Is your cover adjusted automatically to fit...

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
If I epub my book using KDP when I select my cover photo does KDP automatically adjust the size so that it shows appropriately on the book or must I make sure that it is the proper size beforehand?

I hope that question made sense.

Deleted member 42

You have to size it. You want a .jpg that is 600 x 800. Remember that most Kindles are gray-scale only.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
You have to size it. You want a .jpg that is 600 x 800. Remember that most Kindles are gray-scale only.

Hi Medi! :) Yes i read their formatting instructions but the way they read it said 'atleast' in front of that little 600x800 comment which made me wonder if they fit it to size or if i have to actually be exact..the word 'atleast' threw me off and sent me scrambling here for an answer.

You will have to forgive me. I am a complete NOOB with all of this epub stuff.

On top of worrying about the cover, I am now trying to figure out how on earth to make my text look right on my kindle...I thought i had it when i turned my doc into PDF and then converted to MOBI in Calibre but I took a second look and noticed i lost ALL of my indentations.

So, i started reading all the threads on HTML etc etc and to be honest, that is all just foreign language to me! When I see it, what i actually see is BLAH BLAH BLAH LOL!

Thanks again for the answer now i better go make sure my stupid cover is the right size while i correct my indentation problem. And I have no whiskey in the house

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If it is larger but still the right proportions it will probably be downsized, but automatic downsizing can mess up the graphic.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
If it is larger but still the right proportions it will probably be downsized, but automatic downsizing can mess up the graphic.

Yeah, that's what i was assuming would happen. Now to go figure out the size my cover image is. I used a basic letter sized canvas so I kinda got this feeling it might be too big

And i thought the damn writing was the hard part. All this other stuff is turning out to be a real nightmare.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I use 500x800 graphics, so I can use the same art at Smashwords.

That's the 1:1.6 ratio that Amazon suggests.

Here's what they say in their FAQ:
Dimensions

Requirements for the size of your cover art:

• Image dimensions of at least 500 by 800 pixels.
• A maximum of 2000 pixels on the longest side is preferred
• Ideal height/width ratio of 1.6
• Save at 72 dots per inch (dpi) for optimal viewing on the web

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
I use 500x800 graphics, so I can use the same art at Smashwords.

That's the 1:1.6 ratio that Amazon suggests.

Here's what they say in their FAQ:

Thank you kindly!

Now, I just have to figure out how to make sure my image meets those requirements. There are more buttons in photoshop than there are shoes in my closet :/

And I gotta be honest; this is turning out a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. Several times today I have wanted to just quit. I really have. It has been a difficult day for me.

I had this little moment where I was feeling sorry for myself and having this little conversation in my head in my best spock voice : *Damnit Jim, I'm a writer not a cover artist/editor*

Deleted member 42

I had this little moment where I was feeling sorry for myself and having this little conversation in my head in my best spock voice : *Damnit Jim, I'm a writer not a cover artist/editor*

This is one of the best reasons I know of to not self-publish. Find a publisher, then spend your time writing.

It's what writers are best at.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Don't give up, WackAMole. Once you've done it a couple of times, you'll get the hang of it.
On top of worrying about the cover, I am now trying to figure out how on earth to make my text look right on my kindle...I thought i had it when i turned my doc into PDF and then converted to MOBI in Calibre but I took a second look and noticed i lost ALL of my indentations.

If you're using Microsoft Word, do the following:
1. Save the document in MS Word.
2. Save it again as a web page, filtered document (HTML).
3. Open MobiPocket and upload the web page, filtered document.
4. Add your cover image.
5. Upload the prc file to Amazon KDP (it may be listed as Kindle content on your computer).

As far as the cover image, I make the original image fit on my normal computer screen (one inch margins all the way around). I use Word to create my covers, though, usually from one image with text boxes added. I copy it to Paint and also to Photoshop (since I'm still learning how to use it). I insert the finished image into my original story document. If you want to see what it looks like, follow any of my links below.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
Don't give up, WackAMole. Once you've done it a couple of times, you'll get the hang of it.

If you're using Microsoft Word, do the following:
1. Save the document in MS Word.
2. Save it again as a web page, filtered document (HTML).
3. Open MobiPocket and upload the web page, filtered document.
4. Add your cover image.
5. Upload the prc file to Amazon KDP (it may be listed as Kindle content on your computer).

As far as the cover image, I make the original image fit on my normal computer screen (one inch margins all the way around). I use Word to create my covers, though, usually from one image with text boxes added. I copy it to Paint and also to Photoshop (since I'm still learning how to use it). I insert the finished image into my original story document. If you want to see what it looks like, follow any of my links below.

Thanks heaps!

I am an ex corel draw user from back in the day. Second to writing, is art. I decided to give photoshop a try. I am actually surprised it turned out as well as it did but that program is a real pain in the butt to learn. Id say all in all, the cover was a two day project and i learned alot. Kinda looking forward to learning more. Ill go check out the links! I am always interested in seeing how others do stuff like this! Thanks again!

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
One more thing. I had a hard time finding the prc file to upload.

Here's the file path I had to go through to get to it:
C:
Users
Merri
My Documents
My Publications
XYZ - Name of book
XYZ - Name of book prc (mine says Kindle Content)

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
I have one last request and i will apologize in advance for even asking but i am at my wits end.

Would one of you be willing to resize my jpg for me to the amazon standards?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
There isn't an Image > Resize option that allows you to specify absolute pixel width and height?

-Derek

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
In Photoshop... under the File menu you want to select 'New' which opens a box that allows you to create a new document. In this 'new' box the top three options allow you to asign width, height, and resolution in various measurements. You want pixels for width and height, and 72 dpi for resolution.

Create & name your new document. Open the image you wish to copy and paste and size into the your new PS document.

I like to use the rectangular marquee tool to select the image, but you may use whatever copy & paste method you're comfortable with. Once you paste your image into your 'new' PS document, you may have to resize it to fit your new PS document guides.

Save your document as is before attempting the scale change.

Under the Edit Menu, select Transform then select Scale.

The image as it was pasted into the new document will originate in the top left corner of the image area.

Read this before trying it: You will need to click on the square 'corner' of your image - holding down the mouse button as you do this, and the shift key! Now 'drag' the image down (or up) in size to fit the preset guides of the PS document. Once you have it where you want it, click on the rectangular marquee tool in the tools window and a window will open asking to apply the change... you say apply, perhaps move the whole image into the guides... and then hopefully save the image in the format you wish.

It may require more manipulation than that...
but those *should be* the very bare-bone basics.

*unless, of course I need more coffee this morning* ;)

-kells-

Last edited:

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
A Thank You

Hey,

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here in the epub department that took time to help me out.

If we were neighbors, you would have a piping hot plate of 'blondies' covered in maple butter sauce on your doorstep.

It is not easy learning all the ins and outs sometimes, but with people like you guys, it's a lot easier (and funner!)

Special thanks to James Macdonald and Merrihat..the world is a much cooler place with people like you in it.