Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I AM DONE!

Last noms submitted. I feel very virtuous. :)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Mine are also submitted. Thanks for the link, slhuang.

I am definitely going to try to keep better track of what I liked this year myself, as well.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
The finalists for the Hugo Awards will be announced on Saturday at Noon Pacific Daylight Time.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Yes.

Rumor is folks should brace themselves for *significant* drama, of the sort and source of last year's shenanigans except on a much more monumental scale. Expecting everyone here to remember the RYFW rule and not go too ballistic about things however they fall out, and that's as much a reminder to myself as anyone else...

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
And simultaneously at Rotorua, New Zealand, at the Renaissance con. :D

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Here are the Finalists for the 2015 Hugo Awards.

I've been thinking for two days what to post here when the ballot was released and I still don't have words for my feelings.

But I will be HAPPY to talk about the advantages of getting a supporting membership to Sasquan this year if you would like to vote in the Hugos. I also note they're having another sale on Attending memberships--$190 if you are not already a Supporting member of Sasquan.

(If you'd like to get into nominating and voting on the Hugos every year, I'll gladly discuss the advantages of voting in Site Selection this year, which automatically gets you a supporting membership in whichever bid wins 2017.)

I'll also probably chime in about how No Award works on the Hugo ballot at some later time.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
Looking at that list, I think I know what's going to blow up the internet.

On a lighter note, from their home page:

2,122 valid nominating ballots (2,119 electronic and 3 paper)

For some reason the idea of a whopping 3 people submitting paper ballots is funny to me. I'm picturing them writing with a feather quill, and pressing the wax seal with their signet ring.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
LOL. Last year at the business meeting there was an impassioned plea to keep on with paper ballots for those with no access to computers.

To be fair to those people, the Sasquan Progress Report with the nomination information and paper ballot was mailed AFTER the deadline for nominating had passed. A very embarrassing cock-up by the con.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I didn't feel competent to nominate, since I hadn't actually had time to read anything. I'll make it a point to read the finalists and decide based on quality. I don't vote politics. I know that offends some, and others will cheer it. But I'm a reader at heart, even when I write. :)

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
I feel so bad for the Hugo admins. It's a bunch of people who volunteer for the love, and they've been sitting on what they knew was a shitstorm for weeks.

Nobody should have to look forward to the Huo announcement with all the joy of a root canal.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I've been feeling the same thing. It's just too bad. And any changes to the WSFS constitution made in response cannot take effect until at least 2017 and maybe even 2018, depending on the results of a proposal carried over from last year.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I feel bad for some of the folks on the slate who probably didn't realize they were, and are now bad apples to many folks.

Like my favorite author's editor.

(mind, that editor has been on the ballot before and will probably be on again)

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
I feel bad for some of the folks on the slate who probably didn't realize they were, and are now bad apples to many folks.

Yep. As I understand it, the puppies didn't actually contact folks to let them know they'd be on the slate. While most of said slate were folks who are deep in the puppy clique, some of them likely have no clue what was happening. Not everyone pays attention to online conversations and arguments. I'd be amazed if Sheila Gilbert even knew what Sad Puppies were, to pick one example.

It will be fascinating to see how the final results turn out this year...

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
For some reason the idea of a whopping 3 people submitting paper ballots is funny to me. I'm picturing them writing with a feather quill, and pressing the wax seal with their signet ring.

Totally OT, but I live in a town with *no* highspeed internet. No cable, no DSL. Everyone is either struggling along on dialup or paying a fortune for sh*tty satellite service. It screws up our kids who get online assignments they can't see/do, and it kills property values; no one can sell/rent anything without taking a huge financial hit. And we finally have a chance to get wired, if 60% of the town votes for it at town meeting...

...and we have people campaigning against it as "elitist".

*headdesk*

But I will be HAPPY to talk about the advantages of getting a supporting membership to Sasquan this year if you would like to vote in the Hugos. I also note they're having another sale on Attending memberships--$190 if you are not already a Supporting member of Sasquan.

(If you'd like to get into nominating and voting on the Hugos every year, I'll gladly discuss the advantages of voting in Site Selection this year, which automatically gets you a supporting membership in whichever bid wins 2017.)

I'll also probably chime in about how No Award works on the Hugo ballot at some later time.

Yes! If you support, you can vote! If you attend, you can vote AND come hang out with a bunch of awesome AW peeps who will also be there! How can you go wrong?

I feel so bad for the Hugo admins. It's a bunch of people who volunteer for the love, and they've been sitting on what they knew was a shitstorm for weeks.

Yeah, and I imagine there are a lot more worries on their plate that won't go away until after Worldcon happens. Much love for the volunteers stuck with this mess.

I'm hoping some of those folks come out and publicly say "whuh? I have nothing to do with these people."

I know at least one person has come out to say they knew nothing about it.

Last edited:

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
They found out yesterday, but yeah. Brad Torgersen is on record stating everyone on the SP3 slate agreed to be on it, or was removed. Somehow I don't think that is correct....

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Wow! It's a long read, but really helped me understand what a lot of the discussion (okay...argument) is about. He should get an award just for that one post!

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I've read a few of the SP nominations. They're not all bad, and better IMO than most of their nominations last year.

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
They found out yesterday, but yeah. Brad Torgersen is on record stating everyone on the SP3 slate agreed to be on it, or was removed. Somehow I don't think that is correct....

Dave Creek was VERY upset to be on it and demanded to be take off. Last year, as I recall, Howard Tayler was baffled and upset to be included. Couple others coming out of the woodwork, too. So at this point, I know more people who didn't know they were on it than did (though I state for the record that I don't know most of the authors on the slate, and I could simply be distantly acquainted via internet, by statistical fluke, with those who all somehow slipped through the cracks.)

I do feel very badly for nominees who may not have understood the Sad Puppies thing and are only now learning about it--many of us want Hugos very badly, and it would be so easy to say "But I'm good, and surely I would have made it on my own merits..." And those people are getting slapped in the face very hard right now by a large chunk of fandom. It sucks, and I feel bad for them.

The whole thing is just ugly as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.