How to interpret amazon rankings?

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

My debut novel is on pre-order with Amazon.co.uk. I think my publisher put it on there today or yesterday. So I scroll down and see in the info: 'amazon bestsellers rank' 107, 296 (looks like it keeps changing). Nothing on the .COM site.

What does this 'ranking' actually mean? I'm an unknown, newbie author and there are gazillions of books on amazon right? I'm not deluded into thinking there's been a mad rush for my book, but all the same i'm intrigued.

Thanks for any insights.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Hi

My debut novel is on pre-order with Amazon.co.uk. I think my publisher put it on there today or yesterday. So I scroll down and see in the info: 'amazon bestsellers rank' 107, 296 (looks like it keeps changing). Nothing on the .COM site.

What does this 'ranking' actually mean? I'm an unknown, newbie author and there are gazillions of books on amazon right? I'm not deluded into thinking there's been a mad rush for my book, but all the same i'm intrigued.

Thanks for any insights.

It's very mysterious. Trying to work sales out from Amazon rankings is like telling the future from pigeon entrails. They're all relative, so it depends on the time of year, etc, etc.

It should, though, be possible to get the exact number of preorders. I got a spreadsheet today with our preorders on it, updated weekly. They're your 'sales' and as such are reported exactly to your publisher. So ask them?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Hi

Thanks for any insights.

The only thing you can know for sure is that someone (or someones) pre-ordered your book.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
The mind -- it is boggling. I think it's probably too soon to ask my publisher since the book's only been on there for a day or two, tops. Must remember all that stuff I looked up a few months ago about sales reporting and all that jazz.

But it's weird, no?

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated even though i am no wiser than before. Still smiling though, just seeing my book up there for the first time and all the numbers changing!

SK0609

Something witty here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shelleywatters.blogspot.com
On one of my other forums, someone posted the # of sales equivalent. I can't find it for the life of me now. :( If I find it, I'll repost!

It is VERY mysterious, it refreshes hourly, so while you *might* hit the amazon best sellers list last hour, you might not this hour. Which sucks because you might miss hitting the top 100 because you didn't check it at the right time! :(

Good luck with your book!

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I get that there is a mysterious amazon fairy! But if I'm thinking correctly if my book drops from 107k to say, 109k it means that other books are overtaking it in sales, yes? If it goes to 105k then it's selling steadily?

Or perhaps I should stop trying to figure this out. :Shrug:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Your rating at that level will fluctuated just from another books moving around even if its sales stay steady.

But generally even one sale pushes one to 50,000 -- them you drop gradually until you get the next sale.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
My book came out just over a month ago (and I'm pretty sure it's not selling very well). I've been checking the ranking on a regular basis since it came out, and generally what I'll see is a steady descent over a few days (maybe a decrease in ranking of 50,000/day or so - approx), then suddenly it'll jump up to say 100,000, then start sliding back down. I assume that jump means, uhh, one copy was bought. This is on amazon.com, mind you. I recently started looking at amazon.ca sometimes, and the ranking seems more consistent.

Last edited:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Okay, I get that there is a mysterious amazon fairy! But if I'm thinking correctly if my book drops from 107k to say, 109k it means that other books are overtaking it in sales, yes? If it goes to 105k then it's selling steadily?

Or perhaps I should stop trying to figure this out. :Shrug:

I really think it's best to stop trying to figure it out. If other books are overtaking it in sales it might be by 1 copy; it might be that the whole market is up or down, so that you're still selling the same number of copies but your rank is different; it's a crap shoot.

You should have real numbers available to you somehow, even if they are (as I suspect) a month in arrears.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
It's partly about speed of sales as most best seller lists are, so when one person buys your book but then no one buys your book for a few days it drops very rapidly, another sale and it spikes back up. Every single book has a ranking and they go up and down with sales.

Some people have bought your book on pre-order! That's what it means! Otherwise it would be at 4 million or something like that. The lower it is the better.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
On one of my other forums, someone posted the # of sales equivalent.

There is no real X rank = Y sales thing, sadly

If your book sells twenty on one day/hour, and another five sell 100 your rank is one thing. If the next day/hour, you sell twenty and those books sell none, but other books sells some other number....your rank will be different for the same sales.

Its only use is a general ball park guide. And bragging rights if you get in the top ten for your overall (not sub sub) genre :D

I do hear tell of an author who figured out how it works and when his book released he got friends etc to buy a book at exactly the right time so as to affect his ranking best. I have no idea if this is a) true or b) possible. But said author did launch himself into bestseller status (whether it was that or not that did it is open to speculation)

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Crikey! I can see where this could lead to a fixation I can do without. Thanks for the input. I'll take the sensible advice and get my info from my publisher, albeit in arrears.

… and peek at Amazon from time to time! ;)

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Check out www.novelrank.com. It's not accurate (it underestimates, sometimes quite dramatically!) and shouldn't be taken literally, but it's fun and highly addictive! If your book is not on it you can list it yourself.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
On one of my other forums, someone posted the # of sales equivalent. I can't find it for the life of me now. :( If I find it, I'll repost!

