The 2014-2015 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi/Fantasy Story Swap

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Signing up to both give and receive. ^_^

Prompt: A creepy doll story. The doll can be a toy, a robot, a mind-controlled human... whatever direction you care to take it in. The doll doesn't have to be evil and the story doesn't have to be horror. In fact, I think it'd be cool to see the trope used outside its typical genre. Keep it PG or PG-13, please, and for the love of my normal sleep cycle, do NOT endanger any little kids in the story.

Stuff I Write: I'm pretty flexible, although take into account I'm sitting here with a Bible verse in my signature. So if anyone has their heart set on a story in which God turns out to be a hoax orchestrated by ancient aliens, I'm probably not the best match. ^_^;;

Last edited:

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Sign-Up List of AWesome is updated along with a couple small changes (moved Betas into their own smexy list).

FYI, if you have NOT received a rep from me stating that I you are 100% good to go (i.e. I have an e-mail for you and a prompt), PLEASE rep me on this post and I'll rep you back with your status. Just want to make sure everyone knows where they stand at the moment.

Last item (for now): we are beginning the second week of sign-ups. If you know folks in other realms (horror, mystery, etc), who dabble in Sci-Fi/Fant and might enjoy this, please feel free to invite them. The more, the merrier!

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Oooh, story time! Why not? I'll give and receive, please.

Prompt: I'd like a sad story (no, I'm not depressed, so no worries). Something that tugs on my heart strings, something that doesn't turn out happily ever after for everyone. Something with a little grit that might make me reach for a tissue. Pretty open ended on genre, but no gory stuff, okay? I like horror...just not in splishes and splashes.

Game for Writing: romance, humor, paranormal, fantasy, quirky, sassy, you name it. Probably don't want torture yourself by having me try GrimDark, angsty teen fiction, or hard core scifi. Oh, and while I will happily write heat, I don't do erotica.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
I've been sneakily stalking this subforuming waiting for this event to open. And for what it's worth I WAS THE RUNNER UP FOR LAST YEAR'S WINNING GUESSING THING THREAD. [/competitive] But um, all hail TAMaxwell. We are not worthy. :D

Ok, I want in. Receiving.

I prefer to write fantasy. I won't write sexytimes. If you give me humor, I'll just cry. And then you guys will cry because you'll have to read it. I am absolutely fine and good with dark, mysterious, horror, violence, angst, teens, torture, introverted, action, action, more action, and cupcakes.

Prompt: A dragon meets a songbird. (If you do it Bambi/Godzilla style, I will find and kill your dog.) Aside from that, you take it from there. Humor, fantasy, steampunk, modern setting, on another world - anything you want. :)
Bonus points if swords make an appearance.

PS - I'm moving and I'm sorta without internet for a little while. I check my email every 1-2 days when I go into town but we should be getting internet soon. I figure I'll get it by the time everything is assigned.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So CM, are you going to participate? I haven't seen your info yet.......... .. .

I am and thanks for reminding me. I've been so distracted with the administration of this that I forgot to put up my prompt.

Prompt: Plain and simple: I love a good story. It can be Steampunk, Sci-Fi, Fantasy (High or Urban), Sword and Board, Cyberpunk, Carniepunk, etc. Honestly, I'm a bit of a Pollyanna when it comes to the stuff I like: the girl/guy finds love, the evil empire/monarch gets their comeuppance, and the universe is safe once more. I don't do horror, graphic smexytimes (although I do like romantic elements), or sadness. Humor, especially when paired with excellent dialogue, wins the day in my world.

Bonus points if you include an ocelot.

What I write: Lather, rinse, repeat with my Prompt. I'll take on just about anything, but do enjoy using this event to step outside my comfort box.

That said, if we wind up with an odd number of participants, I may bow out entirely so that we have an exact match. I'll play it by ear as we get closer to the deadline. Nah, I'm in.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I'll play this year. BOTH me up.

I would like a story featuring cooperation between humans and sentient non-humans, either to solve a problem or create one. Genre/tone/amount of wanton violence is up to you, dear Santa.

I write science fiction and horror more than high fantasy, but will give anything a whirl. Please note that my attempts at romance have been known to sterilize lab rats through several layers of lead sheeting, and I'd feel terribly guilty if an AWer could never have babies because of me.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
That said, if we wind up with an odd number of participants, I may bow out entirely so that we have an exact match. I'll play it by ear as we get closer to the deadline.
Huh. Actually, with your permission, could I use this?

I keep going back and forth about participating. Last year I let laziness make the final decision. It might be better to let random chance do it this year. So I'd be happy to be the in-if-needed, out-otherwise participant, if that's okay?

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Huh. Actually, with your permission, could I use this?

I keep going back and forth about participating. Last year I let laziness make the final decision. It might be better to let random chance do it this year. So I'd be happy to be the in-if-needed, out-otherwise participant, if that's okay?

Actually, after doing some thinking (and getting a very lovingly worded rep), I am reminded that more stories are a good thing. As such, I'm 100% in.

But don't worry, there's still plenty of time to decide if you want to participate this year!

On that tangent, I encourage anyone on the fence to play along since it's always a lot of fun. If you're concerned about 1) time 2) quality 3) stress, I'll simply say that you shouldn't put any worry into all three. We always allow more time as needed, no one will ever judge your work other than appreciating the fact that you gave them a story, and you should absolutely not stress over this event.

