Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Play this game.

No, for serious, PLAY this game.

It's a massive, preposterously well written throwback to Baulder's Gate 2 and Planescape Torment. It has all the good parts of those games - expressive, well written conversation trees, pitch perfect fantasy adventure, sprawling worlds to explore and combat that rewards innovative tactics and clever thinking. But it also has none of the bad: There's no annoying pixel hunting, inventory management is a breeze, and the game clearly and cleverly shows you how ALL the mechanics work through tool tips and concise tutorials.

Add to that a charming world that manages to be interesting without abandoning the slightly lighter tone of older isometric games (it's not the Witcher, that's for damn sure) and a wide assortment of awesome side characters - my current favorite is a tie between the affable Kana, a 7 foot tall archaeologist who can fus-rah-doh enemies into submission and the wry and sarcastic Edre, who remains faithful to his god...despite said god having exploded recently.

Oh, and...it is one of the few things I've seen that has managed to write female characters from matriarchal societies without it seeming stilted or forced.

Also, character choice and player agency is crazy high. I've run into multiple situations where I've been able to roleplay my character - a glowing blue elf-moon goddess with a rapier (and rapier wit) and a benevolent streak that some might call saintly.

Character classes are also fantastically diverse. You got your standard fighters, wizards, rogues, priests. But you also have Ciphers - psychics that use the damage they cause enemies as a way to power debilitating effects, Chanters - hardcore bards who continually belt out war songs and can "shout" magic at enemies.

And even familiar classes are given awesome twists: Paladins belong to specific orders that follow specific ways of behavior - one, for example, follows the Cruel and Stoic behavior patterns (believing that the best way to stop a war is to have the enemy surrender when you show up out of sheer terror) while another is focused on cleverness and rationality.

I'm 30+ hours in and I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THE MAIN PLOT IS.

So...yes.

Buy this fucking game. Seriously.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, like most D&D style games, spells that deal direct damage are simply not worth it - the damage doesn't match with what a gun or sword can do because you can KEEP USING a gun or sword, while magic is a per rest thing.

What DOES work are spells that debuff enemies or buff your warriors. If you can lock down, poison, frighten, confuse and paralyze your enemies, then your warrior characters can wreck face - while if you had no spellcasters, any enemies that HAD spellcasters (especially support spellcasters) would ruin your day.

My current tactics are primarily focused on controlling the battlefield by using the cipher's RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME paralyzation ability comboed with lots of gunfire from my back ranks.

Since, basically, the way to hits are rolled is thus: Your accuracy subtracted from their defense, added to 1d100. Anything that is Negative to 20 is a miss, 20 to 50 is a graze, 51-80 is a hit, 81+ is a crit. Paralyzing the enemy, though, reduces their defenses by a LOT (so much so that some enemies hit negative defense), which means that not only are they easier to hit...they're easier to crit.

And guns do a loooooooot of damage.

So, critting guns cause enemies (especially squishy priests) to explode into fountains of gore.

But there are some damage spells that are well worth it - their ersatz flaming palms spell is baller against enemies that are weak against fire, for example (it saves a HUGE amount of hassle in an early dungeon where the enemies are all fucking ghosts.)

Overall, I think the combat is astoundingly well balanced!

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Guns! Wow, interesting! Okay, this definitely needs a look. :D And thanks for the tips on spellcasting. That could be incredibly useful.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
They're muskets!

Good against wizards!

Remember Tamora Pierce's advice: When in doubt, SHOOT THE WIZARD!

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
This and Divinity are games I need to play . . . after I finally get the time to knock out Planescape: Torment
(THERE IS NEVER ANY TIME)

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I've been playing this for the last few days. I quite like it. The worldbuilding is extremely solid. The MC's storyline is good as are the stories of the companions. I'm playing a Paladin which involves interesting aspects of the reputation system.

My only annoyance is with the huge dungeon in the citadel. Basically, you need to do a few levels then go off and do other stuff before you're powerful enough to do a few more levels etc.

There's also an interesting and fun quirk based on your character's ability to read the souls of some NPCs. All through the gameworld are NPCs who have no game effects, but who have about a page of backstory each. If you want to, you can look into their souls and read these. These characters and their stories were provided by some of the kickstarter supporters who funded the game. I think that's a great incentive for the kind of people who would crowd-fund an RPG. And it works brilliantly to highlight the MC's abilities.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I just finished playing this. I think it's an excellent game for a number of reasons. I'll try to keep this post low on spoilers, but some will seep through.

