Status
Not open for further replies.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I'll check how long it would take me to get to Oxford and the cost. Can't see it being too much.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I'll check how long it would take me to get to Oxford and the cost. Can't see it being too much.

Hmm. I was wrong on both counts. I'd have to trek to Brum and change there which seems a bit mad. Plus it's more cash than I thought. I'll see what I can do if it does turn out to be Oxford.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Oxford would be much easier for me too.

It is not a bad drive. Only if you are driving check out the park and rides. Parking in Oxford is a pain and expensive.

Norwich looks like a bit of a pain to get to - a long way and no motorways between here and there.

I am not going to mention the roundabouts . . .

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
It is not a bad drive. Only if you are driving check out the park and rides. Parking in Oxford is a pain and expensive.
I'd probably get the bus actually so I can have a few beers. :)

I am not going to mention the roundabouts . . .
Don't start that again! :tongue

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
I'd probably get the bus actually so I can have a few beers. :)

Don't start that again! :tongue

;) I'll try not to!

I've a friend who lives near Oxford so may stay with her for a few days . . .

feath

Is the goldfish koi?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm at whitechapel, just outside central london. I'm disabled, but got a scooter - which means I'm kind of limited in my travel, but at least I can get out of the house! So - if there are any intrepid writers in the whitechapel area who'd like to meet up, at say The Blind Beggar, give me a poke!

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
'allo feath! I feel sure that at some point there will be another London meet. I used to teach just down the road from Whitechapel. Great area! Still visit from time to time as I have a friend at Stepney Green.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Good lord. Would the two of you quit going round and round about that? ;)

Oxford is good for me.

Maybe . . . perhaps . . . is you getting giddy? Or is the drink?

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Ribs of Beef? Yeah, sounds like it would have a lot of veggie dishes. Not! lol

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Oxford's pretty bad for me, as you can't there by train without massive diversions through London or Brum. Nodge obviously would be fine, but if not London or, er, Nuneaton or Peterborough. Or Cambridge, which no-one seems to want.

Ribs of Beef? Yeah, sounds like it would have a lot of veggie dishes. Not! lol

Vegetarian cuisine and Norfolk pubs don't really mix. Mind you, neither does 'cuisine that doesn't have potato', which means I don't eat in pubs. Scampi Fries excepted.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
There are meat free items on the bar menu of the Ribs of Beef.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Nope! A wide choice of sandwiches made even wider because they will toast them for you. You have to like cheese though! Veggie sausage platter with beans and chips, and a nut and vegetable roast served with tomato basil sauce, jacket or wedges and salad. They also serve a veggie breakfast. Not a hint of soggy cabbage. Inventive menu!

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Nope! A wide choice of sandwiches made even wider because they will toast them for you. You have to like cheese though! Veggie sausage platter with beans and chips, and a nut and vegetable roast served with tomato basil sauce, jacket or wedges and salad. They also serve a veggie breakfast. Not a hint of soggy cabbage. Inventive menu!

I'm reluctant even to eat non-potato meals in pubs. You never know what's going to turn up on your plate 'Oh, a bag of Cheese and Onion crisps poured all over my salmon baguette. How wonderful! Now perhaps you could just punch me in the abdomen? I like to maximise my stomach discomfort where at all possible'

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Cambridge is easy for me to get to. Oxford is looking like a bit of a pain in the bum, to be honest. I thought it would be a straight trip, but it's definitely through Brum.

ETA: I might be able to get it from London. Am checking.

ETA2: Yep, I could get it from London, but I'm looking at over a ton which, at the moment, isn't happening.

Last edited:

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge is easy for me to get to. Oxford is looking like a bit of a pain in the bum, to be honest. I thought it would be a straight trip, but it's definitely through Brum.

ETA: I might be able to get it from London. Am checking.

ETA2: Yep, I could get it from London, but I'm looking at over a ton which, at the moment, isn't happening.

Oxford is a 'mare. It's on a squiddly branch line from London that separates from the Bristol line somewhere near Didcot.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
I am biased towards London meets, as that's where I am based... ;)

However, Oxford is quick and cheap to get to from London, so that gets my second preference vote. I often go to the crime & mystery conference at St Hilda's. It's a lovely town.

Shara

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
I am biased towards London meets, as that's where I am based... ;)

However, Oxford is quick and cheap to get to from London, so that gets my second preference vote. I often go to the crime & mystery conference at St Hilda's. It's a lovely town.

Shara

Cambridge is also easy to get to from London. In fact most places are easy to get to from London. It can be the cost and length of journey that is a bugger.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge is definitely a long haul for me. Too far east.

Status
Not open for further replies.