Status
Not open for further replies.

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
I think we might need a Markets thread for sharing tips on weirdness-friendly markets. Please post your questions, recommendations and experiences here.

Three markets that I know are friendly to interstitial writing:

Interfictions anthology (pays pro rates). Currently closed to submissions.
GUD magazine (semi-pro rates at 3c a word) - preference for offbeat, weird, slipstream, interstitial, weird :D Currently closed to submissions, but will reopen on May 1st.
Fantasy magazine (pays pro rates, qualifies for SFWA) - they like beautifully written stories, and are partial to magic realism and surrealism.

Last edited:

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Some Clarkesworld (10c/word) stories hit my "What is this" buttons, though they have a major bias towards dark fantasy and things on the edges of dark fantasy.

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
Yes, Mamatas at Clarkesworld was buying some experimental stories from the slush back in the day, although I am not sure they were exactly interstitial; and with Mamatas's leave I am not sure what they are looking for. They do tend to prefer horror,dark SF, and dark Fantasy I think...

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Yes, Mamatas at Clarkesworld was buying some experimental stories from the slush back in the day, although I am not sure they were exactly interstitial; and with Mamatas's leave I am not sure what they are looking for. They do tend to prefer horror,dark SF, and dark Fantasy I think...

I am not sure either, but I got a "close" no on my alternate-clockwork-mythic India. So I think still with the weird, possibly a little less with the necessity of darkness?

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's also the Polyphony anthology series published by Wheatland Press. It's not currently open to submissions, but it's specifically an anthology for slipstream stories.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Sadly, not only is Polyphony not currently open, they had to cancel their last issue and (iirc) return stories to authors.
They should definitely go on a "to-read" list though. I'll start a to-read list.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
From Heliotrope's submission guidelines:

Heliotrope Magazine is looking for exceptional fiction that does not exceed 5,000 words. We are most interested in Science Fiction, Fantasy, Mystery and
Horror. If your story is somewhere in between or is something you can’t label – we are interested in that as well. We pay $.10 ( 10 cents) a word for fiction.

They're currently closed to submissions, though. (And the last issue's a bit old, too.)

Last edited:

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Midnight Street (in the UK) will consider slipstream stories. It's not open for submissions at the moment but should be in the near future - I'll post again when it is. (Vested interest alert: I've been published there and I'm the assistant editor.)

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org

My experience with (reading, more than submitting to) Heliotrope is that they do not mean this kind of "something in between". They seem less genrebendy than they claim.

I also have issues with Heliotrope, though they are not relevant here. But on the plus side they did publish a wonderful Clarion classmate of mine.

Midnight Street (in the UK) will consider slipstream stories. It's not open for submissions at the moment but should be in the near future - I'll post again when it is. (Vested interest alert: I've been published there and I'm the assistant editor.)

Oooh. Please do holler when it's open!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Brain Harvest is a brand new flash fic mag that, according to Duotrope, is looking for interstitial stuff. Upper word limit 750. They're also paying pro rates (5c p/w).

Linky to mag: Brain Harvest Mag

Here's their Duotrope listing: Brain Harvest on Duotrope

Last edited:

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
And, er, I feel very silly because I've thought this three or four times and forgotten to say -- surely we should have Weird Tales high on this list, with Ann Vandermeer editing it!

ETA: For discussion of the market Brain Harvest, see this thread.

Last edited:

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Leviathan reading period this year -- keep an ear cocked!

In other news, Leviathan 5 is currently scheduled for 2010, with a reading period later in 2009.

From Jeff Vandermeer's blog, in a post that includes my Clarion class's charity antho!

The Vandermeers tend to have open reading periods, so if anyone is doing really bizarre things...

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I found this on Coyote Wild's submission guidelines page:
Well, i finally know where my story that's been sitting at CW for 201 days and been thrice queried stands. :D

(it needed a rewrite anyway :tongue).

Last edited:

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Farrago's Wainscot is a much smaller market (it pays $20.00 per story), but it's still a good market that happens to be open to interstitial fiction.

Sharon Mock

Wing nut
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kirizal.livejournal.com
Vylar Kaftan is a damn fine writer and a former ToC-mate of mine; I don't think there's any nepotism here. And I perhaps ought to point out that my co-mod is a Clarion alum as well...?

Nicely creepy story up on Brain Harvest, as well. Ah, misogyny never ends.

Back on topic: Opium Magazine seems to have a fondness for the interstitial. (Evidence here.) I have not submitted there, so I can't say how that goes, but it looks like a market to keep an eye on.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
The Clockwork Phoenix 3 reading period for unsolicited stories will begin Oct. 1 and end Nov. 15.

I have no real understanding of what they want, but it's certainly intersticy:

editor Mike Allen describes the anthology as "a home for stories that sidestep expectations in beautiful and unsettling ways, that surprise with their settings and startle with the ways they cross genre boundaries, that aren't afraid to experiment with storytelling techniques."

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Speaking VanderMeers, Weird Tales skews dark fantasy/New Weird, but it does have quite a few pieces here or there that qualify as interstitial, to me. (The Last Great Clown Hunt, for instance...)

Status
Not open for further replies.