Hounding After Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
My eldest son sent me this link. It's funny, and oh so appropriate for the Hounds! A "cookbook" for OUR kind of barbecue!

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
Junely, about 20 years ago, I found a book in B&N that was something like "Forbidden Dishes" or "Taboo Recipes". It was full of offal and other stuff nobody really eats anymore. About 1000 recipes. I can't seem to find it again on Amazon because I don't remember the exact title.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I did. They were funny!

Because of my OCD, this is going to bug me until I find it.

ETA: I found it. Unmentionable Cuisine. One of my OCD quirks is that I get a bug in my brain and I have to find the answer. I hear a song, I have to know what it is. I get asked a question I don't know the answer to, I have to find the answer. I've spent days on the web searching for stuff when it gets bad. I'm glad I found this so I can get back to writing.

Last edited:

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Ted - it must be the season for lack of sleep. I'm having wicked nightmares and then waking up early because the sun thinks it's morning.

Speaking of funky cooking, I'm always half-looking for a market for a weird little story about a tentacled chef...

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Good morning hounds :sword

Just to be awkward - because you know I can - I am sleeping better than ever these days. I used to be the lightest sleeper in the world.

I did something radical yesterday. I joined an art forum so I can learn how to sell my artwork.

I need more money. Hmm, better get writing then too.

:Coffee:

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
At the risk of getting myself thrown out of here I have to tell you that I'm listening to an audio reading of 14 stories by Edgar Allan Poe, I'm on number 3 - Berenice - and quite frankly I'm bored stupid.

Someone tell me that they're going to improve, please. *Clutches at straws*

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
"The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar" gave me nightmares for almost a week. And it was one of the stories I didn't read until I was an adult, so you can't blame my cowardice on youthful inexperience.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
as it's not included I shall go and chase that one up at Librivox..Some of the more famous stuff is towards the end so maybe my opinion will change.

*Clutches at further straws*

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reading a book, and I feel like my brain has been molested by the vengeful spirit of ... something weird and horrible. Hieronymus Bosch, maybe?

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Which book? Something Lovecraftian, I'd guess, given the "weird and horrible."

Hey hounds!

My muse kinda went *poof* when I started working again, but I'm trying to get back into my main WIP. So far it's slow-going, but I'm anxious to start writing actual words.

Also, I'm getting caught up on Hannibal, cause DAMN.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
"The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar" gave me nightmares for almost a week. And it was one of the stories I didn't read until I was an adult, so you can't blame my cowardice on youthful inexperience.
That story and Tell-Tale Heart were probably the reason I got into horror in the first place. If one phrase can be said to be the reason horror caught me, it's this one.

As I rapidly made the mesmeric passes, amid ejaculations of "dead! dead!" absolutely bursting from the tongue and not from the lips of the sufferer, his whole frame at once—within the space of a single minute, or less, shrunk—crumbled—absolutely rotted away beneath my hands. Upon the bed, before the whole company, there lay a nearly liquid mass of loathsome—of detestable putrescence.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
The book is "John Dies at the End," by David Wong. I'm just now starting the sequel, "This Book is Full of Spiders."

It's effed up, boys and girls.

And I can't remember why I got into horror. The earliest story I REMEMBER reading is "The Hand" by Guy de Maupassant. i think. It was part of a collection of short stories my sister gave me when I was in first or second grade. I know I read it so long ago that I wasn't sure if I had actually read it, or just imagined it. Only about five years ago did I confirm that it actually existed (the Internet is a wonderful thing).

What I do remember clearly is buying a copy of Dracula when I was in second grade, over my father's strenuous objections. He didn't want my taste in science fiction to be adulterated by anything as untidy as horror or fantasy. Poor man; an SF junkie and SF purist at the same time. :D

Last edited:

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Addendum: around the same time I read "The Hand," I read a couple of other stories. Maybe they were in the same collection, I don't know. One was about a rose quartz bell that acted like a monkey's paw. The other was about a man being chased by a vengeful ghost; he knew it was close because the vengeful ghost had a club foot and when he walked, it made a terrible hissing, dragging sound with its limp.

I remember the vengeful ghost one because, the next Saturday morning I woke up to that very same hissing, dragging sound, and it scared me so badly I wet my own bed (I was only eight). Of course it wasn't a limping ghost, it was my mother tearing cloth in the front room (squaring the selvedges of some cloth she was going to be sewing with later that day).

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
John Dies at the End has been on my list for ages--can't seem to lay my hands on it. I could do with a good brain-scrambling. It's been a while since House of Leaves.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I'm the opposite. I've got House of Leaves -- two copies, in fact -- but have not yet gotten around to reading it. Well, more accurately, I read about two chapters, was put off by the style and laid it aside. I've heard the hype, and am intrigued. But I think I need to give myself a little more time before I attempt to try reading it again.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it took me the better part of a year to get through it, but it was worth it.

Can't remember when I first got into horror. . . I feel like I've always been intrigued by it, but I was so squeamish as a kid I tended to look away even as I was being drawn in. I loved ghost stories and anything with vampires, but would never describe myself as a horror fan until around the time I went to college. I don't know what happened exactly. That was when I first saw The Ring, so maybe that was it? Not getting into horror, but finally admitting that I loved the stuff.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I attempted House of Leaves as a group read on Goodreads a few months back. The house bits were good, but I quickly got sick of the rambling, put the book down, and ended up passing it off to someone else.

I'm currently reading Fangtooth by Shaun Jeffrey. Been fairly standard cliche stuff so far.

Been a rough time today, nowhere near as much writing done as I wanted to get, but the night's not over yet. Also got a lot of editing to do this weekend. Got my most recent manuscript going out next week for an evaluation. Then a few more revisions and I'm going to submit it to Samhain Publishing. I'm also considering Permuted, but I'm unsure with their claims of having up to a two year backlog of books to publish and I've had some bad issues with one of their editors. Any other reputable horror publishers people can recommend?

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Yeah. It wasn't pretty at the end, and I only just found out how bad it really was. If I went with Permuted, I certainly wouldn't work with her again and I'm not sure what it says about them that they're using her to work on some of their books now.

Status
Not open for further replies.