The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Ed Williams said:
Ah, it is now time for me to land my Pickle Plane here in the Valley of Vixens in order to rejuvenate myself. Remember:

When evil is about,
and Moe-randa starts to pout,
just give a big, ole shout,
to The Pickler!
Vixens everywhere can rest easier in their beds this morning, knowing The Pickler is on the job. This fair maiden is ever so grateful, oh, Lord Keeper of the Moe-Randa Repellant. Carry on! There be Stooges to slay. :Hug2:

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Steve 211 said:
So, just by listing the company, Writer's Digest Book Club is actually promoting PA to all those beginning writers.

The Book Club is a quality outfit, and so I'm hoping they're unaware of PA's reputation and aren't sinking their own by pushing the fact that their members have been published.

And I also hope that a few of the members and moderators here will send Writer's Digest Book Club a letter informing them of how unprofessional and immoral it is to send any author to Them Who Must Not Be Named.[/size]

I've seen these things happen in UK mags too - I think it was Writer's News I was reading a copy of and their 'members sold' type page was full of vanity-pubbed and PA success stories. Very depressing, especially as I think a portion of their readers probably don't have access to the net to find out the truth about said publishers.

I suppose the mag might be concerned they could lose readers if they don't mention their 'sales' or if they told the truth about PA. *sighs*

Last edited:

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
MartyKay said:
Fifteen Thousand Posts:
Poor PA Writers, Lied To
How many suffer?
:Shrug:

:)
MartyKay, I dub thee Official Haiku Priestess.:Clap:

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Diana Hignutt said:
Sorry, I'm trying to find more to time to work on my bloody last book in my bloody trilogy (so's I can become a literary giant like many of my colleages here) and I didn't have time to come up with anything better.
Diana, I've been promising myself all week that I will work tirelessly from today straight on through Sunday. Sometimes I lie to myself. It's hard when one must wrestle this insidious board addiction. If I can find an appropriate recovery program to sign myself into, I'll sign you up, too. How's that?;)

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Steve 211 said:

So, just by listing the company, Writer's Digest Book Club is actually promoting PA to all those beginning writers.

The Book Club is a quality outfit, and so I'm hoping they're unaware of PA's reputation and aren't sinking their own by pushing the fact that their members have been published.

And I also hope that a few of the members and moderators here will send Writer's Digest Book Club a letter informing them of how unprofessional and immoral it is to send any author to Them Who Must Not Be Named.

WD runs paid ads from dodgy, fee-charging agents, among other things. I questioned them about this a few years ago, and they said that fee-charging was not de facto unethical, and essentially blew me off.

They're not going to alientate their advertisers, apparently.

Last edited:

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Know your enemy

I looked up a few people out of curiosity just to see what they look like and get some back ground information. My Dad always said, “know your enemy” and for me that means physical too. It is much easier for me to talk about someone if I can visualize him or her so this is a start. I was amazed that “the one we don’t speak of” looks like he just walked off the set of “One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest”. Here’s the link if anyone wants to get the heezy.
www.post-gazette.com/pg/05022/446283.stm

Last edited:

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Sher2 said:
Diana, I've been promising myself all week that I will work tirelessly from today straight on through Sunday. Sometimes I lie to myself. It's hard when one must wrestle this insidious board addiction. If I can find an appropriate recovery program to sign myself into, I'll sign you up, too. How's that?;)
Little Missy, you best hook me up with this program because I got in trouble when my hubby came home last night. It's very important that I take his suggestions and get this bathroom wall papered before we put the house on the market. I didn't get anything done and he says "What the hell have you been doing all day?" With a quick response I shouted "Trying to get a green square! What the hell have you been doing?":banana: Some peoples priorities....sheeeeesh.......

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
mistri said:
I've seen these things happen in UK mags too - I think it was Writer's News I was reading a copy of and their 'members sold' type page was full of vanity-pubbed and PA success stories. Very depressing, especially as I think a portion of their readers probably don't have access to the net to find out the truth about said publishers.

I suppose the mag might be concerned they could lose readers if they don't mention their 'sales' or if they told the truth about PA. *sighs*

It was an ad for PublishAmerica on the back of one of my copies of Writer's Digest that sent me to them. Silly me, thinking that they'd not put an ad for a scam company on their magazine.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Sher2 said:

Ugh, I have the same problem. I should be rewriting, but I'm cruising the boards instead. I need to stop this compulsion of mine.

Hey, didn't Diana get out of her PA contract? Why is her book (Moonsword, not EoC) still listed on Amazon?
Or did I miss something.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1591292468/ref=pd_sim_b_2/103-2034739-6799058?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
T42 said:
I was amazed that “the one we don’t speak of” looks like he just walked off the set of “One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest”. Here’s the link if anyone wants to get the heezy.[/color][/font][/color]
www.post-gazette.com/pg/05022/446283.stm
Ain't he purrrrrrty? Looks like a prime pickling candidate to me.;)

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Christine N. said:
Hey, didn't Diana get out of her PA contract? Why is her book (Moonsword, not EoC) still listed on Amazon?
Or did I miss something.
Christine I am glad you asked that because that is something I have wondered about. Does Amazon only advertise PA books? The reason I wondered is because the mayor's wife just published a book and is getting all sorts of publicity and book signings at B&N here in Houston and her book is listed with Amazon I think. I'm sure if she is published by PA she is only getting this much attention on her book because of who she is...

