The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Yep--ditto, from all the way up here. We're all gonna have to wait for the archived show, I guess.

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Sher2 said:
Phooey, I'm going to miss it. After today my life becomes my own again, which doesn't help me out a bit at 2:00 today. Somebody fill me in when it's over?

Don't feel bad, Sher. It looks like none of us will be hearing it. None of us can get the site to come up. Phooey! :(

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
The attacks won't stop until these bashers all file backruptcy, which is the next phase of this thing.

Hmm, I never thought about filing backruptcy. Wonder how that would work, although I'm a tad worried I'll slip a disc. :Shrug:

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
lindylou45 said:
Hmm, I never thought about filing backruptcy. Wonder how that would work, although I'm a tad worried I'll slip a disc. :Shrug:

You know, that comment really puzzled the heck out of me. Are they thinking that the PA model is going to cause the big publishers to go out of business? Or do they think that the bashers are all vanity published and will run out of money spending it all on their own books?

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
lindylou45 said:
No, no, you read it wrong, it was supposed to say "feeling backruptcy". It's kind of halfway between a pain in the neck and a pain in the *ss. And you know, since I feel PA is both of those, I'm already there!
biggrin.gif

Kris

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
mdmkay said:
I just wanted to apologize for my temper tantrum the other night, normally I have a better riegn on my emotions. Thank you so much for all the support.

No apologies required. Support is what we're here for, you may have to calm one of us down in a few days.

Best of luck with your writing.

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Dawno said:
You know, that comment really puzzled the heck out of me. Are they thinking that the PA model is going to cause the big publishers to go out of business? Or do they think that the bashers are all vanity published and will run out of money spending it all on their own books?

I was wondering that myself. I'm clueless as to what it means. But then I'm generally fairly clueless, so it's not a new issue for me. :confused:

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
DreamWeaver said:
No, no, you read it wrong, it was supposed to say "feeling backruptcy". It's kind of halfway between a pain in the neck and a pain in the *ss. And you know, since I feel PA is both of those, I'm already there!
biggrin.gif

Kris

Kris,

Thank goodness you're here! Now we have a definition for another PA term.

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
I think part of the "BS balm"...

Dawno said:
...that PA promotes, and PA authors comfort themselves with, is that they are on the cutting edge of publishing technology and that the major publishing houses are going to have to follow the PA system in order to survive. It sounds good, and is designed to reassure the newly fleeced. The only problem is in the overall logic itself - does anyone, down deep in their hearts, think that Meiners, Clopper, and Prather have the capability of out-thinking the entire publishing industry? It boggles the mind....

(My mother-in-law just asked if we could all go to the beach together this summer, sort of take a big family vacation together, if you will. I so badly want to tell her that I'd just as soon stick lit match sticks up my heiny....)

Trepanny Peck

Registered
Reaction score
Prague. Home of cheap women and beautiful beer.
bluwinteryfox said:
How do the legimate publishers deal with these types of books? That question just came to me. People say on the pamb that they can't get one of the big publishers to look at their books because it's not what they are looking for. If a book about childhood abuse is well written, how does the publisher or agent know the person is really emotinally able to accept what the public at large may say about the book?

I don't know, but I'm reminded of Slushkiller;

It’s nice that the author is working on his/her problems, but the process would be better served by seeing a shrink than by writing novels.

I was abused myself, so I am not unsympathetic to fellow victims, and I completely agree that it can be very helpful for people who have had problems to write for therapeutic reasons. This doesn't mean that anyone would want to publish or buy 200 pages of self-analysis and catharsis. You can get much the same effect by clicking here, for free.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Ah, phooey, that's why nobody called in! I was hoping to chat with my pals here. :) Hi folks! Ed's awesome, and I think I fell right into his contagious southern drawl by the end of the call. To summarize, we talked about writing in general and why I started AW, then talked about all the problems with PA, Atlanta Nights, Eli and the Purple Pony, happy PAers, etc.

MDM, I think we all understand your frustration. We're gonna get there, and we're here for you. It stinks to have to be patient when it's something that feels as urgent and important as this, but hang in there. I am more convinced than ever that we're succeeding.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
JennaGlatzer said:
Ah, phooey, that's why nobody called in! I was hoping to chat with my pals here...*snip*

Had 4 tabs open and was clicking away on each of them from 11 to 11:30 Pacific. It was like trying speed dial on two phones to win a radio contest and getting the buzy signal the whole time. *sigh*

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Trepanny Peck said:
I was abused myself, so I am not unsympathetic to fellow victims, and I completely agree that it can be very helpful for people who have had problems to write for therapeutic reasons. This doesn't mean that anyone would want to publish or buy 200 pages of self-analysis and catharsis. You can get much the same effect by clicking here, for free.

That's one of the sadder things about PublishAmerica - they take advantage of people who have had bad lives and make them worse...

it's horrible that anyone has had to go through any sort of traumatic experiences, but any publishing professional will tell you that it's just not good enough to slap your memories down on paper and toss it out into the market. You need to have more than just a horrible experience to make it palatable to the readers, sorry to say. There's got to be something more to "I survived this awful thing" for it to appeal to the readers.

but the majority of personal books I see on PA are just retreads of the same old tune - now, don't get me wrong, NONE of these people deserved any of what happened to them and it's a credit to their internal strength that they've survived and moved onwards and upwards - but these books are more therapy journals than books that appeal to the reader. It's sad, but that's what I've been told by the professionals - and they might just have a better take on it than PA.

PA just takes advantage of them by printing these books and then ripping them for cash afterwards. Another sin for which I'm sure ALL the staff at PA will be spending a bit of time in the Hot Place for.

as usual, jmo - ymmv.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
How do the legimate publishers deal with these types of books? That question just came to me. People say on the pamb that they can't get one of the big publishers to look at their books because it's not what they are looking for. If a book about childhood abuse is well written, how does the publisher or agent know the person is really emotinally able to accept what the public at large may say about the book?

Great point, and honestly, the publisher/agent never really knows what the author can handle. That's not their responsibility. What IS their responsibility is making sure that the author is not subjected to unnecessary harsh criticisms for sending a book to market that's not publishable. If you look at the criticisms of these types of books that PA has printed, most of them have to do with the mechanics and writing problems, not the story itself-- that there are spelling/grammar errors on every page, that the writing is "childish," that there were too many unexplained leaps of logic, etc. Those are things a legitimate publisher would have noticed, and either rejected the book, or, if it was compelling and marketable aside from those flaws, had an editor work with the author until those flaws were gone.

I once wrote a mostly-autobiographical script that dealt with my childhood rape, and I did submit it for public scrutiny-- I put it up for critiques on a screenwriters' site. It was excruciating to wait for feedback. I learned that even if the story was ready to market, I was not ready to market. Any criticisms, no matter how small, felt like personal attacks because the material was too sensitive for me. Even though I have a thick skin otherwise. Even though I thought I was "over it." It is a brave act, and I think it's noble to want to speak out about things like this... most do it with the intention of helping others who may be in the same situation. But even with the author's best intentions, the book still needs to hold up against any other commercially-published work.

Memphis Ed

Big Elvis fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edhorrell.com
JennaGlatzer said:
Ah, phooey, that's why nobody called in! I was hoping to chat with my pals here. :) Hi folks! Ed's awesome, and I think I fell right into his contagious southern drawl by the end of the call. To summarize, we talked about writing in general and why I started AW, then talked about all the problems with PA, Atlanta Nights, Eli and the Purple Pony, happy PAers, etc.

MDM, I think we all understand your frustration. We're gonna get there, and we're here for you. It stinks to have to be patient when it's something that feels as urgent and important as this, but hang in there. I am more convinced than ever that we're succeeding.

BUMMER!! I guess the radio station server was down.

Jenna was terrific, as expected. We had a great time and she is a great interview. I'll be having her on again.

Never fear, though. We were heard by a nice listening audience live in Memphis and Atlanta, and I'll have the interview on my website later this week.

She was terrific....

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I must say that this sticking up for the little guy stuff really rubs off. That little vent I had last night about some (non-certified) letter a lawyer sent me about something I have been making for over a year now, since BEFORE his patent number was issued, thank you very much. (I've gone back and deleted the post, it didn't really belong.) Well, it got me moving.

Seems this same company has been trying to get other people to pay up as well. I actually found someone who is putting together a lawsuit and wanted my story.

I paid it forward and told a list I'm on about it. Every body needs to stand up to this extortionist.

What does this have to do with PA? It just reminded me of you all, that's all. :) People of like minds coming together to put down injustice and keep our freedom to dip stuffed bears in hot wax... OR write what we want and not have it exploited. Whatever.

Fight the Power!

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Of that, I have no doubt, bro...

Memphis Ed said:
Jenna was terrific, as expected. We had a great time and she is a great interview. I'll be having her on again.

Never fear, though. We were heard by a nice listening audience live in Memphis and Atlanta, and I'll have the interview on my website later this week.

She was terrific....
...and I look forward to listening when you get it posted up. Ed, at this rate, you're gonna be the newest member of the "Big Eight" as you are definitely bombing out PA with some major negative publicity these days. And Jenna, I'm gonna check out your newly developing Southern drawl, if you sound authentic enough an honorary Southern citizenship may be in order...

Last edited:

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Christine N. said:
Wouldn't that make it the Big Nine then? LOL
No, because NO ONE wants to see the big fight they'd have to see who gets to be Seven of Nine.
biggrin.gif

Kris

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Just updated and expanded the Print on Demand page at Writer Beware...among other things, I've added a discussion of the POD "stigma" and some of the deceptive terminology employed by our good friends at PA. As always, I'm open to suggestions if there's anything you think should be added/changed, etc., or if you have good links to suggest.

It's great to see all the newcomers here. Welcome!

- Victoria

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Ed Williams said:
Sorry if I am being a tad sarcastic, I have my in-laws with me today, and I would rather suck crap through a straw, to be honest about it. Looks like lots of posts for me today....[/b]
[/color]
I've been doing that straw thing all day -- blood, though, not the in-laws. I love 'em, but -- they're gone. Yippee! Now I can do whatever I please. :flag:

Did anybody ever get the radio show to come up?

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Ed Williams said:
Simply put, and with no malice intended, the odds of an unknown author selling out at a booksigning is pretty minimal.
I sold out a B&N signing during one of my last (meaning, doing no more future promotion) runs...granted, they could only get 4 copies in from the warehouse...

Jeff

Quixote without a cause
Registered
Reaction score

Close. It is a variant of that, the way I read it. You see, to a particular newbie PA author all us "bashers" are either the owners of vanity presses or the employees thereof. So, with PA taking so many customers away from the vanity press we will all have to declare bankruptcy and find new jobs.

Time to find honest work, I guess. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.