The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Morning, purgs! Not much going on here so far. Kind of hoping it stays that way; I could use a mental rest.

Colby!!!! :e2woo: :hooray: :e2woo: So happy for you, girl!

{{{Cindy}}}

{{{Caleb}}} So sorry. :(

Amarie, she's beautiful.

Yay to TasKiddo!

...Lord, I need more coffee. Lots more coffee.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, all.

Amarie, your cat is gorgeous. I love black cats. We have one that is super-neurotic. She's beautiful, just incredibly needy.

I'm going to post for luck and it's going to fall to page 889. I know it.

ETA: It didn't! Maybe I will get this damn fellowship application done!

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Mornin' folk!

I'm here. S'about all I got.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Morning all
{{Caleb}}
{{X-Cin}}
:hooray: for Colby!!

*pets Amarie's gorgeous kitty*

Not too much going on here. Had a writing mini-meltdown yesterday, followed by upbeat email from agent wanting to talk about my draft on Friday. Emocoaster, I ridz it.

Becky, wandering off after Sunna, hoping she's located the coffee stash.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
We're supposed to be getting a 'significant' snowfall tomorrow morning, like bring the country to a halt type snow. Have already seen a few flakes drifting down. Makes me glad I work from home!

I'm stockpiling chocolate. :D

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
Morning purgs.:)

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
I'm stockpiling chocolate. :D

Have stocked up on sherbet lemons. :D

I have a blog post up on the TEB blog today. It's asking what squicks people out when they read a naughty bit in an erotic romance. Feel free to drop in and leave a comment.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Damn it, I guess I have to wait for page 999.

I did get a thousand words in already today, which for me is pretty decent in these days of slump-fest.

The construction across the street is noisy of late, though, interrupting my concentration. I find it hard to believe it's worth the trouble to bump the front of the house out four feet, but clearly the new owners disagree. And I'm reminded that at least the workmen do not play music or hold shouted conversations, like some do. I'm just hearing hammers and power saws and such.

I can't usually write away from home, but maybe today I should give it a shot.

Maryn, who could always do something else

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all.

Have to leave work early and take Mr. Snaps to the dentist today to have his last two wisdom teeth removed. Since he is world's worst patient...should be fun.

copperbeeches

Registered
Reaction score
*slithers to the floor in excitement/dismay*

I'd been hoping to avoid having to write a synopsis... but now it looks like I have to.

I feel like I really need to write a love letter to QLH. I've only sent out seven queries so far but I've been getting a really decent response rate.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Purgies. I have gotten so much done and am feeling quite accomplished.

We got Episode 2 up for MythB3h@ving! We are booked into August!!!

And my first guest author is up on my blog. I have plenty of openings on that, so if you'd like to visit and talk about your published book, please rep me.

O.M.G. I really am getting things done! Like for reals and such.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I feel like I really need to write a love letter to QLH. I've only sent out seven queries so far but I've been getting a really decent response rate.

Glad you're getting a lot of requests. I wrote a query that everyone in QLH loved, which then got an astounding request rate of ... 5%. Think I'll be skipping QLH in future. :tongue

copperbeeches

Registered
Reaction score
Glad you're getting a lot of requests. I wrote a query that everyone in QLH loved, which then got an astounding request rate of ... 5%. Think I'll be skipping QLH in future. :tongue

Thanks. :) Sometimes they do seem to adhere pretty strictly to a formula which might not necessarily work for certain books. But I also think that getting it workshopped there helped me clear my letter up.

And I don't know if "a lot of requests" is really the right word, haha. I've sent out exactly seven letters so far, mostly because I've been trying to avoid having to write a synopsis!

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
mornin' puglets!

yes, 8 sounds like "fa" in cantonese
which means to expand and grow.

999 will be fantastic too because it sounds
like lasting. or ever lasting. we're big
on longevity in chinese culture. or maybe,
think of it as longevity in your writing career?

hugs to lily pie who has a stomach bug. =(

congrats to tas and little tas!!

headed to the taiwanese bakery to order
some treats for my LA signing on saturday.
i can't do a signing without some good food!

local signings i cater from extraordinary desserts
and it's fantastic! local puglets know! =D

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
*slithers to the floor in excitement/dismay*

I'd been hoping to avoid having to write a synopsis... but now it looks like I have to.

Yay! But boo, synopsis. Although writing mine did help me think about what scenes to cut. If I had to stop and think, why the hell did I put this in here? What's it doing for my story?, then it got cut.

As much as I love QLH and spend my time there, I don't know if it's helped me. My shiny new QLH-approved query did snag me a full request from an amazing agent, but out of 20 or so, that's been it. My last query was, frankly, kind of a mess, but it got me about a 10% request rate.

But I also am (was? have I stopped? not yet) querying a weird novel that has strange genre things happening.

QLH works, I think, so a specific sort of query. The query style doesn't work for every project (which is heresy to say, in QLH, but sort of true).

ETA: I'm probably going to jinx myself by posting about this here, but remember a few weeks ago when I was dreading a nudge? Agent has had my full since March. I'd given up on it, but I thought, what the hell, and sent one last nudge. Agent has been on leave, remembered me enough to send me a detailed email about my manuscript, and asked if I had revised it since. I sent the agent my current revision (produced after that unsuccessful double-R&R). After that whole two full rejections in one day experience, I'm not holding out hope. But I am. Because I love my manuscript and I want someone to love it enough to represent it, too. So, I am not holding out hope for this agent, but someone, somewhere, at some point.

The waiting is brutal, ain't it?

Last edited:

copperbeeches

Registered
Reaction score
I guess my problem is that all of the scenes are necessary in some way (every chapter is one 'day' so it's pretty tightly written by necessity) but it's a multiple POV novel and so the structure of the synopsis itself is giving me some issues. I keep writing, scrapping, writing again. At least once I get it done I can also start querying agents who ask for a synopsis up front instead of avoiding them. ;P

Also, yay mayqueen!! Fingers and toes and other bits crossed for you. Totally get that feeling -- both loving the MS and holding out hope, and the brutal waiting.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let's hope the luck of the page sits on all of us.

Sit on my faaaaace ♪
♫ and tell me that you luck meee.
I'll sit on your faace ♫
and tell you I luck you,
toooo ♪

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
Ami, your kitteh is so cute :)

Yay for mini-Tas on her green belt :)

What page do we move?

I am loving the new job but its not leaving much time to relax or write during the week :(

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
I guess my problem is that all of the scenes are necessary in some way (every chapter is one 'day' so it's pretty tightly written by necessity) but it's a multiple POV novel and so the structure of the synopsis itself is giving me some issues. I keep writing, scrapping, writing again. At least once I get it done I can also start querying agents who ask for a synopsis up front instead of avoiding them. ;P
Multi POV synopses are not anyone's friend. I tried to write mine like a detached third party. "These things happened..." instead of, "MC 1 did this, MC 2 was off lamenting about this, and MC 3 thwarted MC 1's plot by doing this..." I have no idea how effective it is. Synopses. Hates them.

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
My brain is turning to mush after two straight days of working on my new website. I yearn for the day when I have someone who can do ALL THIS CRAP FOR ME!!!!!

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously, what f#&%@$ is up with artists not answering their G%#$#%@!$@M emails.

Bogna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bemaslanka.wordpress.com
Good afternoon y'all. Still waiting to get an e-mail about my R&R. School has already swamped me with homework and it's only the 2nd week of the term. All I want to do is crawl back in bed and cuddle with my meow-meow.

Status
Not open for further replies.