How well do you know your main character? the SF/F edition

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
What does your MC think about death? Are they scared of it? Do they accept it?

Morgan's not scared of it, per se, especially not in regards to herself as she's... nearly impossible to kill (she has tried electrocution and being hit by a bus, neither stuck) being a Healer, and normally respects it as a part of life. She is, however, terrified of Death coming after someone she cares about and has three life-saving redundancies in place on them just in case, one of which is very likely to be her.

Oh no! Something just swallowed your MC whole! What is it, and what do they do?

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no! Something just swallowed your MC whole! What is it, and what do they do?
It was a giant creme puff, and they ate it from the inside out.

In the same vein:

Your MC is offered the opportunity to go skinny dipping in a gigantic tub of their favorite soup - comfortably warm - surrounded by hawtt members of the sex they're inherently attracted to. Does your MC take this opportunity, or pass it by? Why?

Also, what kind of soup was it? Kos in my head I keep envisioning, like, cream of mushroom or chunky chicken noodle soup...

Last edited:

Religion0

Registered
Reaction score
It was a giant creme puff, and they ate it from the inside out.

In the same vein:

Your MC is offered the opportunity to go skinny dipping in a gigantic tub of their favorite soup - comfortably warm - surrounded by hawtt members of the sex they're inherently attracted to. Does your MC take this opportunity, or pass it by? Why?

Also, what kind of soup was it? Kos in my head I keep envisioning, like, cream of mushroom or chunky chicken noodle soup...

Well... that's certainly something to be eaten by... I'd like to be eaten by a giant creme puff now you've mentioned it.

She'd pass it by, she's not really interested in being covered in soup, she's not that great a swimmer, and she hasn't really started on the whole sexual/romantic attraction trip yet, so it'd just be really awkward and weird. And possibly result in an orgy she's left out of, which would really ruin the soup.
Potato-leek soup with bacon liberally drizzled on top.

Would your MC ever "Sing the song of their people"? What is it?

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
W

Would your MC ever "Sing the song of their people"? What is it?

haha, I like that one.

MC#1 would need to get pretty drunk before singing anything. He has the voice of a thousand angels in a blender, and knows it. When he does get singing though, he tends to sing religious hymns of his people. This throws others off as his religious status get him treated like an Antichrist and he's considered a nay-thiest.

MC#2 He sometimes sings songs of his people. He sings fairly well and remembers songs that were never written and have been long forgotten. Mostly he sings his societies equivalent to Christmas Carols.

Your MC is presented a button and told that if they push it, all their enemies, everyone who holds them ill will and everyone they are angry at will all die, as will your MC. Do they push the button?

Last edited:

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
No, having those people die wouldn't be worth his life. Not even close. He would however, seek all of these people out and poison their drinks, one at a time.

Has your character done drugs? Have they ever drank in excess? What were the circumstances?

Moriar

Registered
Reaction score
No, having those people die wouldn't be worth his life. Not even close. He would however, seek all of these people out and poison their drinks, one at a time.

Has your character done drugs? Have they ever drank in excess? What were the circumstances?

Oh, let me see. Writing fantasy, by the way.
MC1 has drank in excess a few times. Mostly during the war, and then after. I'm wondering now if he still feels the urge to get wasted every now and then, when things get bad and magic gets too close.
MC2 has done various drugs, none to excess. But she likes to experiment, for sure. Plus some are recognised as traditional in her religion.

Now, my question:
What was your character's favorite game when they were 5 years old?

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now, my question:
What was your character's favorite game when they were 5 years old?
Ah, terraforming, architecture, and bio-engineering - which sounds strange for a 5 year old to do, I know. Well, really, they were 6 when they started doing it.

You see, in the particular universe that Dyjian exists in, there are things called Polytheilytes and Isterytes. These are basically little geometric crystals, on the inside of which is an infinite number of filaments of who-knows-what that upon manipulation can become an infinite number of things, and likewise have about the same number of possibilities.

Now there's a whole lot of alien theory and speculation that goes on with the use of these things. Like why are Isterytes always platonic solids, and do irregularities in the shape of Polytheilytes affect the outcome (form or function) of the thing produced, and can organic organisms produced by use of these crystals truly be considered organic.

Well, Lucein was given an Isteryte when he was 6. Being that he is a perfect Xei, it became one of his greatest fixations, because of all the things that he could potentially do with it. And as a 6 year old, despite it being a complex concept, it made his imagination run stark-wild, like a euphoric man streaking haphazardly though the Denver Stadium when its full for the Sunday Superbowl.

What's one thing your character thinks they're really good at that they really aren't?

Religion0

Registered
Reaction score
What's one thing your character thinks they're really good at that they really aren't?

Everything, she's a teenager. :D
Nah, she'd like to say she's an excellent freerunner or traceur, but that's only because she comes out the other side unscathed and is sufficiently fearless to do the moves, but if she couldn't heal as quickly, well... She'd die five times in an average week. That, and she doesn't really know much about either discipline and hasn't had any kind of training in them, so anyone who actually practices either would say her form is horrid. But don't tell her that, she gets from A to B very quickly.

Your MC has to impress how dangerous and angry they are on someone and decide to get creative with their threats, what do they say?
(Bonus points for absolutely flubbed lines.)

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
Your MC has to impress how dangerous and angry they are on someone and decide to get creative with their threats, what do they say?
(Bonus points for absolutely flubbed lines.)

Oh, this is kinda fun.

MC#1 In his setting, his reputation normally precedes him. He'd give you something like "I am Sosha Ackazar, I am the Demon of Sholov, the Lone Man on the Bridge. I slew the Royal family of Gotterdam, and hundreds since. If you don't move, I'll be killing you too." At the end of the story, he'd probably mention killing Lien, who was the god of war. Most sane people on Shaliel would shit a brick and run for it.

MC#2's reputation is so rusty that he can't use it. Telling people that he's a legendary figure from a thousand year old story just falls flat. He'd probably just say something like "You ever see someone's intestines ripped out? It's terribly painful, I think it hurts more than burning even. Hmm, there's a thought, I'm gonna rip your intestines out and burn them."

What is your MC's worst adult fear?

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
MC 1 - that he won't get to see his kids again. :( Sad news is, he dies before he gets to, so it's a legit fear.
Me 2 - She just turned marrying age, and in this fantasy story that's sixteen. Trouble is, she's never had anyone interested in her. She has this strange association with ghosts, and people don't like that.

Your MC accidentally walks in on a friend having sex. What do they do? :)

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your MC accidentally walks in on a friend having sex. What do they do? :)
To quote from actual narrative:
Of course Rollond walked in on them in Cou's Nav. Ielase sat on the edge of the cylindrical map display, her shirt and bra bunched up on her chest while her panties were nearly discarded, dangling off her ankle. Her fingers were tightly wound into Rah'ii's mane, his head between her thighs.

It wasn't until after some squirming that she happened to see Rollond standing there. "Ah! R-r-r — hi!" she said, almost leaping back over the map drum. In a hurry she pulled her bra into place, her shirt swiftly coming down.

And Rah'ii peered over his shoulder, licking his lips slowly, this eerily accomplished look on his face, as if to say women are tasty. He snuck in one last lick before she hastily got her panties and jeans back on.

"You should try his hips," Rollond said, amused.

Your MC is put into a position where they must take the lives of their closest companions and decide who lives, and who dies. In order to get out of this situation, the MC MUST make a sacrifice. What do they do?

pɐǝɹq ou 'ǝsɐǝןd ןɐǝɯ puɐ ɐןoɔ

Last edited:

Religion0

Registered
Reaction score
Your MC is put into a position where they must take the lives of their closest companions and decide who lives, and who dies. In order to get out of this situation, the MC MUST make a sacrifice. What do they do?

Try to kill herself, curl up in a corner in a panic, make snarky/crazed comments, try to kill herself again, shake the person she's chosen to blame for the situation while screaming absolutely crazed nonsense ("Hollow sound of giant bells, grinding of the gears. Kneel before the Darkness." and no, that doesn't make sense in context), panic in a corner some more, and then finally just collapse in a corner, deciding to either put up with the situation or offer something else. Her adoptive "big brother" would probably make a very pragmatic decision and try to talk her into it.

What is your MC's (extreme) sport of choice?

Moriar

Registered
Reaction score

If your character got a tattoo, what would it be, where on the body would s/he put it, and what would it signify? (If s/he already has tattoos, what would the next one be?)

