing I don't intend to write this book for at least a year - plotting it is so slow!

I really need to force myself to write new words on WIP#2. So far, I've done vastly more editing on WIP#1.

ETA: Did a bit more plotting for the epic fantasy. I now have 1 + 1/3 pages of questions and potential answers. Just then, I was trying to work out what sort of heroes I'd have. I had 10 possible (vague) answers I could think of. *sigh* This will take a long time to sort through once I've stopped asking myself questions!

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Edited chapter 5. Going to give it 1 more read-through, then put it to rest. 11 chapters to go...

ETA: Final read through of chapter 5 done. Changed a couple of small things. In other news, I've been sorting things out the past few days. First my writing folder, then my email Inboxes. I think I'm going to organise some sort of spreadsheet for keeping track of all my writing-related stuff now...

ETA2: Spent an hour creating a nifty little spreadsheet. :) It's nifty having all that information in one place... *stares at screen* Mmm, lists... :tongue I also found out that, not counting University homework, in the 4 years or so I've been writing, I've written 337,854 words! Wow! Granted, that's only about 84,000 per year... Which doesn't sound quite as grand.

Last edited:

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
Yet another submission fest today... Up to 34 "points" ( you get 1 point a short story, 3 for a partial novel, 8 for a full novel - my points are all in short stories).

My "goal" is to get to 60 points by the end of the year - I have the stories written.

One of the things about going on a submission splurge is that you suddenly get to look forward to a rejection every day... *sigh*

Must... not... eat... chocolate.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with your submissions!

I just spent 3 frickin' hours editing a single chapter. I swear, chapter 6 required more editing than the first chapter (which was the first chapter I ever wrote, ever).

I can only rationalise this as "Chapter 6 is where we finally meet the last 3 characters of the series". The dialogue was off, one character was nothing like she wound up being later in the story, or in book 2, and there were some inconsistencies running rampant with plot. Ugh. Just ugh.

But it's done now... And now I think I'll spend the remainder of the evening reading. I've totally earned it.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Good luck with the submissions, ShadowFox!

In my editing, I'm on Chapter 9 of 50, page 50 of 310. Slow going, but I'm just happy not to have entirely frozen up. I babbled about my process on the blog.

The only problem with my process is I can't lug a full printed manuscript to work, so I can't get any editing done on my lunch break. Curses!