There is no fixed relationship between number of sales and Amazon rank, so the post you refer to isn't going to be accurate.

Amazon's rankings compare books to one another. If one book sells a copy it moves up, thereby displacing the books around it which haven't sold anything.

If a book sells a hundred copies it moves further up than a book which has only sold one. But they don't move up a hundred places and one place: they move up relative to the other books which are and are not selling.

There is no accurate way to predict what your sales are by looking at your Amazon ranking. All you know is that if your book has a ranking there it's probably sold a copy or more, and the higher up it goes, the more it's likely to have sold.

Check out www.novelrank.com. It's not accurate (it underestimates, sometimes quite dramatically!) but it's fun and highly addictive!

Novelrank is horribly inaccurate. Have fun playing with it, but please don't rely on it for any information.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I think Amazon introduced novel and author rankings because they felt the level of sanity in the the author community was still too high and they really needed to work on making us all even crazier.

I have a peek now and again, but really that way madness lies. It's easy to get obsessed - with a number whose significance isn't clear and that there's little you can do to change.

Only the actual sales numbers you get when your publisher sends you your royalty statement are solid and useful.

Concentrate on your promo and your writing and don't spend time fretting over that number.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I think Amazon introduced novel and author rankings because they felt the level of sanity in the the author community was still too high and they really needed to work on making us all even crazier.

Concentrate on your promo and your writing and don't spend time fretting over that number.

Okay, so I haven't learned yet how to do multiple quotes and I'm rushing around like a nutter. I've got a blog hop starting on the release date, and hopefully that will do something towards increasing sales. Some people have said they make no difference but I'm willing to try.

Off to check my ranking on Amazon… oops! I mean off to write next 5k in current wii! :)

patrickwong

Author, Computer Guy, Dad
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
My observations - more than 1 ranking

Hi

Thanks for any insights.

I only have 1 book, so this is all I have to go on ... but my kindle sales vs paperback vary greatly....

• Kindle- "Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #23,399 Paid in Kindle Store"
  • Paperback - rank is "#1,913,826 in Books"

You can click on my Amazon links below and scroll down to see where it is relative to that number now.

Kindle
Paperback

What I've seen....
If I normally sell 0-1 books/day, and suddenly sell 2...the rank will jump 200,000-400,000 places

But if I'm already averaging 2 per day, and sell 4 in a day, the rank jumps about 50,000 - 100,000

And so on...the rank jumps get smaller and smaller with each average sale change.

Hope that helps!

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
  • Kindle- "Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #23,399 Paid in Kindle Store"
  • Paperback - rank is "#1,913,826 in Books"

You can click on my Amazon links below and scroll down to see where it is relative to that number now.

Kindle
Paperback

What I've seen....
If I normally sell 0-1 books/day, and suddenly sell 2...the rank will jump 200,000-400,000 places

But if I'm already averaging 2 per day, and sell 4 in a day, the rank jumps about 50,000 - 100,000

And so on...the rank jumps get smaller and smaller with each average sale change.

Hope that helps!

Hmmm, I'll certainly bear that in mind. I haven't checked my page and not intending to unless I'm showing it off to someone, but it'll be interesting to see how much I've deviated from 107k when the time comes. Thanks for sharing! :)

patrickwong

Author, Computer Guy, Dad
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
You're a stronger author than I am....

Hmmm, I'll certainly bear that in mind. I haven't checked my page and not intending to unless I'm showing it off to someone, but it'll be interesting to see how much I've deviated from 107k when the time comes. Thanks for sharing! :)

I'll confess - If I'm having a good sales day - I'll check it hourly!
Refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh-refresh

Best of Luck with your first book!

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
My kids did not get the memo about not looking up my amazon page! Here I am trying to get back into my current wip and the eldest bursts into my room with "mum, you're now #30 thousand 8... garble garble... So, of course I had to check! Holy cow, I'm #30,821 from 107k. Someone up the thread said to pay no notice until you hit #50k and now of course I'm like, time to take notice? What does this mean? Could it be like Patrick said and maybe two or three people have pre-ordered and that's caused it to jump.
Thank the Epicurian gods that we're going out for tea tonight to celebrate my book being up or else I'd not stop staring at it.

Have just decided I don't care what it means, I'm going to close down, do a happy dance and forget my diet tonight, regardless! :partyguy:

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I think Novel rank is going to give you more of a hint about what's going on than looking at the ranking. Novel rank is known for being notoriously inaccurate but I think that is mainly for people selling a LOT of books, or selling very fast. It's known for under-reporting not over-reporting and tends to be more accurate the less you're selling from what I hear. (I'm just going on anecdotal evidence from other writers and not any inside knowledge about novel rank. )

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Yup.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I'm fixed on 19K - LOL

When I came home from our celebratory supper I checked to see if my book was still at 30 odd thousand. It was at 19K. So I know at least one other person pre-ordered, which is nice. My kids have been told not to look and they'll soon forget. As for me, I'm fixing 19k in my head and keeping it there. Not going to look again now until the book releases proper, in June. I don't think I'll be able to resist seeing if there's a spike at that time.

Thanks for the various bits and bobs!