The male MC might get something big on his back, maybe some sort of open-wings creature. Just because he can (unless future storyline push him towards getting something in particular).
The female MC doesn't want tattoos. She already has "signs" from other sources and likes to keep her skin as candid as possible. Though she does get temporary paintings etc on for special occasions or encounters (flowers, quotes, decorative motifs).

Question: Which of the five senses would the MC bear to lose if he could have a choice?

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, that's always the question, isn't it?

MC 1 - nope. Go away. I'm busying sharpening my throwing knives.
MC 2 - ALL THE CUDDLES!

Is your character trained in a certain weapon? What is it? If not, do they have other skills that make them powerful, like a quick wit, or perhaps influence over a monarch?

StarryEyes

Registered
Reaction score
Is your character trained in a certain weapon? What is it? If not, do they have other skills that make them powerful, like a quick wit, or perhaps influence over a monarch?

MC1 is quite good with a sword, though he'd have trouble going up against a professional soldier. Still, it's a useful skill for him to have. Being royalty, most people expect him to rely on his guards to protect him, so they get a nasty surprise when they catch him alone and suddenly he pulls out a sword and retaliates :D

MC2 has experience with several weapons, but his favourites are the spear and the javelin. He finds them more pleasant to use than swords. He's not one for close combat - he'd rather impale his enemies from a distance ;)

MC3 can't use any weapons, and while she has talents (like, uh, sewing, and looking after animals), they're not particularly useful for gaining power. Her most useful skill, if we can call it that, is how easily she can go unnoticed. She's a small, skinny thirteen-year-old who doesn't talk much, and because of her social class, most people treat her like a child, boss her around and sometimes even forget she's there. This means she knows a lot more than she should, and it gives her a whole lot of power… once she's brave enough to use it.

How does your MC view themselves? In what way is their perception different from what they're really like?

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
How does your MC view themselves? In what way is their perception different from what they're really like?
MC1: While in her own world, she views herself as being pretty average. Average looks, average intelligence, maybe a little uninteresting personality-wise because she can be on the introverted side. In reality she's actually pretty cute, a quick thinker, and well-liked by the people who know her.

Once transported into the Other world, she feels basically the same, but add on to it that she feels alone and uncared for because everyone she knew in her own world is now gone. In fact, in her darkest moments, she thinks that if she got killed by one of the many dangerous things in that world, no one would mourn her because she's a stranger. In reality, though she doesn't know many people, she's hardly alone, and those few people who know her like her and consider her a friend. At least one of them would even give his life for hers if he had to.

The MC of one of your stories gets stuck in a malfunctioning elevator with the MC of a different one of your stories. What happens?

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I like this question. I write a lot of fantasy, so the characters would work well in an elevator together, but that also means none of them know what an elevator is. I'll take the 3 MCs from my 3 WIPS and toss them together and see what happens.

---

Adel bit his lip. The high tech buttons and the seam in the middle of the strange, rolling doors were silent. Nothing moved. "They said it was supposed to sink down." He approached the pad of buttons and clicked 1, which he was told would bring him to ground level.

"It already sank down. Do you think it went far enough?" Devin cocked his head. The man pressing the button wasn't doing a very good job. "Does it take awhile? Move over." He put up an elbow and shoved Adel. All he could think to do was jam his thumb into the number 1 and wait.

"Don't push me."

"I'm getting it to work. I have a bad feeling about this. We're trapped. What if it's a set up? Demons could invade and we'd be dead in minutes." Fearing his own scenario, he pulled a revolver out of his holster, gripping it tightly in his right hand.

In the corner, a little mousy boy with wild hair coughed. He tried to speak over Devin, but his shy voice didn't win.

Adel looked over his shoulder, eyes narrowed and angry. "There are no such things as demons. We have to get these doors to open."

"Of course there are. Pressing that isn't working. Let's wedge this open." Devin approached the seam in the doors, gun still brandished.

The gun was a weapon unfamiliar to Adel, but when Devin held it, an air of superiority emanated from his right hand. This man was a stranger, and he held a threat. In response, Adel thumbed the hilt on his own short sword, and when he decided that wasn't good enough, drew it with a wave of his arm.

The mousy boy behind them backed into a corner, eyes flitting from weapon to weapon.

"Don't." Devin took a step back and squared up to Adel. "Don't do that." His voice wasn't full of caution. It was warning, like a snake about to strike.

