Braggage

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Found out I have been accepted into another MFA program. This one is FULLY FUNDED!!! Should be a no-brainer, but I am having a hard time choosing a school.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

Congrats to anyone I missed over the last few days on my vacation. My story 'Roses' is now available in the latest L@mplight. One of my personal faves of the stuff I've written. Very much a "horror" story, in that it is horrible.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Will be reading that soon, Simon. Congrats.

Just received a 21-day acceptance from the Diabolic Tales III anthology for "Have a Blessed Day." 3c/word.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Brilliant, O'Dandelo. Congratulations!

And congrats Niccolo on your first sale - such a great feeling - may there be many more! And congrats on Miscellanea, Brynn. It's such a fun concept. I'll be sure to read your piece. :)

And to gettingby - wow, you are on a roll. All the best with your decision; hope it's not too agonising.

And Project Deadlight - that's such a great sale. I think I'll have to get a copy and read it.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. The decision is killing me and needs to be made by friday!!! I just don't see how I can turn down a free ride. I wish money wasn't an issue.

And Congratulations to everyone else. I like hanging out on this thread. All good news!!!

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
gettingby- congrats! And don't let them pressure you. If they are part of the council of grad schools (which they SHOULD BE) you don't have to formally accept or reject until sometime in April. Law dude, they like to pressure and say stuff about the money, but it's bullocks and all that.

And mega congrats to all the acceptances on here! Woot! These are so awesome to read.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Simon, O'Dandelo and gettingby (and I wouldn't turn down a free ride either - what a great offer to get!).

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
gettingby- congrats! And don't let them pressure you. If they are part of the council of grad schools (which they SHOULD BE) you don't have to formally accept or reject until sometime in April. Law dude, they like to pressure and say stuff about the money, but it's bullocks and all that.

Wow. I did not know this. The one school that I got into partially funded said I had to let them know and give a deposit by friday. I think I am going to go with the school that is fully funded anyway. The hardest part for me is choosing between fiction and nonfiction. The fiction program is the one I have the free ride to.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
My braggage for today: I received an 18-day acceptance from Plasma Frequency Magazine, for my slightly experimental SF/horror story, 'The Kyne Extraction'.

I'm delighted with this - I'm very fond of this story and the aliens who inhabit it.

Lizardmaker

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Found out I have been accepted into another MFA program. This one is FULLY FUNDED!!! Should be a no-brainer, but I am having a hard time choosing a school.

Congrats on the opportunity, gettingby, and good luck with this big choice!

Good for you, fihr! Look forward to reading "The Kyne Extraction."

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Fiona! Nice sale. I really like PF's magazine and they were very professional to work with.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lois Tilton, the toughest critic in all of SF/F didn't hate my latest story :)

“Requiem for a Druid” by Alex Shvartsman

Conrad the wizard is sort of a fraud, but he’s so far been clever enough to muddle through without being found out. Now a real estate magnate has requisitioned his services to deal with the problems afflicting his current construction project.
Signs of arcane interference were everywhere. Tree trunks had runes carved into their bark, enchantments spun like shimmering spider webs hung from the tree branches, and stones covered with glyphs were spread along the sandy beach. An ancient magic was at work, intent on disrupting the construction. It was effective and considerably unpleasant, but never lethal.
It seems that the construction is set to bulldoze a grove sacred to a group of druids, which places Conrad in the uncomfortable middle of a magical war.
Fantasy humor with a sympathetic protagonist. This reminds me a bit of some of editor Resnick’s own series. There’s a rather shaggy reference to a contemporary figure.

CuriousMonkey

Registered
Reaction score
Cover of Darkness - "Denizens of the Dark" April 2013

Sold my first short story. Goes to the "Denizens of the Dark" anthology by Cover of Darkness. :hooray:

Just thought I'd share.

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Wow wow wow! So much braggage, (in) so little time! Congrats to everyone!!

Gettingby, I'm excited for you. I remember the agony I went through in choosing my program. Assuming you respect the program/faculty (why would you have applied if you didn't?), the fully funded one sounds like the way to go. Good luck!!

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Curious Monkey! Savor that sweet feeling.

Thanks for pointing that out, Alex. Under the Galaxy's Edge review was her review of Crowded Magazine #1, which she didn't seem to like very much, calling most of the stories unoriginal. She didn't say much about my story, though. Just gave a summary blurb, a sample from the story, then wrote "Typical YA horror. A Cautionary Tale." I guess that's indifference.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Congrats, Curious Monkey! Savor that sweet feeling.

Thanks for pointing that out, Alex. Under the Galaxy's Edge review was her review of Crowded Magazine #1, which she didn't seem to like very much, calling most of the stories unoriginal. She didn't say much about my story, though. Just gave a summary blurb, a sample from the story, then wrote "Typical YA horror. A Cautionary Tale." I guess that's indifference.

Yeah, my story got 'Also not original, but there are clever bits,' so boo-yah, I'm going to count that as a ringing endorsement ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.