Braggage

Status
Not open for further replies.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Mundo everyone! :D

Congrats Eliza! I looked at TM guidelines when they first appeared and was a bit put off with their demand for TWO different summaries for the submissions. Did you do this?
Ditto. I thought it was too much for a short story. A novella I could understand, but not a short story. But I maybe I'll give it a try.

ETA: TM changed their guidelines! They're no longer asking for all that extra stuff. Woohoo!

Also, table of contents for Unidentified Funny Objects has been posted! You'll recognize some AW names on there :)

http://www.ufopub.com/2012/09/21/unidentified-funny-objects-table-of-contents-and-web-content/
Ooooooh. I wonder which AWers could be in there... :Huh: :D ;)

That's also neat they'll be special stories online. Looking forward to them!

Last edited:

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Eliza! I looked at TM guidelines when they first appeared and was a bit put off with their demand for TWO different summaries for the submissions. Did you do this?

Yup. I thought it over the top too, but I always try to follow editor's guidelines exactly.
Defcon - that's interesting that they have changed their requirements now. Bet that explains the big jump in recent submissions to them on Duotrope. But hey, they're a brand new market and dialing it in as they go.

Brynn

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Eliza! That explains why I hadn't heard of it.

Congrats, Alex, on all your work so far. That's quite an undertaking! I'm looking forward to the first website story. :) And congrats to all the UFO authors on AW!

On my end, I got some more good news. I made my first ever pro sale, to FFO. I'm super psyched about it--can't wait to add it to my signature when it comes out! ;)

(So many exclamation points!)

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Congrats to all of the recent bragganauts!

I'd like to brag that I finally managed to send my cover letter to a market without actually bothering to attach the story. I wondered when I'd get around to doing that. Luckily, I realized what I'd done as soon as I hit send, which hopefully has spared me the embarrassment of receiving a "Hey, where's the story?" response.

:Shrug:

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Congrats to all of the recent bragganauts!

I'd like to brag that I finally managed to send my cover letter to a market without actually bothering to attach the story. I wondered when I'd get around to doing that. Luckily, I realized what I'd done as soon as I hit send, which hopefully has spared me the embarrassment of receiving a "Hey, where's the story?" response.

:Shrug:

Google saves me from that more often than I care to admit.

If you say "Attached is" and then don't attach a file, it will prompt you. I love it. I only wish my work email did the same.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Google saves me from that more often than I care to admit.

If you say "Attached is" and then don't attach a file, it will prompt you. I love it. I only wish my work email did the same.

Hmm. I use gmail, and I had no idea it did that. I'll have to change the wording of my cover letter so it catches that in the future. Thanks!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Eliza! That explains why I hadn't heard of it.

Congrats, Alex, on all your work so far. That's quite an undertaking! I'm looking forward to the first website story. :) And congrats to all the UFO authors on AW!

On my end, I got some more good news. I made my first ever pro sale, to FFO. I'm super psyched about it--can't wait to add it to my signature when it comes out! ;)

Thank you, and congratulations on your FFO sale, that's a very very solid market! Also, you now qualify for Associate membership in SFWA. 2 more sales to full membership!

Lizardmaker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Congrats, Brynn! (I'm waiting to hear from FFO myself, so now I'm hoping for some sort of success-by-association mojo!)

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score

Congratulations Brynn! Selling to them is quite the coup!
(Geez, it makes me use exclamation points too!)

Lizardmaker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
My turn for braggage! The fiction editor of Kaleidoscope Magazine called me. Called. As in on the phone! She uses only a couple of stories per year, and she chose mine, "Opening the Door". It's just shy of a pro-level sale, and it's my first appearance in a nationally-distributed print zine. Yay!

Brynn

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Lizardmaker. What an exciting phone call! :D

(And thanks so much to everyone who celebrated with me here!)

W.L. Marks

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Brynn and Lizardmaker (and others)! I'd be so excited to get a phone call.

A bit of braggage of my own finally -- I sold a poem to Dreams & Nightmares.

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
My turn for braggage! The fiction editor of Kaleidoscope Magazine called me. Called. As in on the phone! She uses only a couple of stories per year, and she chose mine, "Opening the Door". It's just shy of a pro-level sale, and it's my first appearance in a nationally-distributed print zine. Yay!

W00T! A big congratulations!

Congrats also, WL Marks!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Congrats, Anne!

I'd probably feel a little weird if an editor called me instead of e-mailing, but if it was to deliver good news, then why not :)

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Brynn, for FFO, and W.L. Marks! And Lizardmaker, for Kaleidoscope - I'd love to get a phone call like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.