Pondering on starting a very small press, advertising coop... something else entirely?

coriej

Registered
Reaction score
I've been lurking here forever, and finally have a question I'm not seeing answered elsewhere.

I've self-published 2 MG novels, and have a YA on the way. I'm putting them into paperback, and really, just now thinking about seriously marketing them.

I've realized now how many marketing opportunities are closed to me, or at least have higher hurdles because I went the self-publishing route. Which yes, I should have thought about, but didn't.

A few of my readers have commented that they enjoyed having MG and YA books that didn't have quite so much of a romantic element to them.

I'm kicking around the idea of starting a nano/small press focusing on the niche of girl positive MG/YA science fiction and fantasy. Ebooks only, until sales and reviews justify going to paperback. (To be clear - not a subsidy/vanity press - I'm a strong believer that money flows to the author, not the other way around.)

I suppose it might make more sense as an advertising coop... but then there's still the issue that there's a number of review places that won't look at self-published at all, and if sales justify going to paper, Library Journal, Kirkus and SLJ will accept a small press without fees, unlike self-published books. (not that they'll review it, but at least the door is open) And if a book is self-published, its super difficult to get into Books in Print for the cateloging number that libraries like to see before ordering.

Is this a terrible idea? I know royalties would have to be high and contract lengths fairly short to justify authors risking a book on a new press - but it seems like it might work.

Deleted member 42

Yes this is a terrible idea.

Go look at the Bewares Index and the number of small presses who are no more.

And look at all the authors whose books signed to those small presses are in limbo.

Presses fold because the owners and core staff don't know nearly enough about book production, marketing, licensing and contracts, distribution and acquisition.

And because they have inadequate start up funds.

Here's a better idea:

Start a review web site and highlight books that meet those criteria be reviewing them. Interview their authors. Talk to kids about why they liked/didn't like books.

Talk to agents and editors who represent and acquire those books.

Last edited by a moderator:

coriej

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback - really!

I have spent nearly a decade working at a small press - but that was a while ago, and it was primarily nonfiction. I know I'd need to relearn quite a lot.

I think primarily what the micropress might have going for it is help with marketing, which is often more than authors realize.

As far as contracts, I'd been thinking a fairly limited term, with options for renewal. I wouldn't want anyone to be stuck.

Thanks again for giving me more things to think about!

Deleted member 42

I think primarily what the micropress might have going for it is help with marketing, which is often more than authors realize.

A carefully targeted, carefully designed niche web site would a long way to helping with marketing.

Reach out to authors, librarians, teachers publishers, editors, books store employees, and READERS.

Even things like reading lists can make a a huge difference in terms of helping readers, book buyers, and librarians find those books.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback - really!

I have spent nearly a decade working at a small press - but that was a while ago, and it was primarily nonfiction. I know I'd need to relearn quite a lot.

As far as contracts, I'd been thinking a fairly limited term, with options for renewal. I wouldn't want anyone to be stuck.

Thanks again for giving me more things to think about!

Given this in your first post -

I've self-published 2 MG novels, and have a YA on the way. I'm putting them into paperback, and really, just now thinking about seriously marketing them.

I wonder about the former. I get that you realize now but saying your main benefit is the thing you haven't engaged in seems odd?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Most small presses fail because they're undercapitalised, because the people who start them up don't know enough about publishing or business to run the business appropriately, and because they don't know enough other people in publishing and bookselling to make their books as good as they should be.

Can you afford to spend several thousand dollars per title, knowing that it might be over a year before you see any return on that investment? And knowing that you might not make that investment back on several of the books you publish?

Do you know good editors, designers, publicity people? Have you ever run a business before? Do you understand your responsibilities with regard to taxes, your legal obligations, and contract law?

Do you understand how distribution works in trade publishing? Do you understand that it's far, far more than just listing books on retail websites?

While I understand your enthusiasm I am not convinced that you know enough about publishing to make it work, and if you start and fail you'll take with you all the books you've signed up.

Please be cautious.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com

What kind of experience do you have with marketing fiction?

And to make a success of what you're marketing, you'll need to acquire and edit the books first. You'll need someone to handle design and layout and blurbs and cover art. All that requires experience, effort and money - and that's before getting into the costs and requirements of marketing.

coriej

Registered
Reaction score
You all have convinced me towards the more cautious path - thank you for the reality check! (meant sincerely)

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
You all have convinced me towards the more cautious path - thank you for the reality check! (meant sincerely)

Don't feel too bad, though. Many of us have had the same idea. I did, for a few minutes, until I ran the numbers and decided against it.

I also dream of owning an indie bookstore, but that's probably just as impractical :)

coriej

Registered
Reaction score
That's a good part of why I threw it out here... I had the suspicion it was a bad idea, and knew that folks wiser in the industry could reinforce that much faster than I'd talk myself out of it if it really wasn't workable. And yes - a little indie bookstore, with cats!

NQuinn

Registered
Reaction score
I think you should go for it, and try not to spend any money in the process, but if you do, keep careful - detailed record of it all, then after it fails in a year or so, help all your lingering authors-in-wait by giving them self-publishing subscriptions to some site, any site really, then write a book about the entire process and narrate it old-school memoir style - - share this book .pdf Style with the world and all the connections you made while running your mini-press - for 9.99$, then use a % of the revenue to rebuild the minipress with a more solid foundation that you have the experience to know what you need. Hell, do a Kickstarter for a Revival of the *insert Minipress name* and target the hipster/tumblr crowd.

Oh yeah, tumblog about it constantly, via twitter and post selfies with authors that come in for meetings. :D Goodluck.

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
And yes - a little indie bookstore, with cats!

I used to work for someone who owned a little second-hand bookstore. Very ecletic stock, and the owner might have at least kept her head above water if she hadn't been such a hopeless businessperson. She didn't even keep an inventory. I'm sure you'll do better than that. :)

Oh, the bookstore went out of business eventually.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
A few of my readers have commented that they enjoyed having MG and YA books that didn't have quite so much of a romantic element to them.

I'm kicking around the idea of starting a nano/small press focusing on the niche of girl positive MG/YA science fiction and fantasy. Ebooks only, until sales and reviews justify going to paperback. .
Unfortunately there is a reason why there are so many epublishers that only do erotic romance, romance or horror.

Last edited:

writer_mccall

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writermccall.weebly.com
I had an idea for this as well. I think it's much easier to do nowdays and will only get easier as ebooks and print-on-demand style of selling books becomes larger and any initial start-up costs decrease.
My idea is to only do it if I have several books out that are making some money for me to sustain it

Morgan_R

they/them
Registered
Reaction score
Get a job at an established small press. Learn the ropes.

Five years later you'll be better able to assess this question.

I'd be seriously considering this... if I thought I could get hired (or even get an internship) without knowing some ropes in the first place. :p

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I used to work for someone who owned a little second-hand bookstore. Very ecletic stock, and the owner might have at least kept her head above water if she hadn't been such a hopeless businessperson. She didn't even keep an inventory. I'm sure you'll do better than that. :)

Oh, the bookstore went out of business eventually.

One of my mates works for a guy whose DVD rental shop has just gone out of business, so he's opening up a second hand book shop.

No, I don't get it either. Although to be fair, it is located in the inner north of Melbourne, which may be one of the few places in the country that a second hand book shop has a chance in hell of surviving.