"If you pushed the buttons in the correct fashion I wouldn't have to react at all. You're incompetent, and now I'm trapped in a box with a man who thinks demons will eat him."

"This is for them, not you." Devin waved his gun. "You're tempting me though."

"I th-th-th-think," the boy in the corner managed to stutter. "Tha-th-th-that's the one we whu-whu-want." Gently, he stepped between the two men, arm outstretched, focusing on a button with two arrows pointing outwards. His finger brushed it just lightly enough to push it, and a moment later there was a peaceful ding and the doors rolled open.

"Oh." Devin shrugged and put his gun back in his holster. "Kid, you should travel with me."

---

Haha, that was kind of fun. And you made me write 500 words. :D

Your MC's best friend/parent/child/someone close to them has been kidnapped. They get a ransom letter that demands a trade. The kidnapper will release the loved one if the MC goes in the loved one's place instead. What would your MC do?

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
Your MC's best friend/parent/child/someone close to them has been kidnapped. They get a ransom letter that demands a trade. The kidnapper will release the loved one if the MC goes in the loved one's place instead. What would your MC do?

Because of how he had to grow up, Sosha would assume that at that point in the exchange his loved one is already dead. The kidnappers are going to find that they have made a dreadful mistake as he hunts them down and brutally kills them one by one. And finding out that his loved one is alive at the end would be a great plus.

Kilasion would go with the trade, as the worst that they could do to him is bury him. And he's always found a way to get out of that one.

Your MC has finished their adventure and is ready to retire when another call comes along. Do they jump at it, or does it have to drag them kicking and screaming?

JTShadow56

The Sith Lord of Darkness
Registered
Reaction score
Your MC has finished their adventure and is ready to retire when another call comes along. Do they jump at it, or does it have to drag them kicking and screaming?

Considering my main character is a half-demon superhero, he would definitely jump at the chance to go back into action because he feels his work is never going to be done. Plus he has an obsession with killing people.

Does your MC allow their flaws and mistakes get in the way of their mission?

Religion0

Registered
Reaction score
Does your MC allow their flaws and mistakes get in the way of their mission?

Yes.

An MC from another WIP, though, wouldn't. She's way too pragmatic.

Can we do more multi-MC questions? I like those. MCs from two or more stories are on a road trip together, where are they headed and how do they get along?

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
Can we do more multi-MC questions? I like those. MCs from two or more stories are on a road trip together, where are they headed and how do they get along?

Hmm. I think I'm going to do this one. And I'm going to use both of my MC's and their Co MC's.

Katie drummed her fingers on the wheel of the van. It was an ugly old thing, but it was what they could get after pawning the gold coins her husband always carried.

"You're going to fast!" Sosha cried from the seat behind her, she could feel him gripping the headrest of her seat like it was all that was holding him to the rattling metal death trap.

"I'm going the speed limit." Katie growled over her shoulder.

"Relax friend." Kilasion said from the passenger seat. "Your wife told us she has operated such a machine many times. I for one am fascinated that it can get going this-"

"I don't care!" Sosha wailed "This is insane!"

"Would all of you be quiet?" Katie asked. "It's gonna rain and I need to pay attention to traffic. My license is like ten years expired and I don't want to get pulled over!"

Kilasion hissed "Hey, no need to be agitated." he said, looking over his shoulder. "You alright Sol?"

The girl shook her head and continued to hold onto both her handle and cup rest with white knuckles.

"Relax my dear. You'll be fine. Just take a moment to appreciate that technology marches ever on."

"Easy for you to say." she squeaked out as the entire van began to vibrate from it's off weight wheel. "It can't kill you."

Katie groaned, it had been like this for the last two hours, ever since they had started driving in California with the two... Elves. Her cousin's ranch in Montana was going to be a long, long drive away. "Hey! Let's play a game, it's called Quaker's Meeting!"

There was a beat of silence as everyone else in the car missed the joke. "Sosha, let go of my chair, it won't help you if we have an accident anyways."

"That doesn't comfort me!" he shouted, pulling on the chair tighter, and somehow wrapping several of her hairs into his grip. "Ow! Hey!" Katie tried to twist her hair free. "Let go!"

The entire van rumbled as she drifted into the rumble strip, Sol and Sosha screamed and Kilasion started shouting at them to man up. Katie pulled back into the middle of her lane. "EVERYONE SHUT UP!" she shouted at the top of her lungs.

