The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
astonwest said:
The question of the hour is, if they cancel your contract for not signing the agreement, will they stop selling your book?
Good question because, Lord knows, a little thing like lack of a contract hasn't stopped them in the past.

M. Story

Pollyanna with n attitude
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
T42 said:
M. She already knows it's cute now stop trying to suck up!
emoticonbox.gif
Speaking of...publishamerica sucks big time and I hope they are looking over the new book covers. They might want to steal some...I mean borrow some!
biggrin.gif

I had a reply to you poised & ready, but went to post it and I had a system failure. Now I'm having a menopausal moment and I can't remember what I wrote. Oh well...I do recall that my entry was better than yours!
emoticonwag.gif

As someone posted on the other thread, the covers that have been entered are better than those that PA designed. I also like the idea of putting out a coffee table book with all of the cover entries. Maybe we can get 200 entries, along with 200 dissatisfied PA'ers, and we've got another best seller!
emoteThumbs.gif

M.
<A vote for M. is a vote for me.>
emoteLilLove.gif

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
THEY liked my synopsis (new and improved one) and they want to take a look at the entire book. NO, not an offer yet, but it's alot further than I ever would get had I stayed with PA. Maybe it won't be the right book for this publisher, but THEY LIKED IT ENOUGH TO ASK TO READ THE WHOLE THING!!!. THESE ARE NICE PEOPLE PA, YOU PEOPLE ARE NOT.

Good luck! :hooray:

M. Story

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
bluwinteryfox said:
I know the Pickler. I've entered the Pickler sidekick contest. So if he decides to pick me as his sidekick, We'll finish the job that Atlanta Nights started. So PLEASE vote for one of my entries. http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10733

Blu, the pickler contest is one thing, and my winning the Atlanta Nights Fake Book Cover contest is another. Let me say this as nicely as possible...
I'm gonna win!!! I'm gonna win!!! I'm gonna win!

And, keeping on topic, of course, PA is the Pitts!

M.
EmoteGuitar.gif
singing to you & T42: "It must've been cold there in my shadow..."

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
M. Story said:
I had a reply to you poised & ready, but went to post it and I had a system failure. Now I'm having a menopausal moment and I can't remember what I wrote. Oh well...I do recall that my entry was better than yours!
emoticonwag.gif

As someone posted on the other thread, the covers that have been entered are better than those that PA designed. I also like the idea of putting out a coffee table book with all of the cover entries. Maybe we can get 200 entries, along with 200 dissatisfied PA'ers, and we've got another best seller!
emoteThumbs.gif

M.
<A vote for M. is a vote for me.>
emoteLilLove.gif
I have some tea for menopause! Don't choke (I mean) overdose on it!:D I think a coffee table book is a great idea. My cover could be the cover of it!:wag:
What happened to the beautiful lady in the beautiful hat that came over from PA recently?

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
NancyMehl said:
Sherry,

I believe so. She didn't mention signing anything, and she has been upfront with a number of people about her experience, so I would assume she feels free to say whatever she wants to. PA made a mistake with this woman. She is quite a powerhouse.

Nancy

She emailed me the other day and indicated she didn't have to sign anything. They simply sent her a letter of release by certified mail. :Clap:

T42

Herb Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p097.ezboard.com
M. Story said:
Quit trying to bribe me?
tongue.gif
I'm still voting for myself...
emoticonbanana.gif

M.
Is that U?:roll: We have turned you into a monster! A cover girl monster no less! Now, I'm really going..... so stop trying to resonate behind my back or I will tell eveyone how spline-less you are!:kiss:

orraloon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adrifterslegacy.co.uk
A wee update

This was my email to PA on April 9th..……

In a message dated 07/04/2005 17:17:56 GMT Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

Yes, as we revolutionize the industry, we're vaguely aware of the false statements and misconceptions that the Internet contains​
Dear Author Insult Team,

I have to agree that PublishAmerica has changed the publishing industry - by inflicting more pain and disappointment on authors than any other company since the Deering Scam.

"We've recently hired additional staff and moved into larger quarters."

Do the "additional staff" know they are complicit in a cruel scam?

