Anyone ever set up a fantasy writing workspace?

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
Something that I decided to do for fun while writing my medieval fantasy stories was to create a virtual tavern. I added an old parchment background image to OpenOffice Writer and installed an "Olde English" font to type my stories in. I've downloaded videos of fan-made medieval tavern music and background ambiance from YouTube, and I play them in various combinations through two or three players. I find it inspiring. It puts me in the right mood.

I was wondering if anyone else has done anything similar.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever gone quite that far, but I do listen to fantasy-inspired power metal while writing my epic fantasies. It especially helps when I get into the battle scenes. It gets me into the mood.

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
Sure. For me it is with objects, not so much virtual. Leather bound volumes and tomes that are really just fancy notebooks, quill pens, hefty mugs or goblets. :)

I don't suppose you would be wearing corsets or circlets? :D

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I find the barrel of ale ultimately counterproductive.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I don't think I've ever gone quite that far, but I do listen to fantasy-inspired power metal while writing my epic fantasies. It especially helps when I get into the battle scenes. It gets me into the mood.

Could I get a few band names? Sounds great. Please?

Also, I just have playlists to set my current mood. Nothing else.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Dragon Lies Bleeding is a great track for an imagined cavalry charge

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Something that I decided to do for fun while writing my medieval fantasy stories was to create a virtual tavern. I added an old parchment background image to OpenOffice Writer and installed an "Olde English" font to type my stories in. I've downloaded videos of fan-made medieval tavern music and background ambiance from YouTube, and I play them in various combinations through two or three players. I find it inspiring. It puts me in the right mood.

I was wondering if anyone else has done anything similar.

I'm writing about 18th century France much of the time so the music is from that era, but I have Don Quixote on my desk and Sterne's Sentimental Journey somewhere near by.

I also have some Auric from Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast and a tendency to say "La Belle, je suis la port a votre chamber" every 5 minutes.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Sonata Arctica, Hammerfall, Nightwish

All good bands. I'll add Blind Guardian to the list. Their style's a bit different, but they are probably the most heavily fantasy-inspired band out there. They've had countless songs influenced by fantasy books (ASoIaF, Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings, and many others). They did an entire concept album of the Silmarillion.

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elldimensional.wordpress.com
All I need is a comfy chair to sit in, some Werthers or a hot drink, and lately, silence does the trick for me to get to writing. The program I use to write, Focuswriter, lets me pick whatever background image I want. But most of the time, I use a dark background with light text...reminds me of the DOS days. I know, I'm a bore.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Many RPG video games have amazingly beautiful soundtracks and environmental music. Here are a few:

WoW - Ashenvale (More ambiance)
WoW - Eversong Woods (Ambiance)
Wow - Lich King (More emotional/epic)
WoW - Warlods of Drawnor (Battle)

Other RPGs as well. Look up "best RPG music" and you'll find a lot. Different types, tones, emotions.

Or, you could just jam old-style with Smooth McGroove and his acapella video game tunes of the 90's and beyond. :)

Zelda/Link

:)

Last edited:

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
Gaming wise I go by my husband. He loves Crusade Kings and they have several different expansions for different eras and soundtracks available for each. Nice, epic ye olde sounds. Also, I think someone else mentioned, the Skyrim music is great, too. :D

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Many RPG video games have amazingly beautiful soundtracks and environmental music.:)

Now I'm thinking back to the soundtrack of the classic Super Nintendo RPG Chrono Trigger. A lot of those songs still go through my head when I'm dreaming up plots.