WorldCon Site Selection for 2017

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect the moderators will be very cranky if any Hugo Award related stuff shows up in this thread. Just sayin'.

And now for something completely different!

If you have an Attending, Military, Young Adult, or Supporting membership to Sasquan, the 2015 World Science Fiction Convention, you have voting privileges in Site Selection for the 2017 WorldCon.

I encourage you to vote in site selection if you can. It gets you a supporting membership in the 2017 WorldCon and you get a say in where the con ends up in two years.

Site Selection voting must take place with a paper ballot. If you are going to be at the con in person, you can vote on site.

If you will not be at Sasquan, here is how to vote for Site Selection.

At this time, you must print out the paper ballot (link at that site) and mail it with a check or money order to Sasquan. There will be an on-line payment system in a few weeks, they say.

Ballots not turned in at Sasquan must be received by the mail-in deadline of August 10, 2015.

The cost to vote is $40 USD. This fee will give you a supporting membership in the 2017 WorldCon, whichever bid wins. That supporting membership gives you nomination privileges for the Hugo Awards for the 2016, 2017 and 2018 WorldCon, voting privileges for the Hugo Awards for the 2017 WorldCon and the privilege to vote to select the site of the 2019 WorldCon (for an additional fee). You'll also get all the 2017 con publications.

If you end up wanting an Attending membership to the 2017 WorldCon, voting in site selection and paying the upgrade fee is the cheapest the Attending membership will ever be.

Site voting is by Instant Runoff Voting, just like Hugo voting. Rank your first choice "1", your second choice "2", etc. If you don't care who wins, you can vote "No Preference" (or for Helsinki! Yes, I am partisan!!). If you don't like any of the four choices, you can write in a candidate or vote "None of the Above". It's all on the ballot.

The choices for 2017 are:
Helsinki
Washington, DC
Montreal
Nippon 2017 (Shizuoka, Japan)
No Preference
None of the Above

The Helsinki people have put together a Multilingual Voting Guide.

Note that I am not affiliated with Sasquan in any way, though I will be volunteering at the con. I do not speak for them. If you have questions, see their web site.

I am not affiliated with the Helsinki in 2017 bid either, other than being a pre-supporter and attending some of their bid parties.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I spent a lot of time with the Fins at World Fantasy. Great group of folks and they're getting a lot of support from the city of Helsinki.

Heck, I even have the t-shirt, so I'll be voting for Helsinki. Even though DC is like 4 hours away.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
It's far more likely that I could afford DC than Helsinki. That said, I'd rather *go* to Helsinki. So I'm gonna vote optimistically. :)

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Filigree, Kansas City is next year and it's already selected (Supporting Membership = $50). It's not on the ballot this year, where we're choosing the 2017 WorldCon city.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I think Filigree meant unsure about attending. I'm feeling exactly the same way about it, fwiw.

Last edited:

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Ah! Yes, I can totally understand that.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
KC is not that far from Phoenix (where I am already surrounded by several of the most conservative cities in the US.) I could probably manage the finances to attend next year. I just don't know that I'd want to, even in the best case scenario of having a fantasy novel sell to a Big Five imprint this year. Cuz, Missouri. (My sincerest apologies to Missouri-based fans; you're made of sterner stuff than I am.)

I have a moral quandary with such questions. On the one side, I'd like to go and support the local people who make such gatherings possible. They live, work, and play in that environment, and it can't be easy. On the other, my hotel, car-rental, food, and sales taxes are going to help fund people I really do not like.

Every venue has good points and bad points. I try to logically balance them before I commit to attendance and all its associated costs. For me, any major convention not in the Phoenix area is going to run between $2K and $4K. That's a lot for a week's vacation, even if it can be a working one that might help my career.