UK meet thread [Sat 27 April 2013, London]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Oh dear. Is it a suitable environment for a lady teetotaller? Provided I bring crisps, of course.

Crisps? You'd dangle crisps in front of a potato-allergic? That's plain cruel.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
While I'm unlikely to attend (given my newness to AW), would just like to put in my two pence about MK; that being, it is the grimmest place I have ever had the misfortune to visit, and I advice anyone who wants to keep their soul in tact to keep away :p

Sorry Milton Keynes, but I've never had a good experience with you.
Everyone's always so hard on poor old MK. Ever been to Slough?
MK's nice enough - plenty of green (you can stand in the town centre and see sheep grazing - and not miles away in the distance either). Nice pubs, once you get out of the centre.
Also, I live there! :D

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I thought it was nice on my one visit. Mind you, it was in the middle of summer and we were at a wedding in a very green area. And I was shit faced.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
Hiya all :)

Super last minute but let's be spontaneous. I'll be at the Pret a Manger on York Road, next to King's Cross station from 5pm, writing. If you're in London and can make it, I'd love to have fellow writers there for a write-along :D I'm wearing a white shirt and a green cardigan. And I'll be on my iPad!

ETA: I'd rather not go to Milton Keynes. A previous flatmate grew up there and he made my life a hell for over a year. He's back there now and I'm terrified of running into him :p

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Hiya all :)

Super last minute but let's be spontaneous. I'll be at the Pret a Manger on York Road, next to King's Cross station from 5pm, writing. If you're in London and can make it, I'd love to have fellow writers there for a write-along :D I'm wearing a white shirt and a green cardigan. And I'll be on my iPad!

ETA: I'd rather not go to Milton Keynes. A previous flatmate grew up there and he made my life a hell for over a year. He's back there now and I'm terrified of running into him :p
I actually would have been passing through not far from there - until some clumsy bugger crashed his train, and now I have to find another way to get to Reading.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I actually would have been passing through not far from there - until some clumsy bugger crashed his train, and now I have to find another way to get to Reading.

From what I've heard, trains in our part of the country are completely ballsed up today.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone's always so hard on poor old MK. Ever been to Slough?

Staines is worse, by a large margin.

At least you're not all disparaging London for a change :D

Thump - I'd definitely come down and say Hi but I'm slaving in the path lab all weekend!

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
God, what a dump. :tongue

You've been to my little corner of London then? :D

Shame you can't make it but hey, if you're ever in the area of King's X or Euston and want to talk writing or do some writing, message me. I'm usually available fro half 4-5 and I love hanging out with writers.

:)

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
You've been to my little corner of London then? :D

Shame you can't make it but hey, if you're ever in the area of King's X or Euston and want to talk writing or do some writing, message me. I'm usually available fro half 4-5 and I love hanging out with writers.

:)

I may take you up on that if I ever get a weekend free :D

Sam K.

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Jimmy B, I think it mostly comes from once being stuck at the train station there for four hours on a bank holiday Monday. I thought I'd never escape.

Also, was just wondering if any of you were going to be at the Guardian Open Weekend? Ya'll seem like the type to attend such things.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
London? I've heard folk be rum down that way.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I think there may have been a rumour that there could be a meet in Peterborough. Though I am not sure if a date was agreed on.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I'm still up for something although TBH my finances are up for a battering over the next few months so I can't get too crazy.

bershka

Is there anyone who lives in London who'd be interested in having a writers' gathering middle of next month?

I'll be there for a few days.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
What days?

Cos there's a spiffing fantasy event at Blackwell's on the 17th (and I shall be there, work shifts permitting) with Joe Abercrombie and everything!

Info

you ever find your way to the land of the northern tribes (Scotland) I'd be glad to meet y'all.
I shall be in sunny Scotland in a fortnight (and it WILL be sunny or I'm complaining to the management). Lock up your sons now.

Last edited:

bershka

What days?

Cos there's a spiffing fantasy event at Blackwell's on the 17th (and I shall be there, work shifts permitting) with Joe Abercrombie and everything!

Info

Wow, good timing! I'll be in London. It'd be lovely if we meet each other there xD

I also noticed that there is a Young Adult fiction event the following day.

Is there anyone else going?

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I could be in London . . . what date are you thinking of?
'twould be good to see you again IRU and to meet with any other AWers.

Status
Not open for further replies.