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Sher2 said:
Ain't he purrrrrrty? Looks like a prime pickling candidate to me.;)
My guess would be that he has already been pickled most of his life...looks more like formaldehyde to me...

Sparhawk

Jenna's Cabana Boy
Registered
Reaction score
And his faithful sidekick

Ed Williams said:
It is I, The Pickler, Literary Defender of Truth, Justice, and all that is Good and Right in the literary world! As I fly high above the skies here in my personal Pickle Plane, I spot the following on the PA boards regarding the length of their contracts:

Life term? I've never had a publisher I ever signed with ask for a life term, typically about three years has been the norm for me. Uncle Jim, Victoria, Jenna, what typically do y'all see out there re length of contracts?

Ahem - back to the Literary Super Hero business. In my line of work, you cross paths with some pretty dastardly super villains. Here are a few of them that y'all can help me keep an eye out for:

The Yarbrough Man - This dastardly cur wears a cowboy hat, totes a six shooter, and will kill anyone who mentions the color purple. And watch out for his sidekick, the notorious Pony Boy...

Luscious Lola - Beautiful, smart, and cunning, she turned to crime because of a broken heart over the literary loss of her lover, Shemp. If you push her into a corner, she takes out her Electric Editor and zaps you, which causes your brain to spell out every word you think. While you are standing there immobilized, Lola changes your publishing contract to royalities paid on net sales minus the owner's vacation costs...

Special K - The most dastardly thing about this super villain is his profound love for PA, which he expresses in a variety of ways. Never engage him in the discussion of POD vs. POD, as this will enrage him and he will become quite the preditor...

Ah, it is now time for me to land my Pickle Plane here in the Valley of Vixens in order to rejuvenate myself. Remember:

When evil is about,
and Moe-randa starts to pout,
just give a big, ole shout,
to The Pickler!

Gherkin the boy wonder. "Holy Bookmarks Pickler, we must stop this Travis Tea... to the Purple Pony !!"

writerjenn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferlynn.ca
Sheryl Nantus said:
It was an ad for PublishAmerica on the back of one of my copies of Writer's Digest that sent me to them. Silly me, thinking that they'd not put an ad for a scam company on their magazine.

(raises hand) Yep Sheryl, it was the same for me.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
T42 said:
Little Missy, you best hook me up with this program because I got in trouble when my hubby came home last night.

Mine always comes back, too. What IS the answer?!
I didn't get anything done and he says "What the hell have you been doing all day?"
And you didn't clobber him?! Girlfriend, you are in dire need of some instruction.;)

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Sparhawk said:
Gherkin the boy wonder. "Holy Bookmarks Pickler, we must stop this Travis Tea... to the Purple Pony !!"
I had to read that twice. I thought you said strap Travis Tea to the Purple Pony. :banana:

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Sher2 said:
Mine always comes back, too. What IS the answer?!

And you didn't clobber him?! Girlfriend, you are in dire need of some instruction.;)
Well, unfortunately because I made the mistake of going with PA on my book he has this "I told you attitude" most of the time and now it's like he thinks it is a waste of time to try to get my book back. Okay, maybe he thinks it's a waste of time to talk about it online all the time...who knows what he thinks....I think I need to get the vet over here and have him put down:tongue

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Christine N. said:
Ugh, I have the same problem. I should be rewriting, but I'm cruising the boards instead. I need to stop this compulsion of mine.
Clearly, I am still cruising, not working. I am PAthetically addicted. :crazy:

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
Sher2 said:
Can I have that vet's number? :thankyou:
I guess I could send her to your house right after I send her to the "townhouse". Believe me my vet(my daughter) would have no problem putting down the stooges. She really doesn't like people anyway:)

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Will The Pickler and Gherkin escape the clutches of the Vile Stooges?
Will Justice and Proper Grammar reign once again?
Or will our heroes be forever trapped in the Land of Poz,
For the Vile Stooges to relish in their demise?

For the answers to these and other exiting condiment-related questions, tune in tomorrow: Same pickled place, same pickled time!

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Christine N. said:

Or did I miss something.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1591292468/ref=pd_sim_b_2/103-2034739-6799058?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

Yeah, Christine, that's a little thing called copyright infringement. One of these days, they'll regret that big time. I can, sadly, say no more about this publicly, at this time...

Diana

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
How about this? All you folks who went with PA after seeing an ad in Writers Digest, write a nice letter to the editor about your experiences.

(But here's a word of advice for y'all: If you see a publisher or an agent advertising in Writers Digest, cross them off your list. If it weren't for ads from scammers WD would go out of business.)

Status
Not open for further replies.