"There is no lawsuit pending at all, class-action or otherwise, no threat of any lawsuit, and no problem whatsoever."

Dream on.

"Your lawyer apparently agrees with us, and with all of these other agencies that you mention, as we have not heard from him/her."

Watch this space.

"Please read our boilerplate national news response below for a better understanding of the industry."

Are you seriously suggesting that failed authors Mr. Meiners and Mr. Cloppers understand the industry? There is an enormous difference between perfecting a moneymaking scam and understanding the publishing industry.

And again, instead of spouting off in such a fashion with nothing of substance, please identify what you think we have said or posted that is not true. We'd be interested to see it! The screen shot you mention probably says that your book will be available through all bookstores nation-wide, and discusses bookstores' policies on bookstore stocking, right?

My legal advice is not to discuss PublishAmerica's proven lies. All will be revealed in court in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,

………………..

As usual I sent copies to all PA staff members, Uncle Tom Cobley an' all.

Yesterday I received the Settlement Agreement & Release they promised last November (it was franked April 6th.) signed by Janet Morrissey and, inevitably, contained the iniquitous Non-Disparagement provision. Of course I wouldn't sign such a document and will tell them so. The $10.85 PA spent on registering the letter is quite noteworthy, I think. With great effort I will exercise restraint in my reply and hope for a similar result to that enjoyed by ByGrace - but I won't hold my breath:faint:

Meanwhile the post about Authors Den reminded me that I have a page there that needed updating so I have made the necessary changes and added my article for good measure http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewarticle.asp?id=17919&AuthorID=12721

Best to all.

M. Story

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
CaoPaux said:
...that author admits: "My online book sales have stunk!"

and, "Also, no I will never get rich from my book. The books I sell on my own I turn the funds rights around to purchase more books. Books sold by other means which generates royalites...those funds are immediately donated to the non profit I am associated with to help other children." ...

I know that author and he's a great guy, however he's another PA loyalist who has had a very rough time with trying to promote his book. I think he's still in denial, as I used to be.

He is having some financial problems because I think he actually thought that he was going to make enough from his book sales and speaking engagements to start a new career. He is quite sincere & has a good story to tell, but unfortunately, he chose PA as his publisher. IMO, I feel that had he waited for a better offer from a legit publisher, it just might have actually happened. He definitely has writing talent & has worked hard to achieve his goals, but when you're associated with PA, you're
EmoteHeadbang.gif

Even if he had self-published, he would be much better off than going with PA.

Marlene,
sad for PA'ers like Larry
emoticoncry.gif
who work so hard for so little

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
T42 said:
Sheri, are you stirring up trouble.:hi:
Of course, I am! Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere.;)

I hope you're making up a humongous batch of those brownies to take on the road trip. You are getting on the bus, aren't you?

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
orraloon said:
This was my email to PA on April 9th..……

In a message dated 07/04/2005 17:17:56 GMT Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

Best to all.

This must be their new form letter. I hope you get the same release letter ByGrace got as well, Eddie. Keep us posted.

M. Story

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
orraloon said:
This was my email to PA on April 9th...

.....Meanwhile the post about Authors Den reminded me that I have a page there that needed updating so I have made the necessary changes and added my article for good measure http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewarticle.asp?id=17919&AuthorID=12721

Best to all.

Great post!
emoteThumbs.gif
GO GET 'EM, EDDIE! Loved the article about PubliSHAMErica! Hope others will take time to read it!
emoteClap.gif

Marlene

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
The problem is....

Ann said:
It amazes me the "deals" that PA can come up with to keep the authors hanging on. I feel this author's excitement. I hope that her book is well written and errors free enough, that the PA blight doesn't pop her potential bubbles.

http://www.publishamerica.com/cgi-bin/pamessageboard/data/main/11974.htm
.....that there's no way this author's book can be a big success. That's the most insidious part of the PA system, they have policies and practices in effect that kill off the chances for a shot at a successful book experience. Think about it - if you run out and promote, promote, promote your book, what happens under the PA system? You might get your book into one or two bookstores. And let's say people buy your book, the word gets out, so what should the result be? You should get into more bookstores, right? With PA, as soon as word of your book gets beyond your local bookstore managers you're dead - other bookstore managers who don't know you will not carry your book due to the high price, the no-returns policy, and the non-standard discounts. The facts, unfortunately, are these - a PA book is DOA right out of the gate in terms of potential success for the author. That's awful, and PA does it to thousands of people each day.

