The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got one, you guys, and I couldn't have done it without you.

It's my first fiction short story acceptance ever! A 1200-word story that will be published in Mused: The BellaOnline Literary Review.

It was the first W1S1 story I wrote. That's called Beginners' Luck. Don't worry, I have about 6 rejections on stories 2, 3, and 4. But I got one. I'm so happy. :Hug2:

Huge congratulations, Cynthia!

It looks like the BellaOnline website gets half a million visitors per month. That's far more than an average magazine or ezine we submit to. The exposure should be excellent.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
I got one, you guys, and I couldn't have done it without you.

It's my first fiction short story acceptance ever! A 1200-word story that will be published in Mused: The BellaOnline Literary Review.

It was the first W1S1 story I wrote. That's called Beginners' Luck. Don't worry, I have about 6 rejections on stories 2, 3, and 4. But I got one. I'm so happy. :Hug2:

Congratulations, Sea Witch!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
The novelette is out the door! I'm far more worried than usual about this story. I think i've invested more in it than most of the stories i've recently written.

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
The novelette is out the door! I'm far more worried than usual about this story. I think i've invested more in it than most of the stories i've recently written.

Yay Izz for getting it subbed! It's tough with the stories you really pour yourself into, but success will be all that much sweeter, right? :)

I'm taking a break from the novel to finish something I started in November. It was my third novelette in a row; once it reached a certain length I got frustrated and quit it. I'm feeling mildly inspired at the moment so I though I'd give it another try.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Just sent off two stories to FFO. Had been lazy about editing them, but finally got it done. :D

Good luck with your novelette, Izz!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm feeling super productive, again.

Wrote and submitted a flash piece for the Big Think contest tonight, and sent out two previously rejected story, bringing up my total number of current submissions to 20! (I may have hit 21 or 22 once, but this is definitely on the high end for me)

I'm caught up with everything I've been working on and ready to write a fresh, new story. Got two ideas competing for my attention.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
Congrats Sea Witch!

I have been writing and submitting as well, even if I haven't been posting here. I have to say, it's super exciting though when you see so many people pushing themselves to succeed. And, of course, he more you send out, the better chance of rejection, but also the better chance for acceptance.

I'm mostly finishing up short WIPs I've had forever and polishing them up to send out. They aren't doing anything sitting on my hard drive.

Good luck to everyone with stories that are out right now!

Taylor V

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ironypolicy.wordpress.com

Are there many places that'll take novelettes/novellas? I wouldn't even know what to do with one if I wrote one.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Are there many places that'll take novelettes/novellas? I wouldn't even know what to do with one if I wrote one.
Not as many as publish shorties :) Fortunately, my novelette is at the low end of the novelette word count--9,700--so i can sub to markets that take up to 10K.

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com

Giganotosaurus. Fantasy and Science Fiction. Asimov's. Writers of the Furture. Abyss and Apex does up to 10K. I think Colored Lens takes novelettes, but I could be wrong.

ETA: Also Musa, to sell as ebooks.

For those who've been submitting to Penumbra, this is a new interview with the editor: http://sixquestionsfor.blogspot.com/2012/02/six-questions-for-celina-summers.html

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I did a rather extensive (if I do say so myself) review of Arcane 2 horror anthology on my blog, if anyone is interesting in that sort of thing.

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
Hey all! I've seen a couple of you around in the SYW forum :)

I've got three stories out right now - one at Tor.com, one at BCS, and one at Clarkesworld. The Clarkesworld one has been under review since this morning, and the one at BCS has been out for 36 days.

I'm biting my nails! What do you do to distract yourself from repeatedly checking status?

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Andrea.

The proper answer is that you should write another story.

But mostly I just play Spider Solitaire and make peanut butter on toast.
And then I check some more. Lol.

Good luck with your stories.

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
Lillie - hmmm...peanut butter on toast. Maybe I should try that. :) I'm working on three writing projects right now - two novels and a short story - but I'm still antsy about the ones on submission.

I think they should make a machine that makes you forget about your submissions until you get a rejection or acceptance. I used to put random bills into the pockets of pants I didn't wear for a while so I could be surprised when I happened across them. Something like that...

Duotrope - love it and hate it, all at the same time.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all! I've seen a couple of you around in the SYW forum :)
I've got three stories out right now - one at Tor.com, one at BCS, and one at Clarkesworld. The Clarkesworld one has been under review since this morning, and the one at BCS has been out for 36 days.

Andrea,

What spot in the Clarkesworld queue are you? I'm 10th and have been under review for nearly 24 hours now. Definitely getting a little twitchy.

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
I'm 8th, for what it's worth. Sounds like it's an AW parade.

As for stopping yourself from checking status, I say, just go with it! Nothing tells me I submitted like obsessively clicking on that link...it's like watching an egg hatch, and you don't know if it'll be a fuzzy little chick or something that'll bite you in the never-mind.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I alternate between them, Lightspeed and F&SF if I feel the story is strong enough. Of course, they haven;t felt that the story is strong enough yet :) Just got my rejection for the Clakesworld story after about 24 hours, a few minutes back.