Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Writing Gods, save me from ever saying anything like this EVER!

And I quote from an acquaintance on Facebook:

"As a writer, I am good at figuring out plots, and usually know the ending of every movie before it gets halfway through. So I knew before I watched Downton Abbey Episode 4 what was going to happen. And yet it was so well done that I wept along with everyone else. Bravo, BBC."

Bolding mine.

Really? I mean, really? Y'all are welcome to cut off my fingers with rusty spoons if I ever say anything like this.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
The powers of the monarch are much diminished since the days when they had much of a force in that regard. And I doubt we would get a dictator from the batch of people who are in politics right now.
Yeah somehow I can't see any of Britain's politicians ruling with an iron fist. For a start, none of them are charismatic enough to get the rabid support they'd need to get themselves installed into such a position. Britain's approach to electing leaders boils down to "which one do I want to punch the least?" it seems.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Toddler is trying to get me to kill him. He hates me and wants to see me rot in jail.

*crawls in hole to sleep and hide from 3 yr old rage*

This is why I'm never having a kids. I would end up in jail.

ION: I haven't written yet. Got sidetracked by job searching. I'm rather disenchanted with my current workplace. I used to like it, until an evil bitch manager decided she wanted strip my hours away because I didn't agree to go along with her stupid plans. She do so without telling me. And the best part? Her plans failed miserably anyway. Also, all the micromanaging makes me want to do mean things to certain people. :rant:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Y'all are welcome to cut off my fingers with rusty spoons if I ever say anything like this.

If you want to post that in the Hounds, you'll get a more... interesting answer. :D

For a start, none of them are charismatic enough to get the rabid support they'd need to get themselves installed into such a position.

I can think of a few people with charisma, but they went to the EU where they have even less power.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Being grumpy and crying since the moment he woke up this morning.

Is he teething? That seems to be the root of most of Logan's grouchiness. And why I refuse to feed the little sh- um... snot. *cough*

He's possibly frustrated with something.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I know I'm the churchy one in the Cantina, but what troubles my mind about Charles taking the British throne is that he'll be head of the church. A divorced man, who, to all appearances, cheated on his wife while they were married, and who, after divorcing her, ended up marrying his DIVORCED mistress.

The Church of England frowns on divorce. It's one of the foundations of the church (and isn't that ironic, considering a divorce is how the silly thing started). They're going to put this pillar of fidelity and responsible family (NOT!) as head of the church? Strange.

ETA: I don't have an opinion about divorce. My mother in law was divorced from my father in law. My sister is divorced. I could give a rat. But the Church DOES care, and therefore his divorced status matters.

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I know I'm the churchy one in the Cantina, but what troubles my mind about Charles taking the British throne is that he'll be head of the church. A divorced man, who, to all appearances, cheated on his wife while they were married, and who, after divorcing her, ended up marrying his DIVORCED mistress.

The Church of England frowns on divorce. It's one of the foundations of the church (and isn't that ironic, considering a divorce is how the silly thing started). They're going to put this pillar of fidelity and responsible family (NOT!) as head of the church? Strange.
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why by and large I don't pay attention to the Monarchy or the Church.

Well, this is one of the reasons I don't pay attention to the Church, specifically, but that's a conversation for a later date.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why by and large I don't pay attention to the Monarchy or the Church.

Well, this is one of the reasons I don't pay attention to the Church, specifically, but that's a conversation for a later date.

Please note that I did say I personally don't have an opinion on divorce; there are reasons for it, there are sociological impetuses, it's too complicated a question to say, "No, don't do it, ever ever ever!" That's idiotically simplistic.

But even if Charles is a figurehead, he'll be a divorced figurehead at the head of a church that frowns on divorce. Kind of defeats the purpose of a figurehead, don't you think?

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Please note that I did say I personally don't have an opinion on divorce; there are reasons for it, there are sociological impetuses, it's too complicated a question to say, "No, don't do it, ever ever ever!" That's idiotically simplistic.
Needless to say, I definitely agree with you on the idiotic simplicity of the Church's attitude towards divorce... and their attitude to other things too.

But even if Charles is a figurehead, he'll be a divorced figurehead at the head of a church that frowns on divorce. Kind of defeats the purpose of a figurehead, don't you think?
Yeah, that is rather moronic.

Really, the only thing about Charles' reign as King that people will be able to talk about after its over is that he wasn't quite the worst King Charles the country has ever had.

That's about as much discussion as he'll get once he eventually passes the throne to William.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Needless to say, I definitely agree with you on the idiotic simplicity of the Church's attitude towards divorce... and their attitude to other things too.

I do want to say that the Official Position of the Church on "other things" and what people really believe -- and for that matter, what Christ actually SAID -- aren't necessarily the same thing.

I know this isn't the forum for this discussion. But I wanted to repeat it, because it bears repeating.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I'm tired of being serious.

*considers stripping off nekkid for a dong garden dance. Decides against it*

It's too cold for that nonsense. Somebody give me a drink that goes well with potato soup.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Is it just me or is Downton Abbey is the most boring show in the world?

I don't get it myself. If I wanted to watch a soap opera in fancy dress, I'd just find Dark Shadows on Youtube, and watch that.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
By the way: Hi, Matty, have we met? I'm Junely, the Cantina naturist (though not really, only in cyberspace).

Status
Not open for further replies.