The SS-SFF-SS is unique in that it's not a competition nor are the stories publicized. Unless you decide otherwise, your giftee is the only one who sees the whole shebang. And you know what? If it's not your best work, that's a-okay. The most important thing to take away from this is the camaraderie with you get by walking a similar path as your fellow writers. We are all creating something that you can't buy or make anywhere else. And we all know that someone else is doing the same for us.

Writing can be a lonely, mildly frustrating profession at times. There are long waits, rejections, poor sales, and the struggle to spit and polish a submission till it's perfect. The SS-SFF-SS doesn't care about any of that. Instead, it only asks for writers to enjoy the process of creating a story. It allows us to band together for an entertaining, judgment-free event filled with the delight of sharing words with others like us. That, in and of itself, is why I love doing this every year. And hopefully, when the event is over, other writers find it was worth their time as well.

If folks decide this isn't right for them this year, no matter the reason, that's perfectly fine. We all have committments or distractions. If folks do play, however, I hope that they walk away not only with a story made just for them, but also with a sense of fellowship that is sometimes hard to come by in this career.

Last edited:

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Well- it took 2 reputation posts but now I think I finally, properly, signed up for SS!

Its been a couple years since I did this! But I actually got a story out of it that found a home on Luna Station Quarterly!

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
I'm debating about signing up as well. I'm terrible with deadlines. Like, sometimes they come and go, and I'm like... "Ooops!"

((It could be depression stopping me from doing anything))

I don't want to disappoint anyone.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
I'll try this! I love this forum and I'd love to get to know you all better. So sick of editing too, writing something brand new would be a thrill at this point.
But I don't understand how we're paired up?

Prompt:
Looking for fantasy or horror with a strong female character that's really important to the situation or world somehow.

Stuff I Write:
I write fantasy and horror. I can do a bit of gore, violence or romance, but nothing explicit. No historical, or sci fi unless you're okay with science fantasy where anything goes. Not sure how good I am with humor or animals, but I can try. Please don't give me anything with strict boundaries or guidelines, you'll just entice me to break them.

Last edited:

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Btw, is there anyway to read last year's stories?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I'll try this! I love this forum and I'd love to get to know you all better. So sick of editing too, writing something brand new would be a thrill at this point.
But I don't understand how we're paired up?

It's randomly assigned by Cobra. He'll email you who you write for around Christmas.

Re: last year's, what Sage said. If you want to read the whole of any of the samples, just message the writer. Most of us were open to sharing.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
oooooo post #900 is that lucky?

Receiving (Prompt): OK, this is a little weird, but I would like my person to use this drawing (by me) as their prompt I call her Bramble Witch- you can call her whatever you want! I'm hoping for MG fantasy with this witch as the star. That link again http://spiderliing666.deviantart.com/art/Bramble-Witch-451580993

Giving: I will happily write you a vampire story! I can write fantasy, UF, YA (I almost forgot that one!) and Middle Grade. I have a tough time with hard SF and romance. No erotica- seriously can not write it. Other than that I'm game. Oh- and I love horror but I'm terrible at writing it! Much to my dismay... But I can try... gore is fine- I like gore.

Last edited:

PEBKAC2

Will crit for food.
Registered
Reaction score
Count me in for both! I'll rep you after I post this.

Giving: I'm up for anything other than romance or erotica. I enjoy writing horror, scifi, fantasy, etc.

Receiving: I enjoy horror. Sci-fi and fantasy on the darker side but with a bit of humor is great as well. Or toss a bunch of genres on a blender and let me read what comes out. I like kickass heroines. Bonus points for working in the statements, "It's better than dying in a dumpster," and, "I don't admire cheese."

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're entering the final week for sign-ups, so if you're thinking of playing, make sure to get your prompts in before the window closes!

Also, if I'm still waiting on something from you, please have it in no later than the close date so I can properly match prompts with gifters.

We start soon, folks.

Very sooooooooon.....

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
oooooo post #900 is that lucky?

Receiving (Prompt): OK, this is a little weird, but I would like my person to use this drawing (by me) as their prompt I call her Bramble Witch- you can call her whatever you want! I'm hoping for MG fantasy with this witch as the star. That link again http://spiderliing666.deviantart.com/art/Bramble-Witch-451580993

You know, I was going to use a drawing a prompt. I think it's a really good way to spark creativity. For me at least. :D I wonder if other people are like that too.

Congrats on 900! Next, you need to get it over 9000!!!

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
You know, I was going to use a drawing a prompt. I think it's a really good way to spark creativity. For me at least. :D I wonder if other people are like that too.

Congrats on 900! Next, you need to get it over 9000!!!

LOL! I wasn't even sure about using the drawing as a prompt! But I'm hoping someone finds it inspiring! It's a favorite drawing of mine and I have NO ideas for the character, and I don't really work like that (ironic being an artist and all).

9000 posts! OMG! Has anyone ever hit that??

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
T-MINUS 5-DAYS TO THE END OF SIGN-UPS.

Come one, come all to participate in The Greatest Event in Human History*!

*Patent Pending

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen, Children of all ages!

Step right up and feast your eyes upon the rare and mystical Sign-Up for the SS-SFF-SS!

Indeed, this is the only know SS-SFF-SS Sign-Up in captivity! Discovered by scientists in a faraway land, this event is guaranteed to thrill your senses and fill you with amazement.

But, much like Shangri-La, this event only exists for a short time. In fact, there are only 4 days before this magnificent beast vanishes for good!

That's right, folks, ONLY 4 DAYS REMAIN!

So get your tickets now, otherwise you'll spend the rest of your days regretting how you didn't participate in the Greatest Event in Human History*!

*Restrictions apply. See your dealer for more details.

Last edited: