Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Writing For Kids
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2011, 12:07 AM   #1
Smish
Reads more than she writes.
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Lightbulb Monthly Writing Prompts

Need inspiration? Try one of the kidlit gang's monthly writing prompts!

1. August 2010

2. September 2010

3. October 2010

4. November 2010

5. December 2010

6. January 2011

7. February 2011

8. March 2011

9. April 2011

10. May 2011

11. June 2011

12. July 2011

13. THE BACK-TO-SCHOOL KIDLIT WRITING CONTEST!

14. August 2011

15. September 2011

16. October 2011

17. November 2011

18. December 2011

19. January 2012

20. February 2012

21. March 2012

22. April 2012

23. May 2012

24. June 2012

25. July 2012

26. August 2012

27. 2nd Annual Back-to-School Kidlit Writing Contest

28. September 2012

29. October 2012

30. November 2012

31. January 2013

32. February 2013

33. March 2013

34. Writing for Kids Spring Contest

35. May 2013

36. June 2013

37. July 2013

38. January 2014

39. February 2014

40. March 2014

41. June 2014

42. July 2014

Last edited by Smish; 07-03-2014 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Updating with latest writing prompt
Smish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:09 AM   #2
MsJudy
practical experience, FTW

MsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
ew, smish, now you got 'em all sticky...
Old 03-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
Butterbean
This boy just ain't right

Butterbean is a shiny, shiny jewelButterbean is a shiny, shiny jewel
Thanks Smish now we can all remember which prompts have already been done.

The Adventures of Butterbean and the King &
Butterbean and the King, The Tale of the Crown Jewels
Butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I could have used that for this month when I was seeing what types of prompts we've done. BTW, I'm loving the prompts.

Click here to see a video of my two years in Uganda with the Peace Corps

Resingled Needs another round of betas. Interested?
Nyasaland Undergoing major repairs.
WIP: Cloak of Iron. WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 43,000 words.
Chris P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
jvc
Fearsome Dragon Mod
AW Moderator

jvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Great sticky thread and the prompts are great.

There comes a time in your life when you just have to run outside and shout 'banana' as loud as you can. Are you there yet?

Come follow me on Twitter (@JedCullan) for random stuff, plus regular #OnThisDay with humour.

My Blog: A Few Random Thoughts
jvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:30 AM   #6
Smish
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
By the way, we're happy to let newbies participate in the writing prompts and have their prompt responses critiqued in the Share Your Work section. The Starting new threads in SYW - fifty post count requirement thread provides instructions for you:

Quote:
Added: on the subject of writing challenges that take place within SYW, and new members wanting to participate but being unable to post their challenge because they don't have 50 posts yet... there's a very easy way to get around this:

Reply in the challenge thread -- it would help if you include your story title and challenge details in the subject line -- and then use the report post button or PM a SYW moderator or supermod to request that your post be moved into a new thread in the same forum. (Any subsequent posts in the challenge thread in reply to your post, will also be moved into the new thread.)
Make sense? PM a mod if you have any questions.

Smish
Old 07-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
DavidBrett
Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas

DavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admiration
Real life has been a nuisance and stopped me from typing up my entry for the last two months prompts. But my laptop no longer seems to be cutting out so I may just be in luck. Once I've eaten I'll type up all 11 pages (yes, 11 - sorry) and upload it either tomorrow or Monday, ready for the new prompts.

Authors warn me writing children's books is a lot of work - signings, school events, literary festivals, a blog, etc. I always reply "I WANT THAT!"

I don't claim to be a professional (yet). I just try and help others when and where I can.

Follow me @symplesymon
DavidBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #8
Smish
AW Moderator

A whole YEAR of prompts

I'm so proud of the prompts the kidlit gang has created, and even prouder of all the fabulous responses to the prompts. You guys are awesome.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:26 AM   #9
AnthonyPearson

AnthonyPearson is well-respected
How funny is it that I'm happy my plans for Friday fell through so I can get some writing done? Now I just need to stay away from Words with Friends on the ole time suck that is Facebook.

Baby Bear Eats the Night is here!

Available in e-book version, real book version, and hologram.

Well...maybe two out of the three.
AnthonyPearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:14 AM   #10
eheart12
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

eheart12 is on a distinguished road
Those are cool prompts. So far, I have haven't been writing lately and I enjoyed browsing over people's works. Receiving so much inspiration.
eheart12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:28 AM   #11
Smish
AW Moderator

Remember, everyone, that the prompts never expire. You can write a response at any time.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:58 AM   #12
sunshine7

sunshine7 is on a distinguished road
thanks!
sunshine7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #13
GmaPajama

GmaPajama is on a distinguished road
Monthly writing prompts? How fabulous!

I'm still new here, and am happily soaking it all in. I saw the September prompt early this morning and have already completed a story (and 2 re-writes). I don't have enough posts yet to share my work, and I'm not sure I'm ready to risk the critique process, but what an amazing exercise. As a picture book writer, my challenges are many - but I do understand how to successfully combine rhyme and meter. I'm actually starting to think I'm pretty good at this, and am happy to have one more story in my stash. Just in case I ever manage to get an agent interested.

So ... Thank You for the writing prompts. After I've cleared my mind, I think I'll work your list and see what else materializes between myself and the keyboard.
GmaPajama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #14
Smish
AW Moderator

GmaPajama: The 50-post requirement doesn't apply to monthly prompts (see post #6 in this thread for directions), so if you decide you do want to post your story, you can!

Glad you've been inspired by the prompts.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #15
GmaPajama

GmaPajama is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smish View Post
GmaPajama: The 50-post requirement doesn't apply to monthly prompts (see post #6 in this thread for directions), so if you decide you do want to post your story, you can!

Glad you've been inspired by the prompts.
OK, I can't believe I'm going to do this - but I am. Something about growing that thick skin ... You'll look for it to be moved from the September Prompt thread, right?
GmaPajama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #16
CALVIN M

CALVIN M is on a distinguished road
So I decided that I needed a "Prompt Fix" I looked at and grabbed the challenge right away for the Aug 2010 prompt.

It's back-to-school time! Your homework: write a children's short story containing the following: 1) a back-to-school scene, 2) a yard stick or ruler, and 3) a shark (because it's Shark Week and, well, you know, because sharks are cool).

Temporary title: "My Coolest Substitute Teacher Ever"
CALVIN M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:12 AM   #17
RuthD
careful...you'll end up in my novel

RuthD has earned our admirationRuthD has earned our admirationRuthD has earned our admirationRuthD has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALVIN M View Post
So I decided that I needed a "Prompt Fix" I looked at and grabbed the challenge right away for the Aug 2010 prompt.

It's back-to-school time! Your homework: write a children's short story containing the following: 1) a back-to-school scene, 2) a yard stick or ruler, and 3) a shark (because it's Shark Week and, well, you know, because sharks are cool).

Temporary title: "My Coolest Substitute Teacher Ever"
Ooh, I remember that prompt! It was one of my favorites. I wrote the start of a chapter book... which I really do intend to finish some day.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #18
Smish
AW Moderator

Sorry I've dropped the ball lately, guys. I've been very busy lately, moving to a new place, starting a new job, etc. I've posted a prompt for January. Have fun!

And, as Calvin proves in his post above, there's no expiration date on prompts. Any time you need a little inspiration (or I forget to post a new one for the month...), there are tons of prompts to choose from.