What genre is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

craziichas

Registered
Reaction score
I don't really know what to classify my new WIP

It's centered around a woman who is locked up in an mental institution because she murdered her best friend but she did it because her friends was possessed by this demon and they thought it was the only way to save her friend. She has the ability to see and speak to spirits but only when they want to be seen or heard and she is now having to survive attacks because the demon is pissed she tried to destroy him.

Now when I write that out oh god does this novel sound silly but is it horror? So far the two chapters I have don't have 'scary' nail biting scenes. In the future things will get a little crazy but as a start it's certainly not scary. It's First POV, past tense. So the MC has a distinctly sarcastic/humorous voice.

I dunno. Maybe it's too soon to really stick it into a genre....

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, maybe too soon - or not... However, it sure sounds like horror. It's not unusual to let the creeping tension build slowly - just keep it ratcheting up.

Witch_turtle

hanging around for a spell
Registered
Reaction score
I say write it first and see how it turns out. But if you end up feeling that it's not really scary to the level of Horror, might I suggest Paranormal as an alternative? Good luck and have fun :)

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read that much horror but don't some of these books start out with people just going about their ordinary lives so you get to know them a bit before the horror.
Regardless it sounds like something you could get away with pitching to publishers of horror and speculative fiction. I think many of them aren't too rigid about what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.