Let me say something else to make my point - my first publisher was a tiny one out of Texas, a mom and pop type operation. When my book started selling, they were approached by a distributor (who they ultimately signed with), and then Books A Million picked the book up and put it in all their bookstores. If a tiny press run by a retired husband and wife can get books distributed into bookstores, why can't PA? The answer - THEY DON"T WANT TO.

It's just so sad....

P.S. Sherry, bad girls have lots of things going for them, I just can't enumerate them here, email me for specifics....

dan.gif

Last edited:

Memphis Ed

Big Elvis fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edhorrell.com

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Ed Williams said:
Let me say something else to make my point - my first publisher was a tiny one out of Texas, a mom and pop type operation. When my book started selling, they were approached by a distributor (who they ultimately signed with), and then Books A Million picked the book up and put it in all their bookstores. If a tiny press run by a retired husband and wife can get books distributed into bookstores, why can't PA? The answer - THEY DON"T WANT TO.

It's just so sad....

P.S. Sherry, bad girls have lots of things going for them, I just can't enumerate them here, email me for specifics....

dan.gif
Exactly. They - Don't - Want - To. It's not what their business model is about. Personally, I think there's something else going on up there, and it's not selling books. In any case, here's what will happen if the poor disillusioned authors work their fingers to the bone and actually overcome the odds and sell a lot of books. PA will drop them like a hot potato.

P.S. -- You ain't tellin' me anything I don't know, honey. :kiss:

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Memphis Ed said:
All of you AW posters and lurkers...stop whatever you are doing and read Eddie's Authorsden article.

Great job, Eddie.

Excellent article. Great job, Eddie.

Memphis Ed

Big Elvis fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edhorrell.com
Ed Williams said:
So, the facts are these - a PA book is DOA right out of the gate in terms of potential success for the author. That's so terrible, and PA does it to thousands of people each day.

Well said, Bro....you have to hand it to PAs ability to survive in spite of this widespread knowledge. I would be interested to know the total number of sales by the PA authors who attended the last convention. Have they mostly morphed into non-selling authors who simply like to chat?

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't posted here much in the past few days (I'm sure some of you were hoping I was gone) but that was because my wife had a seizure Friday night (first one) and busted her head open on the counter. After frantically getting my four year old to get the phone, (I was trying to keep her on her side so she didn't aspirate and staunch the profuse bleeding from her head) he was to scared to walk by his mother on the floor, bleeding, I called 911. Was put on hold, told them what happened and hung up. Called my mom to get here and watch the kids and called my wife's mom. As I'm there trying to stop the blood she comes to about four minutes after the seizure started. After 45 minutes later the ambulance shows up, they got lost.

So, a trip to the ER, 7 staples in the back of her head from a 2.5" laceration that was to the skull, a broken pinkie toe and a weekend in the hospital undegoing tests to find out what caused this and a frantic day studying for a test yesterday I'm back, worse for wear but her nonetheless.

Just a little FYI for you guys...don't have a seizure, you won't be able to drive for three months and if you hit your head you it leaves a nice headache.

What scared me was that my wife had just gotten abck from the store with my oldest child when it happened. She was home for about ten minutes when it hit. Thank God she wasn't driving.

How does this deal with PA? I think she got tired of hearing my gripe about them and her brain overloaded causing the seizure. So, PA cause seizures.....IMO.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
zizban said:
What IS PA's business model?
To sell about 75 copies of book to author's family and friends. Any copies the desperate author buys are gravy.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Kevin Yarbrough said:
How does this deal with PA? I think she got tired of hearing my gripe about them and her brain overloaded causing the seizure. So, PA cause seizures.....IMO.
Heh. My best to you and your wife, Kevin. I pray it never happens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.