What world?

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hello all!! I have something new running through my head and was wondering if I could shoot a few questions your way!! So the idea is this, a young man was born in a prison, his mother is a political prisoner of sorts because she is dragon-spawn, a magical creature created by magic and the drinking of dragon blood rather than being dragon-born, born from the eggs of the Mother Dragon. The young man lives in the prison with his mother, but when he is 15, they execute her, but they cannot execute him because he had done nothing wrong, so they let him go and he wanders into a world he is unprepared for.
He meets a young woman who is a sorceress, and is the last of her kind to be able to read a magical book. Because of this, the Dread Sorceress is after her. She send her two trusted henchmen after the girl. Controlled by her magic, they have no other choice but to obey, for they are brothers, and if one disobeys, the other suffers. Failure in this mission is not an option.
As the sorceress seeks out the girl and the Dragon Mother seeks out the boy, survival becomes priority in a dangerous world.
So questions: I would like to ask, would this work better in a traditional fantasy setting, or could it possibly be urban fantasy? If it is possible to do an urban fantasy story, I have no idea where something like this would be set, or in fact the logistics of urban fantasy. I do not usually write urban fantasy and would be dabbling into places unknown, just like with erotica. Making it an urban fantasy and the two MCs a couple of some sort would be interesting (not erotic relationship, sex maybe, erotic or graphic, no). So thoughts on this. What do you think, where could it work? I am open to trying urban, it would be interesting. Also, in general, is this a good idea/concept? Anyway, let me know! You have my thanks!!

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
So questions: I would like to ask, would this work better in a traditional fantasy setting, or could it possibly be urban fantasy? If it is possible to do an urban fantasy story, I have no idea where something like this would be set, or in fact the logistics of urban fantasy. I do not usually write urban fantasy and would be dabbling into places unknown, just like with erotica. Making it an urban fantasy and the two MCs a couple of some sort would be interesting (not erotic relationship, sex maybe, erotic or graphic, no). So thoughts on this. What do you think, where could it work? I am open to trying urban, it would be interesting.

How about your own world?

Also, in general, is this a good idea/concept?

i am groot

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
First off, you could pull off urban fantasy here if you're going for the "magic exists in a hidden community/world within our own" thing... but it would have to be more covert. (Unless you're doing an alt-modern world where the general population knows all about magic.) People have done dragons, especially hybrid human or shifter dragons, in modern settings.

Secondly, though, I had a hard time figuring out the in-world logic behind the backstory of the boy. Why would these people wait until the boy is 15 to execute the mother? Why would they just let him go after this - why not keep him imprisoned, or kill him at the start? (Innocent or not, his mother is obviously considered a serious threat to society - he's fruit of the poisoned tree, so to speak. It would be too easy to arrange for a baby to "die" in its sleep with a pillow over its face, to remove even the threat that woman's offspring might someday bring. And letting the boy live also assumes an ethical restraint on the part of the prison-keepers which may not exist, depending on who is in charge...) If his mother's considered dangerous because of what she is, why is the boy a nonentity... and, again, why essentially board and raise this nonentity for 15 years, then open the prison door with a goodbye, good luck, and don't slip in Mommy's lifeblood? Have these people never read a story in their lives - how often children come back to avenge murdered parents? An escape would make more sense; she could be a long-term prisoner or hostage, too important to execute outright, which would make killing her kid a tricky proposition they don't want to fool with (yet). If the boy escapes, awkward questions could be asked... so someone panics and Mom gets killed. (It would add a nice little hunk of guilt to the boy, too; his freedom cost his mother her life.)

That may not work with your world, but I'd expect some rationalization for him still being alive, and for a 15-year delay in the execution of a dangerous criminal... and for him living with her the whole time. If he's considered an innocent, why wasn't he simply removed to a foster home as a baby? Why raise the kid in prison, bonding with his mother and possibly learning Forbidden Things from the dangerous dragon-spawn, then execute her and expect him to just walk out the door, go on his merry little way, and be a good boy and not wreak any vengeance on the people who killed his only family?

JMHO...

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Indeed I have thought of this, and at the moment, not everything makes sense, even to me...Haha. Mom and kid could be trying to escape together and mom gets killed. Better than him escaping and her getting killed after he's gone...Or is it? Ethics may or may not have anything to do with the decision they make. Mom could be protecting him, finds out they intend to kill him, helps him to try and escape, dies, they announce it is an execution, but it really isn't. Kid disappears for a while to discover his powers so that someday maybe he can come back and take revenge, but he cannot now. He either does not yet have his powers or is unable to control them at the time. They could kill her and release him for that reason, so that he can go, get his powers sorted, then come back, and they grab him before he can take his revenge. There are several scenarios that could potentially work, however, have to narrow it to one. But it sounds like it might be easier to do it either in a fantasy world, or in a world that is similar to ours but somewhat aware? Maybe even a world that kinf of like the turn of the century from 19th to 20th? Who knows, we shall see. Opinions?

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
It's generally not advised to try writing in genres that you don't read and aren't familiar with their standards and tropes. So urban fantasy doesn't sound like a good bet for you. If you're more comfortable with second world, just go with that.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
If that's the time period you're drawn to, do a little research and give it a shot. The advantage to a turn-of-the-century world over a modern one is that Earth was still very large back then - you had telegraphs and railroads, and the first inklings of cars, but you didn't have satellites and cell phones and cameras on nearly every street corner running 24/7 to catch strange activities. Someone could disappear and re-invent themselves without needing plastic surgery or a hacker to alter public records; handy, if you have any unusually long-lived magic people. So you could have some touches of modern civilization (someone in Chicago could fire off a telegram to someone in New York City or Santa Fe for relatively quick correspondence, for instance), yet with the conveniences/inconveniences of longer transportation times, more difficulty doing research (you'd have to mail-order books or physically travel to a library or collector, for instance) and such.

Or just come up with a secondary world, if you want. Though that would require research, too...

As for the other issue... perhaps the mother isn't imprisoned per se, but in exile? She fled to a remote place, perhaps an island, and there gave birth to and raised her son. But her enemies have finally tracked her down. (Perhaps she was betrayed - she may have had allies bringing her food and other necessities.) So the baddies show up, there's a fight, and Mother dies ensuring Junior's escape. In this scenario, your boy's first impression of The Outside World (barring books, perhaps) would be violence and fear, possibly shaping later reactions. And it's also possible that the boy's very existence isn't known until someone goes over the dead woman's hideout and realizes she had a child... giving Junior some lead time to get away and figure out life before anyone picks up his trail.

Just some thoughts...

Last edited:

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
What do you think, where could it work? I am open to trying urban, it would be interesting. Also, in general, is this a good idea/concept? Anyway, let me know! You have my thanks!!

I think you should make up your own world. This society sounds like it has some interesting pinch points that you could develop to the story's benefit, thus wind up with a much richer world than if it were confined to some pre-established worldpattern (such as urban).