you want your next plot?

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
This year, Matheryn Novaratpong became the youngest person to be cryogenically frozen and preserved for future revival.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-girl-who-would-live-forever

Scares me. Because in high school this was science fiction. Who knows if she'll ever wake up. But if she does, you've got your next novel. Even comes complete with title.

"The Girl Who Would Live Forever"

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
As far as I know, there's still no way to offset the cellular damage from ice crystal formation in a large organism. Cells, even early embryos (and small organisms like fish fry, insects, and frogs) can be frozen quickly enough, or infused with antifreeze compounds that allow them to be chilled down and go dormant, to prevent ice crystal formation. Some even do this as a natural adaptation that allows them to overwinter in harsh environments (glycerol is one such compound). But with humans? No. That poor gal is going to have massive tissue damage, so unless they have a way of repairing that in the future, then I'd say her chances of being revived are practically nil. Cryogenics services are a scam, preying on desperate people (especially because you can't legally infuse someone with chemicals, then freeze them and their severed head, until they're already dead).

Of course, that's the stuff of SF, so that premise would indeed be an interesting YA SF story.

Makes me think of that Niven novel, A World Out Of Time.

Last edited:

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Yup. There is something strange in the article. The girl's body was packed in ice for transport. Frozen with no special techniques for preserving shattered cells. Doesn't matter how special the final preservation technique is if ordinary, inferior techniques were used for transport.

It does sound more like an emotional thing. On the other hand, the parents were pretty educated, they should have looked into this.

Maybe the story is in the emotions, not the technology.

As far as I know, there's still no way to offset the cellular damage from ice crystal formation in a large organism. Cells, even early embryos (and small organisms like fish fry, insects, and frogs) can be frozen quickly enough, or infused with antifreeze compounds that allow them to be chilled down and go dormant, to prevent ice crystal formation. Some even do this as a natural adaptation that allows them to overwinter in harsh environments (glycerol is one such compound). But with humans? No. That poor gal is going to have massive tissue damage, so unless they have a way of repairing that in the future, then I'd say her chances of being revived are practically nil. Cryogenics services are a scam, preying on desperate people (especially because you can't legally infuse someone with chemicals, then freeze them and their severed head, until they're already dead).

Of course, that's the stuff of SF, so that premise would indeed be an interesting YA SF story.

Makes me think of that Niven novel, A World Out Of Time.

growingupblessings

Drinking lots of coffee
Registered
Reaction score
This story left me deeply disturbed.

SF generally requires a lot of me though.

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe the story is in the emotions, not the technology.

I dare posit that the story is always in the emotions. A compelling story, anyway.

That link is a whole world of fishy nope from a scientific POV. Poor girl. Poor family.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Dry ice, not just ice. Which meant she was transported at -79C. That's significantly colder than freezing temperature. And, although they transported her whole body, they only cryo-preserved what's left of her brain. It's still a stretch to think they will ever revive her, though.