Too short!

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Help! I'm working on the third book in my Kevin Markinson series, and it's too short. It's only about 57k right now, and the first two were right around 80k each. I'm good at making books shorter when editing, not so much at making them longer. I'm going through it and adding some scenes, putting in action instead of telling about it, but I'm running out of places where I can do that. I wrote this book a long time ago, and I'm full of doubts about it, even as I rewrite it and fix the issues. Maybe I just need to vent, I don't know. Feel free to ignore me. Unless you have ideas on how to make a book longer. :)

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I took a 60k first draft to a 100k final draft, but it was a total rewrite. The biggest thing was adding a major new subplot - which ended up altering some of the main plot. Other than that I found I was ending scenes summarily, rather than actually going through them at a natural place - turns out when I'm doing first drafts I tend to be too fast paced.

Good luck!

thelastwordsmith

Brother's Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
What about adding minor plot twists? You can take your time developing it too, as long as it merges with the main plot idea. Don't have to turn it into 24, dammit.:D

Last edited:

reiver33

Monolithic
Registered
Reaction score
You could add 'chrome' - more detail to set the time and place, or what seems like padding but is actually forshadowing the next book in your series. For example, an encounter with a character unconnected to the current case but who crops up later.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
I'm not sure ninjas would fit in this story. Blowing things up is a possibility, or perhaps the threat of blowing something up, to create a distraction. Nothing like an explosion on the other side of town to accomplish what you need on your side of town.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly. See, heyjude? Explosions. They help with everything.

Ninjas are also helpful on occasion, but they can't be deployed as often as explosions.

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
Thinking of subplots - is there anything you can add that isn't part of the main plot but affects character development that ultimately affects the main plot?

My MC does tang soo do (basically because it's the martial art I practice and I thought it would be easier to describe movement). My husband, who is a higher rank than I am, was given a task by Master Min. Find parts to the fuel pump in his 1998 Ford Contour. I wrote it into the MS because I thought it was hilarious (likely because I don't have to do squat yet, being a lowly orange belt).

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
tarak - interesting. I do have lots of little subplots for character development, because I tend to care more about the characters than the plot. But I am looking at adding a bit more to one of those little subplots to make it bigger and have it tie in to the main story more.

My main character does some Tai Chi because I took Tai Chi in college. :) He had classes in prison. :D

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
I write way too short. I clip everything too much -- description, action, aftermath. My beta readers said they were gasping for breath (and not in a good way) because I never let anything breathe.

Not sure if this is the case for you since I think a lot of people have the opposite problem, but maybe see if you can expand on existing scenes? When I went back and did that with my last WIP I added almost 20,000 words (and my beta readers thought the pacing was much better).

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Fizgig, yes, I tend to write the bones. I like sparse. It's hard for me to add more, but I am actually finding spots where I did the tell not show thing, and by fixing those, it's getting longer.

InkStainedWench

It's a dirty job, but...
Registered
Reaction score
"It was a very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very dark and stormy night."