Side-kicks in MTS - who's missing?

lexxi

bold enough for both those XXs
Registered
Reaction score
Is the character a stereotypical gay sidekick whose primary function is to provide comic relief and/or a sounding board? That's where you could run into trouble.

(Some discussion of the gay best friend trope in a different genre in this current Share Your Work thread)

If the sidekick is a three-dimensional character in his own right, with personal and professional goals and relationships aside from supporting the main character, with many individual character traits only some of which are related to sexuality, then you've got an interesting recurring character who, among other things, is gay.

Milo Sturgis in the Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware novels comes to mind as an example.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
She's a traditional Englishwoman, could be all, "Weird, a man for a secretary" or something.

You said she is upper class, right?

Then you need to be careful with the above. The upper classes traditionally had men in postions of power with male secretaries. And I don't mean your typical office secretary who does the typing and makes the coffee.

If you are going to go with the upper class Englishwoman as your MC, you'll need to do your research to avoid her also being a stereotype.

Last edited:

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I was planning to have him be pretty much the opposite of the gay stereotype, maybe not even make it known until 3/4 of the way through the book. He would definitely not be there for comic relief, not at all. I don't see why he couldn't be from the wrong side of the tracks, the tough kid Mike identified, AND be gay. That's kind of what I like about the idea.

And Miranda, point taken. :) Although I think I'll be okay on the research -- I may be a Texan now, but I spent the first 25 years of my life among the kind of people my MC would be.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Cornflake, I won't ignore you because I appreciate all opinions. My agent does want it to be a guy sidekick but... it could still be her secretary. She's a traditional Englishwoman, could be all, "Weird, a man for a secretary" or something.

My wife just suggested a gay man. (We're very pro gay rights and she's huge 1D fan... anyway...) Are there gay sidekicks? Thoughts on having one?!

Yes, there are gay sidekicks, but weigh your audience carefully. You will gain some readers with a gay sidekick, and you will lose others. Perhaps enough to shift the market.

I don't think a fish out of water woman from England is going to be believable with a street wise black kid as a sidekick, and if you add gay on top of this, you're really drifting over into making a statement, and into political correctness.

There's nothing at all wrong with a novel that's intentionally written to make a statement, or to portray your beliefs, but everything affects market.

I'd go with one or the other, not both. I think the streetwise black kid is the most unbelievable, unless you give her a background that makes dealing with someone like this natural, or have something happen that forces her into making this choice.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe she just likes him when she meets him? Maybe she needs someone who knows what they are doing in that place and circumstance? He will certainly be able to go to places and speak to people that she can't.