The best part of this game is the integration of good writing with player and character decisions. Each choice you make influences some of what is going to happen, and all of them influence your reputation and the summary of future events that shows up after you've finished.

The world is well thought out and the world building is strongly tied into the adventure itself. Magic, gods, and history provide motivations for NPCs, and the more you understand the world the more you understand people's actions.

Spoiler: Some of the choices you end up making concern your relationships with a couple of characters in one of your past lives. These choices allow you to decide why certain things are happening to you and what path your character is on. However, elements of this main plot are linear. Certain things will happen no matter what you do, but how you approach them will affect how the game feels and plays to you.

Your companions all have interesting lives and attitudes which you get to influence by your choices and your suggestions to them for the choices they make. Some of them are more combat useful than others and some of them (Durance and The Weeping Mother for example) have very deep histories.

On to game play.
First the munchkin factor: Maximum character level is 12, but gameplay takes a long time, so do not expect to go up levels fast.
Most experience comes from quests. Each quest has stages and you get some XP for completing a stage and more for finishing the quest overall. Monster killing yields comparatively little experience.

Some classes are bloody useless: Paladins are not terribly helpful. Rangers (a class I usually like) are not much good here. Archery is no good at all. If you use missile weapons guns are the way to go. Wizards are limited by the grimoire rules and having to learn their spells. Priests and Ciphers are useful. Chanters are okay. I played this game through with a Druid and I have to say, they are excellent. They have long term damaging spells and the spiritshift power is quite effective.

I'm going to play it through again seeing if I can find a melee character class worth playing. I'll look at Barbarian, Monk, and Rogue, and pick between them.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still only a little way into this (like... I'm not sure I've even reached the end of Act 1?) because life got busy and I haven't had a chance to get back to it yet. Doesn't help that another DECISION is coming up :tongue

But I love Eder. I hate Durance. Sagani seems useless combat wise.

My sister told Aloth to f off when she first met him. I didn't particularly like him in that interaction, but I need to collect everyone, so... I'm fairly exasperated with my character's inability to question him about his switching personality problems, but I presume she'll finally come to her senses later (I don't mind if he refuses to answer - I just don't even have the option to ask!).

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Opportunitues to talk to the NPCs about their personal quests pop up as you go along. Usually they initiate them. Also sometimes a word balloon icon will appear on their picture in the roster indicating that they have something to say.

I wish Sagani weren't useless since she's an interesting and likable character.

Durance is annoying, but his story is deep and he's useful in combat especially at high levels.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I know how the dialogue with the NPCs works. I imagine I'll get the opportunity eventually... maybe two months after I've been listening to Aloth have conversations with himself, most noticeably right after we killed someone with problems in that area, and I just... ignored it. Basically I'm complaining that the game isn't giving me the option when it makes sense to ask.

Durance is very useful. Doesn't mean I like the fact that he thinks me evil, and he's only coming along to see which way I'm evil so he knows which way he wants to hurt me the most xD

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I'm waiting for the Steam summer sale and hoping that it'll be at a discount. Been eyeing it for a few weeks now.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
So, I grabbed this on the last day. It was $30 well-spent. This game is friggin huge, and the writing impresses right off the bat.

I have a complaint though. I love playing wizards, but mine seems rather... meh. It feels like I've regressed back to 2nd edition DND here. I looked up a few guides, and they almost universally indicate the wizard is very underpowered. Have to say, it kind of feels that way here. Having to rest to get my interesting spells back is on the lame side.

So, what I usually like about wizards are blasting large numbers of bad guys with cruel, brutal damage. It sounds like they CAN do this, but only at 'later levels'. I'm curious when those later levels might be. I'm not finding many indicators.

I'm seeing that Ciphers and Chanters are pretty much incredible though, assuming you remember to use all your abilities. Druids appear to be amazing (confirmed above by RichardGarfinkle).

Has this been other folks' experience?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
There is one spell that wizards can do that causes confusion.

Things that confuse, stun, paralyze, or generally debuff people are better than things that cause straight damage.

Of course, this is true in every form of D&D ever made - because spells are a finite resource, so you damn well better get the most bang for your buck, which invariably means making it so that your hit things with other things people hit more often, more better, and more gooder.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
So buffs and debuffs are very important here? Hmm. Okay, good to know. :)

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
I started up a Cipher, and this is feeling more wizard-y, you know? I mean, I'm using a bow, but building up power to unleash for a variety of attacks seems like a better mechanic than the memorization thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.