Silence... Blessed silence. "I'm gonna put on the radio." she said, pushing a button.

"Oh my? Where is that coming from? It's like there's an entire symphony in here!" Kilasion said. "What does this button do?" And inadvertently switched to heavy metal, getting another round of startled shouts and cries.

Seven hours later.

"Katie! Katie! Wake up!" Kilasion screamed, bracing a foot into the dashboard. As immortal as he was, he wasn't looking forward to experiencing a new way to die today. The brown haired woman snapped her eyes open, unaware of having drifted off.

A semi truck was blasting it's horn as it's headlights grew brighter in the darkness. Sol screamed, waking Sosha, who shouted and instinctively drew his sword. Katie swerved out of the way just as the truck exploded.

"Sol!" Kilasion shouted "Why did you do that? that was- What are those lights?"

Katie looking in her rear view mirror as the red and blues of highway patrol were growing on her tail. "Oh God." She whined. "We're all going to jail."

That was kinda fun. :D
two of your MCs find themselves in a maze and have to work together to get out. What happens?

Last edited:

Religion0

Registered
Reaction score
That was kinda fun. :D
two of your MCs find themselves in a maze and have to work together to get out. What happens?

I'm looking forward to this.

"I'm sick of this labyrinth!" Morgan growled, punching the wall of meticulously groomed fir boughs, only for it to bounce back and hit her in the face.

"Then why are you leading us in circles?" Hyarou asked, one ear twitching.

"Why am I what now?"

"Leading us in circles. It's a big place, but this is the second time we've been here, and we've been at the cross over there four times already, somehow." Her ear twitched slightly. "I'm impressed you didn't break your nose."

"I did... If you could tell that all along, why didn't you say something?"

"I don't know where the exit is, and I'm in no hurry."

"You don't want to get out of here?"

One ear bobbed with a shoulder in a non-committal shrug. "No reason to. Not here."

"Well, I want to get out. I'm hungry, and your physiology is starting to bother me."

Hyarou inspected the hedges. "A boost and a jump could get me up on the hedges, maybe the exit is visible from there."

Morgan stared at her.

"I could also just keep us from going in circles, if you prefer to be methodical. Or, if she's listening, Raki would be very helpful." Nothing happened, and Hyarou shrugged. "She isn't, so the decision is up to you."

"You can get up there in one go?"

"If you give me a boost, yes."

Morgan mumbled something senseless under her breath, but got ready to give Hyarou a boost. "Good thing I'm stronger than I look."

"Yes, then I might not even have to jump."

Morgan mumbled something, then counted down from three and tossed Hyarou, who managed to get her arms over the hedge.

"Good thing you're lighter than you look. See anything?"

"Hedges, mist, pathways, and one very white man having a look around of his own."

"Jolly? Yell at him, his hearing's very good."

"Not if I have to yell." Hyarou took a deep, deep breath. "Jolly!" she barked. Morgan fell over flat at how loud it was. "You? Good. Is there an exit over there?" She stopped for a moment, tilting her head slightly. "Yes, she's here. No, stay there, we can use you as a way marker." She turned and hopped down. "I have a good idea for the route we should take." Hyarou turned back the way they had come and set off.

"Oh, good... How can you be so loud?"

"Good lungs, and the air is very thick down here, so it's easier to keep up the volume."

"We're on top of a mountain..."

"Very small mountain. I fly above higher ones daily at home."

"Fly?"

Are you easy to kill, or is it just plot and good luck that's kept you so far?

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
Are you easy to kill, or is it just plot and good luck that's kept you so far?

Sosha, is a mortal man. He's a tough one and has good survival instincts so he's fairly tough to kill, and he's a master with the sword and spear. However, he's had bad judgement when he was younger and plot armor and luck saved him more than once.

Kilasion is immortal, so... Lets do Sol. Sol is a sorceress, and one hell of a powerful one. If she were prepared for the fight, it's not entirely unreasonable that she could take out a small army. Unprepared she's still a threat. But she's a little oblivious, and has only made it as long as she has because of her immortal warrior best friend/grandfather.

Lets scenario swap your MC for the MC of another story. How would they respond in this scene; "You must come with me to Alderan, if you're to learn the ways of the force."